“great location” 4 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
25% Off 2 or More Nights!
Ranked #32 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Bolton
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2009

Arrived after long flight from U.K. Staff on reception lovely and very welcoming. Room nice, modern and clean, a little compact compared to other USA hotels we have stayed in,
Bed very comfortable, quiet and very good blinds so able to get a good njghts sleep.
Breakfast was quite extensive and had superb fruit selection, the orange juice was the best I've ever had. Staff in restaurant excellent and the view was stunning.
Hotel in a safe location and we were able to go for a walk from the hotel to the nearby Marina.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2009

The Sonesta delivers excellent service from the valet to the waitstaff. I don't know that I would have chosen the Sonesta (or Coconut Grove for that matter) as a vacation destination unless it was a weekend getaway. We were there for a wedding, which was handled very well. Shop around online before booking. Some of my fellow wedding guests found prices that were less than half of what I paid (by booking each night individually). But, that was probably symptomatic of current economic climate. Deluxe rooms with two beds include Queen sized beds. Rooms are spacious. There is a kitchenette. Valet parking was $23 per day. Heated pool and hot tub.

• Liked — Customer Service, Location, Comfortable Pillow Top Beds, Fitness Room
  • Disliked — Can't think of any negatives.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2009

We booked this hotel through hotelopia who gave us a fantastic deal for £35 per night - I couldn't believe it.

We stayed in Miami on a stopover to Belize on the way there and on the way back and thought that the hotel might reflect the cost we paid. We were so pleasantly surprised. The hotel is clean, friendly, in excellent condition and when we arrived we were upgraded to an ocean view both times. The beds are enormous (which was great for the jet-lag) and the bath was big enough to fit a 6ft rugby player in with ease!.

The breakfast was also included in our deal which I have to say was delicious. Fresh fruit and yogurt or pastries and cooked breakfast for the buffet with a starbucks tea or coffee included. The restaurant overlooks the harbour too which is lovely when you're dining.

Just round the corner is coco walk, a small shopping district with restaurants, clothe shops and even a cinema - not bad for being out of north/south beach.

We would totally recommend anyone staying here - and would absolutely stay here again when we next visit Miami.

• Liked — the beds and the food
  • Disliked — the taxi costs
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Worcester, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights when taking part in Miami Marathon. Got an amazing deal with Hotelopia for £58 a night. Was upgraded to a bay view room and would not have had a clue that there was a nightclub near the hotel. Lovely, spacious room, fantastic friendly staff, lovely warm swimming pool. Very close to restaurants, bars and Cocoa Row shopping Centre. Well connected via Coconut Grove Circulator bus from across the street which connected with Metro Rail for only a quarter. Cost of Metro Rail only 2 dollars. Brilliant!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2009

The only thing that I truly liked about this hotel was its restaurant....good service, great food, and beautiful views. However, the hotel's website makes it seem as though this place is much more elegant than it is. It is a nice place, but it was not what I was expecting. For example, the swimming pool was a huge let down. The website photos make it seem as though the area surrounding the pool is larger with more seating. There is actually not much seating at all, and the chairs have actual cushions on them that have become moldy due to people sitting in them in wet swimming suits. Even first thing in the morning, I could not find a dry chair to sit on. If you look at the pool area early in the morning, you can see dark, moldy spots where a person's rear end would be seated on the chair (see my photos). These wet spots are then covered up with towels, but you can still feel the wet spot if you sit on the chair. There is also no privacy near the pool because the outdoor restaurant seating is right next to the pool. Would you really want everyone who's in the restaurant to be able to watch you while you're trying to lay in the sun?! I also expected a bay view room but was given a partial bay view room where it was only possible to see the water if you went out onto the deck and turned your head. I had to ask for a different room. The hotel really needs to draw a distinction between a full versus a partial view bay room. The neighborhood is disappointing. There is not much to do within walking distance and the nearby shops were not what I was expecting. For me, the only perk was a nearby Starbucks. My goal was to lounge around by the pool of this hotel, so I would not choose to stay here again. I might recommend this hotel to someone who was on a business trip, but I would not recommend it to a tourist. I would highly recommend their restaurant.

• Liked — Restaurant views
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

I arranged for a 3-day stay for a group of 14 college classmates. It was an outstanding experience. The staff is one of the friendliest I have ever encountered. The service was excellent. We dined at the hotel the first evening we were there and it was outstanding. In fact when the chef walked out of the kitchen my group broke into spontaneous applause. We enjoyed lingering over breakfast in the charming dining room with the beautiful view, having lunch at the pool "in the sky" and in the evening the same dining room became a romantic setting.

My group loved the hotel's location that is in walking distance to shopping and other restaurants.

• Liked — the beds
  • Disliked — Everything was excellent
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2009

First, let me say that I got an excellent deal (60 dollars a night or so) on Priceline...and since it was a business trip, I wasn't paying for it anyway.

Soon after arriving though, I could see I'd make an excellent choice. The location is awesome, in the Coconut Grove area, with the "CoCo Walk" nearby. In Miami, there are plenty of bad areas of town and one has to be rather careful about where they stay. This is in a good area of town. I'd still take precautions, but I never felt like I was in any danger.

The room I had was beautiful. The view was awesome....and the view was even better from their outdoor pool that's on the 8th floor. My room had a full kitchen in it...and just a lot of space to move around in. I know some hotels put people in small rooms if they get a bargain on Priceline but apparently not here.

Loved it!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!