“Love it ..” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Motel   |   6200 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33138   |
Ranked #81 of 122 Hotels in Miami
“Love it ..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several times. I am not a picky person when it comes to hotels or motels. The main reason why I need a place is to hold by belongings, safe, and mainly affordable. This is as good as it gets for me without paying Hilton prices.its a pretty safe neighborhood. I always have a car and never not once has that been broken into. The cleaning service is wonderful and friendly however most of them don't speak English and never has anything gone missing. Even though this place does provide a safe I never use it. As far as the location its in one of the busiest streets of miami so the traffic doesn't bother me (imma city girl) now as far as why I didnt give it a complete five is because some times the tub does clog which causes you to take a bath and shower at the same time. Also the parking is somewhat inconvenient but its also free so I don't mind walking around from the back. Also this last visit kind of rubbed me the wrong way. I locked my keys in the car and while talking to the locksmith a women approached me and asked "do u stay here and let me see your room key" not thinking I politely showed her my key and continued my conversation. Then she interrupts me again and states that they have a dress code and I need to change. I had on harem pants and a spaghetti strapped shirt. I said I am clothed and at $537 I was as good as it gets. I was there for spring break.she backlashed and said that if I wanted to continue to dress that way I have to stay somewhere else because this was a business hotel. So upset I walked to the office because there were no signs and that was completely inappropriate... fortunately they don't have a dress code but it was the owner and apparently she is very rude and has a lot of complaints but there is no one above her that anyone can complain to. But back to the negatives no phone in room and 20 channels on tv and no elevator but its only 15 steps lol. But no one has ever stolen any credit card info, money, or any of my belongings. I just need a place where I can sleep and safely hold my belongings while I do "tourists" activities and much much cheaper than staying on south beach... hope this helps!!!

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The motel is a very good choice for the money it costs, the staff (ask for Josh) very helpful and friendly. The breakfast included exceeds the normal standard!
Miami Beach is easy to reach.
Very recommendable!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed for three nights in early February prior to our Cruise. Upon arrival, we found out that they'd "cancelled" one of our two rooms as the credit card had been declined. Two things wrong with that: credit card was fine and was used for the other room too, second, even though they claimed to have emailed us about this, no such record existed. After 30 mins of arguing, they gave us a second room at a higher rate!

- Female owner/operator is an absolute nightmare to deal with… yells and complains.
- Rooms on front of hotel VERY noisy! We could not sleep at night and thankfully, a much nicer
night receptionist, moved us to the back of the building.
- First floor rooms will hear loud noises from level 2 rooms all day/night.
- The neighbourhood is not the nicest, although it's fairly central and close to freeways.
- Continental breakfast was "OK" but long line ups for coffee etc were annoying and no room to
sit.

When we told locals we stayed there, they said "I wouldn't put my family up in that place!" Next time, I'll spend the extra $30-$70/night and book something nicer.

Room Tip: Ask for level 2 room in the back of the building and demand a renovated room.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
River Forest, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Shalimar is an old motel in a gentrifying neighborhood in Miami. Once home to prostitutes and god-knows-what-else, the neighborhood has cleaned up and is improving. We stayed here for one night on our way to Key West and it was perfect for that. The locks are horrible, the check-in takes forever (no computers) but the rooms are remodeled and clean and will meet your minimum requirements. Best of all, it's very inexpensive when Miami is usually very pricey.

I wouldn't recommend staying for a long time unless you are really easygoing and not looking for better accommodations. Try this for a night or two. I think you will be happy you did.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

The motel is clean and modest but every thing is working find, the a/c and even the ancient TV set. I was a little bit frighten by other reviewers about the neighborhood but it appears not bad at all, no hobos & vinos. The native language of course it's Spanish, like the rest of the state (the cleaning lady don't understand a word in English ) but the rest of the staff was very professional and friendly. The breakfast is basic and modest but fresh , well organized and served with cute Latino smile. Lots of parking place in the back.
Tip: take the fist floor back side.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Oviedo, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Way back in the 50's Biscayne Blvd was the main drag through Miami and hundreds of motels lined the street for miles. Then I-95 came through a couple of miles to the west and left everyone high and dry. This old place has been rehabbed to some extent but it still shows its age. The room was Spartan to say the least; a Euro style bed, no pictures on the walls, no table lamps and a tile floor. Had trouble getting the door open with the old fashioned key, but that was nothing compared to the lady next door. Heard a lot of banging and saw the manager spend fifteen minutes trying to pry it open while the dear lady sat on her bags waiting to get in. The breakfast consisted of a bowl of fruit and toast! The property is still a couple of miles from the beach. You might as well go back out to the interstate and stay at one of the newer chain motels, probably for less money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Stayed in 2013, all OK, then tried to make reservation for February 2014, 2 weeks go by and no response, many excuses by owner and management, very unprofessional, they claimed an employee caused the problem who was let go, told me they would get back to me with prices for an extended, never did, they lied by telling me the rooms were booked when they were not.

Room Tip: get all in writing, i have all emails, so they cannot lie
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Shalimar Motel? Share your experiences!