“Lots of space in the room, friendly staff.” 4 of 5 stars

Kendall Hotel and Suites
9100 North Kendall Drive, Miami, FL 33176   |
Ranked #102 of 130 hotels in Miami
Apex, North Carolina
“Lots of space in the room, friendly staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Just got back from a two night stay at the Kendall Hotel and Suites in Miami. We booked the room directly through the hotel website and got a rate that was as good as any of the discount booking services, plus two free breakfasts each day. We stayed in a two bedroom suite. I was travelling with my brother and my two grown children. We were four large men staying in one room, so we really appreciated the space. The sitting room had a sofa, chair, coffee table and end tables, TV, and a dining room table with four chairs. Really roomy. We played a board game on the dining room table one evening. My brother slept in one bedroom with a double bed, the two boys (21 and 26) shared the king sized bed in the master suite and I slept on the pull-out sofa. It was ok, but not super comfy. I would not want to sleep there for more than a couple of nights. I am 6'1" and weigh just over 200 pounds, so pull out sofas don't typically accomodate me. The kitchen is a seperate room with a full sized refrigerator, dishwasher and stove. There were pots and pans and dishes, but we did not cook. We ate at Havana Harry's one night, which is right down the street. It was great, and super convenient. Back to the hotel - it is not brand new. It does show it's age. They could definitely benefit from some maintenance. The stucco on the outside walls was chipped off in a lot of places. However, our room was clean and we were treated very well. The staff was friendly. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet. It was much more substantial than the typical 'hotel suite' buffet. They had an omelet station, and a buffet that included fruit, grits, hash browns, eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, gravy, biscuits and a nice selection of sweet breads. The weather was overcast, so we didn't spend much time at the pool, but my brother and I laid out for an hour or so and it was quiet and comfortable. The jacuzzi was shut down. My brother said there were tadpoles in the water at the bottom of the jacuzzi. We did not use the tennis courts, but the next time I go there, (and I do plan to go back with my wife and kids), we will bring our rackets to play. We did not visit the bar or restaurant at night, so I can't comment on the atmosphere, but the bar, tables and chairs looked nice enough. All in all, we were pleasantly surprised at the size of the rooms, the size of the pool and the quality of the meals. I'll be back!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

115 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

We have stayed here numerous times. This time it was under new management. It was dirty- had only 1 elevator in some of the buildings working. It is going down and not nbeing taken care of. We had to have keys to room re-programmed daily. The shower rod was falling off the wall. We asked it to be fixed. After 4 days of flooding the floor- and me calling Magnus Hotel chains- they finally repaired it. DIrty- and running down and management does not care. No drink machines anywhere and hardly anyone spoke English . DON'T stay here.

Room Tip: NONE all dirty and old and not being taken care of
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Cancun, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

Stayed there for a long week end. I have visited this hotel at least 7 times and unfortunatelly every time it has decreased in service in maintenance and the overall experience. The owner needs to invest some money in this property. It is well located, great access to and from most areas of South Miami. The elevators are in such horrible conditions. The internet connection is a mess, carpeting in all the rooms is a shame. The room its self is rather large and not crowded but is outdated, dirty and runned down. The bathrooms are obsolete. The housekeeping staff does a lousy job. They barely do the bed! The staff is careless and the service they provide is below average. Obviously if they do not invest in the property and all they get is complaints, they must be tired of the same story and noone does anything about it. Their attitude shows.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Shaker Heights, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

When reading other Tripadvisor reviews one gets the impression that here must be two distinctly different Kendal Hotels and Suites. One being fabulous value and great service, while the other being dirty and in disrepair. We apparently checked into the latter.

Though always eager to give a place a chance, my family checked into The Kendall Hotel and Suites since it was the closest hotel to the people we were visiting in the Kendall area. We checked into a two bedroom unit in the Egret building. I should have learned to trust my initial instincts when checking into this hotel, and left. This hotel stretches across several buildings with numerous parking lots with limited lighting. Upon entering the covered hallways to find an elevator a fleeting sense of worry entered my mind since not many people were around and we had to wait for the elevator. I definitely did NOT feel safe. Once in the elevator we were fortunate to be on the second floor since the elevator button for the third floor had been pushed in and not working. Once in the room I was someone shocked at the shabby appearance of the furniture. The couch was dirty and arm rests frayed. The desk chair looked as if it was picked up at a local garage sale or homeless shelter. It was nicked and scratched, someone rickety, and worn. I barely wanted to sit down ANYWHERE in this "SUITE". If it were not for the fact that it was already late in the afternoon, my husband was tired, and and we were only staying for one night, I would have been out of there lickety split!

We chose NOT to even check out the breakfast the next morning so I can't comment on it. Instead we checked out and headed for a nearby Starbucks for a spinach wrap and hot cup of coffee. (BTW, found a pair of child's Crocs still under the bed during our final check before leaving the room)

This hotel needs a serious overhaul.

The kitchen had the bare essentials...a few plates and silverware, but you were out of luck if you wanted to wash the dirty dishes or even clean the countertop. No dishwashing soap, no cleaning supplies, no kitchen towels , etc, Hardly useable.

We hesitantly checked out the beds and linens...they appeared to be clean. But my daughter called from the other room to give a "critter alert" as a millipede was squirming across the floor. We had a repeat of a bug crawling across the floor a few hours later.

We will not be back. Sorry, wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. Please note: selected rating for cleanliness for this hotel would not allow me to press anything other than excellent. It was barely average at best.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Grand Cayman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

I read all of the reviews: the good, the bad and the ugly and almost booked somewhere else. I did need to be close to the Baptist Hospital and immediate area and this location was great; hospital personnel also told me they refer many patients there. We decided to book a one bedroom suite and we were given Room 220 Egret building. The unit was a good size, overlooking the pool so nicer than those that didn't for sure. It was a bit dated but the really important points, such as bed, bedding, pillows, new fibreglass tub enclosure, water pressure etc. were excellent. It had a big kitchen with full sized stove and fridge. It was reasonably equipped but no microwave. The balcony had no furniture. The unit had free internet but no WIFI so we had to walk over to the lobby to get a connection on our IPad. The breakfast was fine and good hours. Front desk staff here helpful but forgot a wake-up call. We needed assistance from the housekeeping staff and of four or five that we encountered none spoke even a solitary word of English. We are not from the US so Spanish is a foreign language and we got the impression that they thought that we should have fully understood what they were saying! I am rating a four based on value, i.e. what we paid for a one bed suite, the amenities. Yes, the outside of the buildings look dreary and some things in the units could be newer (sofa, dresser) but I think we did get more than what we paid for.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Antigua
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and found it affordable and useful. I usually stay here when I have appointments at the Baptist hospital so I get a very good rate and am walking distance from the hospital. I have never used the pool or tennis courts and am usually away from the property most of the day.

However this will be the last time as I realised that the place is now beyond basic - it is very dirty - the sofa has stains all over it and everything feels like it needs a good scrub. I never used the kitchen. We had our two kids with us and the second bedroom makes it comfortable but I will not go back after seeing how dirty it is now.

One elevator did not work and the other one was SCARY. Never sure if we were going to make it.

Breakfast used to be included but now they charged me over $12.

This place is not worth staying at anymore - someone needs to take it over and give it a complete overhaul.

Room Tip: Lower floors so you don't have to use elevator.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Wallingford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Positives:
The price is a lot cheaper than anywhere else we looked. We got a good deal through Priceline. The lobby area to the hotel is very nice and the front desk people were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a good location since we were traveling all over the Miami area. The hotel was quiet and we slept well. Housekeeping did a great every day. Also, the rooms are very big compared to that of a normal hotel room.

Negetives:
The rooms are in need of updates. The bed was very nice and comfortable, but the other furniture in the room has definitely seen better days. In the bathroom, the shower curtain does not go all the way down to the floor, so water gets all over. Be prepared to put a few towels down before your shower. We were disapointed in the pool area. The pool was dirty with lots of debree in the bottom, The jacuzzi was broken and looked like it hadn't been touched in months. Someone who happened to walk by us said "I am surprised to see it even running" (the bubbles ran, but it did not heat up). Also, we thought breakfast was included, but it is not. For the amount they wanted to charge we went down the street to a cheaper local place instead.

I probably wouldn't stay here again, but if you are trying to save money then this is an alright option. There is nothing wrong with this place other than the need for some refurbishing to the rooms and maintenance in the pool area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kendall Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!