“Loved it and hope to return soon” 5 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #28 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Flint, Michigan
“Loved it and hope to return soon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

I absolutely loved our stay. This is a high class hotel, but we were able to get a suite for an amazing price. I actually saw a price online but then called because I really was hoping for a deal that would include breakfast and parking. They ended up giving both to us as part of the deal. Everyone was so accommodating. The rooms and the view are gorgeous. All the staff was wonderful.

The beds are beautiful and so comfortable. The bathrooms were large and the soaps smelled wonderful. (A nice delicant scent.) All the rooms have huge plasma televisions. We had a view of the bay, looking out on sail boats. It was just wonderful.

Our breakfast included just the cold buffet, which had lots of yogurt, fruit, cereals, pastries as well as cheese and deli meat. The warm buffet (which was overpriced at $19) was very well stocked with mini omlettes, pancakes, bacon, sausage, etc. We ended up just taking a $10 credit and ordering off the menu. The french toast with sauteed bananas and mangos and topped with berries and orange maple syrup might have been the best breakfast I ever had.

We did spend a lot on tips. However, I believe it is always appropriate to tip people for service. We always tipped the valet and bell hop. That's just standard for service to me. I would say we got an amazing value, but this hotel can be very pricy so it might not always be someplace I can stay in the future.

The staff was always friendly and welcoming and we even got a free late check out. Everything here was perfect.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
N IRELAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Stayed here one night for a Cuise departure the following day. Looked at several Hotels in the area and Miami Beach area also. The price of this Hotel compared to other Hotels of similar comfort/style is very reasonable. We were very impressed by this Hotel, friendliness of the staff, cleaniness of the entire Hotel and room. We also got upgraded to a Superior room for free. Would recommend this Hotel however the only downfall was the price of the breakfast, $50 for two people we thought was rather expensive.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Venezuela
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

This hotel is a converted condo building and most rooms are split into a suite and a small separate room. If you're traveling alone you are most likely to receive one of these and let me tell you that the size of the room is smaller than a Manhattan hotel room.

I have stayed at most luxury hotels in the miami/ft. lauderdale area and have never been in such a small room. There's no space to put your suitcase!

Besides the size, the room was very clean and the bath was comfortable. The room had a 40" LCD TV and complimentary wireless internet (the speed of the connection was very slow).

The bed was vey good but even on a monday night on the 12th floor you could clearly hear the loud bass & drums from the nightclub that is next to the hotel, something that may prevent some people from sleeping.

There is a single ice machine located on the 9th floor, something unheard of in any hotel that pretends to be a 4 star.

The restaurant is very small and pricey but has an excellent view of the bay.

The worst part of the hotel is the $23/day charged for valet parking, this was abusive.`

Overall the hotel was not bad, but there are plenty of better choices in Miami for the same value.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

I stayed at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove for four nights. We booked from the hotel's website and got a rate of $125/night for a "Superior City View Room". Considering the price, the hotel greatly exceeded my expectations.

My friend and I arrived at 9:30am. Check-in is at 3pm. Not only did they allow us to check-in early, we both received room upgrades. We did not encounter any problems during our stay, and all the staff we interacted with were very courteous and helpful.

This may not be the fanciest place to stay in Miami, but it's relatively cheap, in a great location, and you can expect to have a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Cincinnati
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

On the amazing end of the spectrum:

The hotel is in a fabulous location - Coconut Grove is one of my favorite spots in the Miami area - and all of the local Coconut Grove attractions are within walking distance. As for the view from the pool deck, it is spectacular. Additionally, the hotel itself is very clean and the rooms are equally spotless and convenient - with a full kitchen standard in the majority if not all of the units.

On the amazingly disappointing end of the spectrum:

The service at the hotel reminded me of staying at a sleazy motel. The staff openly lied about parking fees and attempted to nickel and dime myself and other friends staying at the hotel. In addition to the boldface lie regarding parking - which, contrary to what both the valet and desk person stated, is not included with the room ($23 per night) - the staff would hold out an open hand expecting a tip for pushing the elevator button. Personally, given the state of the economy and the fact that the hotel appears to be struggling with finding customers - evidenced by the continual summer rate drops, most beach hotels charge more during summer months - the fact that paying hotel guests are subsequently hit with a parking charge is outrageous, especially when two people make a positive assertion that parking is included with the room. Even more upsetting, I received a receipt for the parking charge when I checked out with no opportunity to dispute the charge at the front desk or even sign the receipt before being charged.

Final thoughts:

The hotel is a good deal for the price, now that the hotel has lowered its rates from their previously overpriced amount. However, I would not recommend the hotel to any of my personal friends, family members and acquaintances. The thought of paying a steep price to be treated like an ATM machine during the duration of my stay is something that I will not support.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Central New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

I had previously heard great things about the Sonesta chain of hotels. With this being my maiden stay with the company, I can say that the Sonesta Bay Front property in Coconut Grove, FL does not disappoint.

The lobby is well appointed and very modern. The rooms themselves are equally modern and were very clean with a satisfying array of ammenities. I will say though that as nice as the rooms were, I would have liked them to be a little bigger in size. (Side note, their shampoo & conditioner are great! They come in this amazing mango-coconut scent that I am still trying to find back home here in the Northeast. ) The hotel was an amazing outdoor pool located on the 8th floor. Again, the pool is not very large, though what it lacks in size, it makes up for with the amazing views you get from the pool area (great sweeping views of the bay and rest of Coconut Grove). While some of the hotel staff were really nice and impressively helpful they seemed to work alongside some colleagues who seemed indifferent at best (like some of the concierge staff and pool bar staff).

This hotel is within walking distance (about 3 blocks) from the heart of Coconut Grove's downtown area. The Coco Walk facility is so close by as are many other restaurants, bars and shops. This downtown area stays open quite late. However, note that this hotel is not very close to the beach. South Beach is the closest beach area located about 15 minutes by car from the hotel (approximately $30 by taxi one way). As I was told by the hotel, there is no direct public bus route that goes from Coconut Grove to South Beach - so your transport options are pretty much limited to a rental car or taxi. This hotel is also about a 30 minute ride from the airport.

This is a great hotel which I would definitely recommend it to friends. When booking your stay, make sure to check on the hotel's site for special deal and packages. You can avail of significantly cheaper rates if you book 14-21 days earlier.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

OK, I like it very much staying at the coconut grove Sonesta because it is very near to restaurants and shops for those days when you don´t feel like taking the car and going far... but this time I had some little issues...
First of all, my travel agent did a mess and booked my mother and I in a Deluxe bayfront... when we got there we found out they did not have a deluxe bayfront with 2 beds... so we were 'downgraded' to a partial bay view... no apologies, no compensation, no nice gesture to make us feel better (the room we received was about 10 to 20 USD per day cheaper than the one we had reserved through our agent). Just " Do you want it or not?". I know it was not their problem, however, as a guest that has been there more than 4 times I would expect something different from their indifference.
The room was big enough, however and did include a small kitchenette which was very convenient for us.
Another point is that housekeeping was not that efficient as in the other times I have stayed here ... They did not even replace the complimentary coffee even when asked (with a nice thank you note and a tip included) ...
I have to compliment, however, the guys from parking which were efficient, helpful and nice. Also the guys who took care of our luggage were always great and nice to talk to. Great staff.
One evening we tried their restaurant (Panorama). It was also very good and their creme brulee was just divine...
All in all, even though we had some minor problems we had a nice stay there and at the end we were happy that we had chosen to stay at the sonesta... They just have to be careful to keep things in good order...

• Stayed May 2009

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!