“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 122 attractions in Miami
Type: Game/ Entertainment Centers
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Arcade Games, from Fighters to Shoot-em-ups, from Gun Shooters to Pinballs, New & Classic Games, along with an eclectic and unique mix of Japanese titles, including Game Consoles with 3D screens and rumble seats, Japanese 360’s with Import games. Also a wide variety of Japanese snacks, such as Ramunes, Pockies, Spickies & Panda crackers. Party reservations and Tournaments available.Come see why so many have chosen us as The #1 Arcade of Choice in South Florida.
Miami, Florida
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

To put it simply it is the best place to be. The glow in the dark carpet is sick and I want them in my room! The games are a fantastic combination of old and new in catering to everyone's tastes in gaming genres. The classics from pinball to shooter games from DDR and Pump it up (which is my favorite whenever I get a chance to go there) to air hockey. If I had a million dollars I would have easily spent it all there playing as much as possible, as long as possible while also enjoying the Japanese treats and drinks that are difficult to find. I also have a shirt from there that I love wearing.

Essentially it is the home away from home. Immediately it's a welcoming and friendly atmosphere with the staff members helpful and completely awesome individuals. I don't know what else to say that can't really be put into words. It wouldn't do enough justice to how amazing this place is. I wish there were more arcades like this, especially where I currently live because it would be a blast to work there and enjoy an atmosphere of people coming together to enjoy old- and new school games. Keep being awesome!

Visited June 2013

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Great pinball machines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I visited Arcade Odyssey while staying in Miami Beach. it was well worth the trip and a really chilled out atmosphere with amazing staff.The Arcade has 8 pinball machines, all in great condition including Doctor Who which I have not played before. I could have easily stayed for many hours.

Definitely worth a visit for anyone looking for an Amusement Arcade with terrific machines and a brilliant ambiance.

Visited January 2014
Chicago
30 attraction reviews
“Strange selection of games”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Hoo boy...

On principle, I'm inclined to love any arcade. They are the last guardians of a dying age.

I did enjoy tapping away on the cool X-Men game (although my brother frequently had to insert two tokens instead of the required one when using Nightcrawler). Time Crisis 3 was also cool. They even have a weird game where you have to punch these red paddles that flip out at your face. How do you play it? We're still not sure. Not much English on that one.

There are several desktop computers available (not sure why) and an area that appears to be set up for console games. But there wasn't any signage or anything. I could have asked, I guess.

Visited November 2013
Rick M, Owner at Arcade Odyssey, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
You mentioned a few items in your review that I would like to address; here is your review with my replies. All of your review is in quotes.

“But Arcade Odyssey isn't all that special. There are just a handful of classic games, and a ton of weird Japanese imports - some with nary an English word anywhere on them.”

There are 63 games currently in the arcade, 3 of them are multigames with a ton of classic titles, such as Pacman, Frogger, Robotron, Missle command, etc, with the 3 multigames, it brings the total # of games you can play in the arcade to 105 different titles. Not including all the console and pc titles which will bring your total # of unique games you can play at Arcade Odyssey to well over 200 +.

Out of all of those Arcade games only 2 imports out of the 63 cabinets that have Japanese writing in the games, the other 61 have all American text. I do not believe that is such a bad ratio 2 out of 63 cabinets. And I am proud to say it gives everyone the opportunity to play titles that you would never see anywhere else in the USA.

“I did enjoy tapping away on the cool X-Men game (although my brother frequently had to insert two tokens instead of the required one when using Nightcrawler). “

I apologize for this Ben, but we are using classic mechanical token mechs in the xmen, which was what it was designed with almost 30 years ago, if you try to put in the tokens too quickly, sometimes the mechs won’t catch it properly, and sometimes clients put in quarters which jam or dis-align the mechs, even thought we adjust and test the mechs regularly several times a day, unless a client notifies us that the mech is not working properly we cannot check it and adjust it for them, and we also take care of the tokens they put in , many times giving them extra credits for their time, we like to keep that old arcade feel by continuing to use tokens, but alas this is the biggest problem that plagues a token type system, jams and having to deal with unfamiliar coins being jammed in them, a majority of our clients prefer the token system as it brings back the nostalgia of an era now gone.

“Time Crisis 3 was also cool. They even have a weird game where you have to punch these red paddles that flip out at your face. How do you play it? We're still not sure. Not much English on that one.”

Believe it or not, that is one of the most popular games at the arcade, It is called Punch Mania 2, it is based on a very popular Japanese cartoon called fist of the North Star, it has been enjoyed by hundreds of players. The way you play it is, you have to punch the pads, ONLY when the lights light up on the particular pad, if you punch it before the light or after it already is lit then you begin to lose, so it has nothing to do with strength, or speed but plenty with timing and accuracy.

“There's an air hockey table, but it has a lot of dead spots where the puck doesn't float.”

There are no dead spots at all, we check that every week, the problem is even though we have purchased over 40 pucks, in the last 6 months, the some players have a tendency of stopping the puck by smashing the paddle on top of it very hard, that begins to break down the edges of the puck and thus sometimes it does not float as well, If you turn the puck over, 90% of the time it will work fine, we do replace them quite often.

“There was also someone narrating something over a very loud speaker, but I have no idea where the man with the microphone was, or what the hell he was describing. Something about a computer server. Did I really need to hear that blaring while I'm playing games?”

There was a smash brothers tournament going on in the back, players had come down from all over South Florida to play at this event, you see we run tournaments for different games on different consoles on a weekly basis, always on the weekends. The announcements were for those players, we were streaming, broadcasting their games over the internet so other players could see their friends competing, and had to reboot the streaming server for them, so we were letting them know. I apologize that you were bothered by that, but there is no way to let a large group of players which are playing video games know what is going on all at once unless we announce it through the loud speakers.

“There are several desktop computers available (not sure why) “

Players have been requesting not only arcade & console games, but now they have asked that we put in high end pc's to play pc games also, they do not want me to limit their game play to any one platform or game system, and we aim to please, so pc’s are now in.

“And an area that appears to be set up for console games.”

Yes that is in the rear of the Arcade, we have Wii's, American Xbox 360's, Imported Xbox 360's from Japan for imported games they want to play, ps3's, and now as of last week, pc's also.

“But there wasn't any signage or anything. I could have asked, I guess.”

Any one behind the counter would have gladly informed you on any of the items I just mentioned in this reply. In fact if you look at a couple of our last reviews from yelp, We got criticized for not have any ps3's, even though we have a bunch of them clearly visible from the front of the counter, another reviewer complains about games eating his tokens, but never bothers to tell anyone, so the machine will not only eat his tokens but the players after him, until someone lets us know. A few reviewers – not everyone mind you, just a handful, seem to not want to ask us anything, which bothers me greatly, it's like walking into a restaurant not asking for a menu, getting a random dish, then saying you did not like the food, because you did not try anything you wanted.

“I wanted to fall in love with Arcade Odyssey, but I'm not sure it merits a second date.”

I offered Ben an opportunity to come back and give us a second chance, to please let me know when he was coming so I may personally address all his issues, as I do with all our client’s questions or concerns, also to show him how to play these “weird imported games”.

I really do not know if I should maybe put up a large sign, I already have 2 tokens only signs, all the games have token labels on them, but sometimes we still get quarters put in the games, and there is a sign over the token machine also.

I am wondering if I should post a “ If you do not understand anything, please ask someone ” sign , and I hope they will, and not just ignore the signs and then get upset and leave when they do not understand a game or have a concern without enjoying a truly unique gaming experience which is why I built the Arcade in the first place.
Utica, New York, United States
“80's throwback heavan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I showed up a little early after driving 2 hours. I called and was let in a little early. Great selection of Pinball machines and 80's hits such as Tron, Frogger, Phoenix, Dig Dug, Mario Brothers and many more. Even harder to find games like Phoenix and Gorf were there. I had a sick time playing my favorite Robotron. I even beat the high score. I will be visiting Arcade Odyssey on all future Florida trips.

Visited October 2013
Key West, Florida
“I wish I lived closer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

I can't believe this place actually exists! I thought my friends were just messing with me, but this place really has it all! I love Pump it Up and DDR! Played for hours! This place is so reasonable and fun, and all of the employees are so nice and understanding. When one of the pinball machines ate my tokens, one of the employees rushed over to fix it! And I love the token system. It makes me feel like a teenager again! The place is so reasonable. I've heard people complain about the price before, but come on, when I saw the prices for the tokens and the food, I was shocked! No way they can stay in business with such low prices! All I can say is this place may tempt me to move back up to Miami real soon! Stay awesome Arcade Odyssey! I'll just watch your podcasts until the next time I get to drive up,a nd this time, I may bring the kids too! :D

Visited June 2013