“Beautiful birds”

Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas
Activities: Viewing wildlife, Birdwatching, Dining
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Traveler Description: The Everglades habitat at Jungle Island is nice, but very small, similar in smaller scale to Miami's Metrozoo (which has a lot more birds and animals... more »

There are newer reviews for Jungle Island
Miami, Florida
12 attraction reviews
“Beautiful birds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Really enjoyed feeding the many parrots. The shows had a great variety of animals. Petting the lemur was a fun plus. Liked the smaller size since we could get around to everything (at least twice) . Beautiful large cats, liger and white lion!

Visited January 2013
Miami, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Surprisingly good visit...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I took my granddaughter to Jungle Island with some misgivings (is there anything worse than a bad amusement park?) but was pleasantly surprised. Although it was the height of the season, the lines weren’t too bad and moved along efficiently. The ticket sales person informed me about the deal for Miami-Dade residents (a year’s pass for the price of an admission with I.D.) She kindly let me return with my I.D. to get the season pass later in the morning. I agree with fellow reviewers that it isn’t cheap to go to Jungle Island, but when you consider how much it must cost to maintain and care for the animals and grounds, plus all the staff (there were a lot of staff; which is a good sign) it seems like a fair price. But when you go, plan to make a day or a half-day of it to get your money’s worth and to see all the exhibits. We got snagged by the “get your picture taken with the animals” staff on the way in. I have never fallen prey to this scheme at amusement parks (I have my own darn camera) but the pictures they took of my granddaughter with multiple parrots and a monkey were of such good quality and so adorable I sprang for the $31 for 3 photos (+ the Jungle Island frame; which thrilled her). The park was well-groomed and the animal enclosures appeared humane and clean. The staff was young but very professional and friendly. We attended the main show and I appreciated that although the animals were on display and carried around by the animal keepers they were not forced to do humiliating animal tricks. All in all the show was educational and entertaining. The dining facilities are really pretty impressive. Jungle Island boasts that it is a great place for meetings, parties, etc. and I can see why – the main structure is spacious and well laid out. Although I didn’t eat at J.I. I will next time – the dining hall had healthy food choices and the prices were quite reasonable. It is hard to believe that J.I. is in the middle of a major metropolitan area; when you are in the park it feels like you are in… well, a jungle. It is so close and easy to get to that I may just return solo before my granddaughter comes for a visit – after all, I have my season pass!

Visited December 2012
Miami
7 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable Day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Nice day out with the young ones, relaxing, beautiful foliage. Enjoyed the shows, nice variety of animals.

Visited January 2013
Ontario
5 attraction reviews
“Great time New Years Day at Jungle Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We were on our last day of a wonderful 2 week vacation in Florida. Abt to head back to cold Canada....and we decided to take a day trip to Miami with our 9 yr old son. We found Jungle Island on line-looking at attactions to see in the area. And we decided to go take a look and we hoped it would be fun.
Well....it turned out that we LOVED IT!!!!
What a fantastic, hands on place! The animals were all close so the kids could see them, and many of the animals could be touched, held or even fed.
We loved the line of parrots along one of the walk ways into the park...we fed each and every one, enjoyed that experience so much!
Then being able to go inside the Kangaroo enclosure ...touch & feed them...wow...my son was in heaven!
The shows were outstanding, the staff were all kind & helpful.....
We loved it.... loved it...loved it....
This zoo is a little pot of gold.....thank god we took the time to see it!
Thanks again.....!

Visited December 2012
Miami Gardens, Florida
38 attraction reviews
“Parrot Jungle and me”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Played tourist again. Price to me a bit high but used a living social or groupon for this. Loved going during the week no crowds. At one show I'd guess 30 people. Went there when it first opened and didn't like it missed the trees and wildness of the old park. Now the trees have grown up and so had the park. Great animals which shows were a bit longer. Great popcorn next the big cats so ate and watched. They also charge for parking so be prepared to pay. Pick a day not just a few hours and enjoy yourself. I did and I know I'll go back as a tourtist again..

Visited November 2012