“Fun and Unique Place Despite Price” 4 of 5 stars

Activities: Dining, Viewing wildlife, Birdwatching
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Jungle Island is located between downtown Miami and South Beach. The park offers amazing animal exhibits, unique shows and up-close animal interactions unlike anywhere else.
West Palm Beach, Florida
15 attraction reviews
“Fun and Unique Place Despite Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We went to Jungle Island with a couple who had been previously. We all used coupons to bring the price down to a little over a hundred dollars for the four of us, so it is an expensive place. However, I have not experienced any other zoo or animal place quite like Jungle Island, so I would return despite the price, preferably in winter.

Jungle Island is unique in that it offers a ton of animal encounters. Immediately upon entering, you can hold parrots and a baby gator (not at the same time) while a photographer takes photos. Even though the photos are pricey, it's still fun to hold the animals without purchasing the pictures. There are parrots everywhere throughout the place, all on perches near little food dispensers or in larger enclosures. The big cats were sleeping since it was a hot day, so we didn't get to see much of them, but we loved the penguins, which are about a foot away and close enough to touch (don't touch of course, but the nearness is great). The primates were all awesome; we witnessed a mini tea party with the orangutans and their keepers because of the heat. The giant tortoises were attempting to escape while we were there: they might need to fix their enclosure because one was stuck between the bars for a few minutes until he extricated himself.

We did not get to see any of the shows or play with the kangaroos, so I would like to return in the future for that. However, I will probably wait for a groupon or something, because the price of the experience was a little high considering you can pay less for larger zoos in South Florida that have far more animals. The gift shop was standard but we didn't see anything we liked. The photos were far too expensive, and they wouldn't allow people to take pictures of their own holding the animals, so that was a huge bummer. We were particularly incensed that a trio with a large and very poorly controlled dog were allowed to roam the park and upset the animals. They also repeatedly tried to break rules, so I wish that instead of having people around to stop us from photographing the animal encounters, they would have had people removing others who were truly nuisances.

Overall, I will return, but I recommend families be prepared for a high cost experience. It would be better to go on a cooler day as well, so that a longer experience is not made miserable with sweating and heat. We all greatly enjoyed the place for the most part, and would definitely return despite the price.

JungleIsland, Manager at Jungle Island, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review of your experience. At Jungle Island, we value all feedback and will be sure to share your comments with our team.

You might want to consider returning soon. We just debuted exciting new attractions including a new Parrot Cove beach and aqua park, Africa Nights summer festival with performances from the internationally acclaimed Cirque Zuma Zuma, along with a Jungle Adventure pass. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

St. Kitts
5 attraction reviews
“A little disappointing...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was so pumped for Jungle Island. Specifically the kangaroo petting exhibit. We enjoyed that part very much. In general I found the animal space to be small and uninspiring. I felt badly for the animals and in other 'zoos' I've visited I've never felt that way. I also felt that for the price there wasn't enough to do and everything in the park was way over priced. You could get pictures taken with all sorts of animals but for $25 as the cheapest options I didn't find the interactions even worth it as I knew I'd never buy the photos. If in the Miami area again, I wouldn't go back and I'm usually very willing to give something a second try.

JungleIsland, Manager at Jungle Island, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit. We are disappointed to learn that your experience was anything less than spectacular.

Please know the comfort of our animals is our highest priority. All of the enclosures at Jungle Island not only meet but exceed the requirements set by Florida Fish and Wildlife and the USDA.

We encourage you to try us again and to enjoy the park from a different perspective, like a one-on-one animal encounter during a VIP Safari tour.
Miami, Florida
25 attraction reviews
“Fantastic place to visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Plan to be there almost all day, drink lots of water since all the attractions are on the open. Air conditioning is found at the restaurants and gift shops.
Lots of animals, must you can get near, beautiful birds. Of course this is not a zoo. Food is average price for this type of attractions, entry fee is charged, so is parking. A fantastic place to visit with children, family, friends, couples and even solo. Recommended if you are in town.

Visited December 2013
JungleIsland, Manager at Jungle Island, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. We’ve added many more exciting attractions since your last visit including a new water park, private beach experience and performances from the internationally-acclaimed Cirque Zuma Zuma. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
New York City, New York
“Ok for a couple of hours but expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We got there at lunchtime. Why do all these attractions have an inadequate café with terrible food options at high prices? My advice? eat before or after you get here.

On the subject of prices. $8 to park, then over $100 for a family of four (with a coupon!) to get in. Then extra to feed animals, visit kangaroos, etc etc.

Animals - really nice, but enclosures too small for the big cats. Monkeys, birds etc are fine. The shows were ok, not that interactive or even that informative. The main objective was to sell you more photo opps at the end!

The setting is really nice and it was fun for a while. Wouldn't rush back.

JungleIsland, Manager at Jungle Island, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. Jungle Island now offers a summer savings pass and just debuted a brand new water park, private beach experience and Africa Nights summer festival with performances from Cirque Zuma Zuma so guests can make a full day out of their visit. We encourage you to try us again during your next trip to Miami.
Myrtle Beach, sc
14 attraction reviews
“Relaxing and very enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

I had the pleasure if spending a few hours at Jungle Island. I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity of the animals with various avian favorites, monkeys and tigers. I had to have an ice cream sandwich from one of the machines which seems to be my normal zoo behavior, not much else for food except the cafeteria style restaurant. All in all it's enjoyable, a bit expensive but I'd do it again. The shows were interactive and very enjoyable and up close to the action.

JungleIsland, Manager at Jungle Island, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are happy to learn you had a relaxing and enjoyable experience. Jungle Island is home to some of the world’s most fascinating animals. It’s collection is quite diverse. We also like a nice ice cream sandwich on a hot day. Please visit us again next time you are in Miami.