“Excellent place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Commodore Inn The Grove

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Commodore Inn The Grove
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   3162 Commodore Plaza, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #2 of 35 Specialty lodging in Miami
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Commodore Inn for the entire month of November while looking for a permanent residence in Miami . We were both very pleased with the hotel and the services we received at this place. Maggie the manager of the hotel was always ready to help us out with anything we needed while staying there. The hotel is pet friendly and conveniently located in the heart of Coconut Grove within walking distance to Coco walk and the Marina. The fully furnished studio that we stayed in was spacious and big enough to accommodate more than two people. It had big living room with pull up couch, chair, TV, dining table for four, kitchen equipped with basic appliances and cookware, decent sized bathroom and bedroom separated from dining and living area by curtain. In addition to all these amenities, it also has covered garage parking. We would highly recommend this place for short or long term stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Deer Park, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Commodore Inn this fall while visiting our daughter who is a freshman at the University of Miami. We looked at lots of housing options when we brought her down in late August; we made sure to allow several free days to look for a place to stay when we came back for longer stays. We liked the look (and reviews here of course) of the Commodore but the office was closed for the weekend by the time we found it so after we returned home I called and emailed back and forth with Maggie, the property manager at the Commodore, several times to work out the details of our fall stay and found her to be extremely helpful and welcoming, the perfect hostess.

The Coconut Grove area is perfectly located for us, close enough to get together with our daughter but definitely far enough from campus to be nowhere near where students would live. While a hotel room had been fine for our previous stays in the area over the spring and summer, the Commodore gave us so much more - access to a washer/dryer so we could do laundry, a full kitchen so we didn't have to go out for every single meal, and enough living space that my husband didn't drive me completely nuts with too much togetherness. I love the guy but really don't want to live in one room with him for long periods of time : ) With a living room/dining room and a separate bedroom area we could each have our own space and our own televisions too which is a major plus during football season.

We had never stayed in anything other than a full-service hotel before and knew we would be arriving very late at night (or as it turned out, early the next morning due to the American Airlines pilot's union slowdown that pushed our 830pm ETA to 3am the next morning, argh!) so we were relieved to see that the self check-in process was effortless, even easier than waiting in line at a hotel's front desk. Outside the building we just punched in the code that had been emailed to us in advance by Fatima in the Commodore's office, and were able to enter the gorgeous lobby (no exaggeration - it's an amazing ART GALLERY - I filmed it with my phone and will attempt to upload it - not sure if tripadvisor allows videos) and then found the row of lockers in the back of the lobby (exactly as described by Fatima's extremely detailed emailed instructions) hidden from view behind the glass elevator so as not to detract from the lovely artwork in the gallery/lobby, opened our assigned locker, signed the paperwork we found inside and left it there for pickup the following business day by management, picked up our remote that allowed us entry into the parking garage inside the building and our key card that allowed us into our apartment. An extra keycard was also provided and remained in the locker, just in case we misplaced our original during our stay. Also included was our wi-fi password. Really organized and really easy!

Now that I think back about that part, I remember that my husband was so zonked from the long day of flight delay after delay, then a flight cancellation : ( that he had waited in the rental car in front of the building during this check-in process, so "we" in the above paragraph should be replaced by "I", and I rejoined him two minutes after entering the building and we drove around to the back of the building and aimed the remote at the garage entry which promptly opened right up for us. We parked in the spot we had been assigned, used our keycard to enter the building through the garage and opened our apartment with the same card.

That first night we pretty much just collapsed into bed, exhausted after our long day of airline shenanigans. The next day we checked out our new digs in the light of day. We were pleasantly surprised to see how large the apartment was, since we had reserved a "studio". Both the bedroom and living/dining room were very spacious and the entire unit had ceramic tile flooring. The bedroom had a recessed tray type ceiling with accent lighting around the perimeter - very nice. The walk-in closet was huge - 5 ' x 5' or maybe even 6' X 6' with a safe inside. The bathroom was just beautiful.Large windows on the living room wall went almost up to the ceiling and let in lots of that wonderful Florida sunlight. That wall and our front door faced an open courtyard area in the center of the building which was really lovely.

All the appliances in the kitchen; stove, frig, dishwasher and washer/dryer unit looked brand new. The kitchen was outfitted with everything we needed - coffeemaker, blender. toaster, iron, ironing board, paper towels, silverware, etc. Well, not that I "needed" an iron - I'm not ironing anything that's for sure, but hubbie might have used it to touch up his shirts after unpacking them : ) I just spritz my clothes with water and let the wrinkles fall out if they're rumpled after a flight.

The whole apartment was extremely clean and beautifully maintained and it was the perfect place to stay for our situation, right in the middle of Coconut Grove in our own little private oasis.

The Coconut Grove area is really interesting - lots of cute little boutiques and restaurants including two on the corner of our block opposite each other (Commodore in located in the center of the block so these are half a block away) with tables outside where people were always sitting eating breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a drink while enjoying the gorgeous weather whenever we walked by. Commodore Inn is located on Commodore Plaza, a short street that runs for one long block between Grand and Main Highway. At the Main Highway intersection is Barnacle State Park, which we definitely plan to visit during our next stay.

The area has lots of young families; we were there during their Pumpkin Patch festival which is one of their many community festivals. (I saw a list on a banner strung across a street - they certainly host lots of festivals) We walked over to nearby Peacock Park to check out what looked like a thousand pumpkins, a hay maze to get lost in, carnival rides, etc and saw tons of families with little kids heading over for the fun. I was sort of surprised at this, having had preconceived ideas about the Grove being more of a trendy single's area focused on nightlife, but the area is very well rounded and has lots of family oriented activities.

We barely scratched the surface exploring the area during our stay and have so much more to do on our next visit. For us, the Commodore Inn is the ideal homebase for exploring all there is to do in the Grove while checking in with our daughter periodically :) We can't wait to return - this morning it was 24 degrees here in Illinois!

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor in the back of the building so away from any street noise - which we only h...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

In November 2011, I moved to Miami and lived in Commodore Inn for six months during my rotation. It was the best decision I could have made. Its location is extremely convenient with shopping, a wealth of restaurants and bars, a fitness center, convenience stores, a movie theater and the bay within a 5 minute walk. Within a 10 minute walk are two grocery stores.

Maggie, the general manager is awesome!1 I can honestly call her a friend. She is a great resource who is extremely caring and friendly. Her staff is wonderful! Anything I needed was attended to as quickly as possible.

Overall, this was a great experience and I had awesome neighbors. If I didn't have to move back to Chicago, I would still be calling Commodore Inn home.

Room Tip: Studios are pretty spacious!!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

My job was moved to the Miami area. While looking for permanent residence, we stayed at Commodore inn the Grove. It was great. Maggie was wonderful, and very helpful. The whole relocation process was made a lot easier because of Maggie and her staff. They all were friendly, helpful, knowledgable. Great experience.
If you are coming to Miami, I would highly recommend Commodore Inn the Grove.

• Stayed July 2012
CITG, General Manager at Commodore Inn The Grove, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for the lovely review.
It was really nice meeting you and having you here.
I hope you had enough time to unpack and settle down in your new home. You were a really fun and nice family.
Looking forward to seeing you in the area, and please spread the word and tell your friends to come and stay with us!

Thank you for staying with us.
Belgica, Francisco, Julio and Maggie
Almonte, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We thoroughly enjoy Coconut Grove as a location to visit in Miami. So we were happy to find the Commodore Inn. Maggie, the manager, was outstanding in every way. She always went the extra mile and her good humour was infectious. All the staff were excellent. The location could not have been better, and we enjoyed walking everywhere. Our two dogs were treated like princes. We had everything we needed and more...A great place, a great experience and a great value. Thank you Maggie!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
CITG, General Manager at Commodore Inn The Grove, responded to this review, April 29, 2012
Dear Sherry and Bob,

Thank you for your review.

It was really nice having you here.

As for Mr. Angus, "The protector of the world," and his nice brother, Mr. Charles, they both really were a joy! They won our hearts, from the moment they arrived to the day they left, it was a thrill! :-) We enjoyed having you here; super duper great puppies! It was also really nice to see you every day going for walk or to get a newspaper.

We hope you are enjoying your "new acquisition" and we wish to see you back soon. We would like to hear the news. We all miss you here.

The team… Belgica, Francisco, Julio and Maggie
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

In between relocating with work, I needed to find temporary accommodation in Miami for three months. After searching for furnished accommodation at a reasonable price, I fell upon Commodore Inn The Grove.

This place is outstanding. Not only is it safe, secure, clean and very convenient, Maggie is one in a million! She treated me (and my visitors) like first class hotel guests and friends throughout my stay.

I can guarantee that you will not find anything like this in Miami. Its an opportunity not to be missed!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
CITG, General Manager at Commodore Inn The Grove, responded to this review, November 20, 2011
Hi Joy,

I truly thank you for writing a review about us, it pleases us that you were happy with us. It was a top priority for us. We vow that "I" was going to look at every detail throughout your stay :)
We are really fortunate to have a great team. Our staff is fantastic!

I am glad that you enjoyed your visit, I can still remember your smile every time you pass by the lobby at my office and say hello.

Our “place” as you say is great, but you, our residents make it OUTSTANDING! It is the family atmosphere, the different feel that our building has, which makes it unique.
The Grove, our neighbors and our staff are a good combination in achieving this friendly and vibrant environment.

We look forward to seeing you sometime when you come to Miami for vacations or any other needs.
Thank you Joy, same to your family and friends,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to provide you with temporary accommodations.
See you soon, we hope is really sooooonnn :)

Belgica, Francisco, Julio and Maggie
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I have stayed twice in the Commodore Inn the Grove, the first time for work with my crew of 20 for about two months earlier this year, and the last time in september for few days on my own.
For work we normally look for places that offer comfort and safety but also if possible we look for a good location and some entertainment for our very diverse crew, here are some of the amenities we look for when accommodating crew: gym´s, tennis courts, bike routes, running paths, fishing, diving, dinning, etc.
What we found with Maggie at Commodore Inn was not just an exceptional up to date clean facility with spacious rooms & common areas, terraces, secure parking in one of the bests neighborhoods in the city. We also found in Maggie and her staff a full on concierge service, with details and contacts not just for the area but great knowledge of the hole region.

Among crew we all share the same felling about the Commodore Inn, Maggie was the greatest hostess, she was there for anything we needed, we all agree that on top of the great service the location was just what we needed, we couldn´t ask for better, entertainment, great out door & water activities, great restaurants, a short cab ride to any of the hot spots in Miami and most important the confort of felling at home was unbeatable.

This is why the next time I needed to be in Miami I called Maggie right away, I felt right back at home, for me the main concern was to be and feel safe while traveling alone, Commodore Inn offers this and much more. Definitely a place to come back to every time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Hi Lucia,
Thank you very much for such detail review.
It was really nice to have your team of over 20 members with us for those two months; I can tell you it was memorable, from the evening’s chats with Captain to the Chef little tips to improve my "bad cooking" :) ! it was a great, we spent lovely evenings with the group. It was pleasant to see team, as a hole a family.
Commodore Inn The Grove and our neigborhood, "The Grove", only getting better by the day. We are getting now a new developments two blocks away from us. It will bring us a large supermarket, retail stores, and much more. Indeed, Coconut Grove is the best location within Miami to go “walking” anywhere or like you say in a “cab ride”. The new bicycle rental place brought a new air to our village having bicycles’ and pedestrians alike strolling our friendly neighborhood.
We were happy to have you here again for the second time; we look forward seeing you soon, and next time, we hope to see you with the Team!
Thank you.
Belgica, Francisco, Julio, and Maggie

Been to Commodore Inn The Grove? Share your experiences!