If any of the following is on your list of things to do on your trip to Miami - take a boat ride, see celebrity houses, learn the history of Miami, see the Miami skyline (in my honest opinion, the only ACCEPTABLE way to view and truly appreciate the Miami skyline is from the waters) - then put Miami SpeedBoat Tours on the very TOP of your itinerary. Sure you can take just any old boat tour, but why just sit there and listen to a guide talk over the speaker phone when you can drive your very own speedboat? And SpeedBoat Tours is the only one that lets you drive your own boat.
I went on the 10 AM morning tour on December 23, 2012 and I have to say this is one of the best experience I had in Miami (and I did A LOT in the 4 days I was there) - I have no previous boating experience but was able to drive this no problem after less than five minutes of instructions. Not only do you get to see some pretty famous houses (former house of Shaq, the "Miami Vice House", the "Scarface House" just to name a few) & other important Miami landmarks, for those adrenaline junkies out there, you also get the opportunity to open up your speedboat to full throttle at a few sections of the tour. Let me tell you, these boats are FAST - depending on water/wind condition, you can get some decent air driving these. I was lucky the bay was essentially empty on the morning I went, and I was able to fully enjoy the experience of speeding through the water with no fear of crashing into anything or anyone.
But what take this tour over the top is the guide, owner/guide Michael is very friendly and is exceptionally knowledgeable about the history & various landmarks of Miami (and just what to do in Miami in general). My only “complaint” is that the 90 minutes is over way too quickly, haha, and that is testament to how much fun you'll have on this tour. Thanks Mike, for making this such an incredible experience, I look forward to doing this again the next time I come to Miami.
*** A few quick tips to potential participants:
1) Book a morning tour, before the water gets crowded and the weather gets too hot for comfort.
2) Don't worry about bringing a towel, you won't get too wet unless you flip your boat, and I seriously doubt that'll happen.
3) Definitely bring a camera, there are many beautiful sights you otherwise will never see.
*** Some small suggestions to the company:
1) I know this is a fairly new operation, but in the future, when you have some time (because it would be pretty time consuming), I would suggest creating a PDF file of landmarks & houses you talked about on the tour (with a picture & maybe just a short one line description of each) that you can email to participants afterwards, I have seen this done on other top notch tours I've been on & this really helps participants to remember what they saw (especially since there are so MUCH information given on this tour).
2) If you decide to do any tours longer than 90 minutes, definitely let me know! I would love to do this again.
If you own or manage SpeedBoat Tours - Private Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.