“Overall Great, but ...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Cairo, Egypt
“Overall Great, but ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Overall, great hotel experience including pool-side, food & Panorama dining and front desk service.
Still, there were several issues with this hotel:
1. Future guests beware: The website states "Valet Parking is available" and states the price. Fine. What it does not say is, "Valet Parking is the ONLY form of parking allowed." When I asked about alternative options for parking, I was told there weren't any options. So, my stay started on a sour note knowing my cost jumped $25/day.
2. Once in the room, I opened the balcony to realize my "bay view" was actually a city view. Not a big deal, really, but I thought I'd ask. The hotel was full for the night so they moved me the second night.
3. There were two issues in the second room. First the entire wall of outlets by the tv did not work. I called and they sent the hotel engineer to correct the problem. It was close to 11pm at that point. Then I went in the bathroom and realized the commode was "running" water. Not a lot and, in my opinion, not something worth calling again at 11:30pm with a 4am check-out.
4. I was attending a small reunion. We made use of a conference room for dinner. I was surprised to learn the hotel could not provide a tv or projector for a reunion presentation - even when we contacted them in advance to make the request. I thought presentations were pretty standard for conferences regardless the size.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Byron S
Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay. We offer valet parking only at our hotel similar to the other hotels in the area. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that you experienced some maintenance issues in your guest room. Our meeting space can accommodate audio visual equipment however there is an additional charge for the set up and rental of the equipment. We hope that your classmates enjoyed your time in Miami and thank you for staying with us.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Very friendly staff. Nice hotel with great rooftop pool with a great view and location. A little noisy if you are in a street side room because of surrounding area with no fault of the hotel. Valet parking is mandatory but great place to stay if you are not on the beach.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Nate P
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased you and your classmates enjoyed your reunion. Like all of the other hotels in Coconut Grove, we offer Valet Parking only but there is lots to do within walking distance so many guests arrive without a vehicle. We hope to see you soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

The hotel is good overall.
There is an annoying waitress in the panorama restaurant, middle age, tanned skin and short that has no professional manners, he speaks too loud getting your order that everybody in the room will know what you are having for dinner, not too mention that he stares at your boobs while taking the order. He is not a good fit.
The rest of the staff is corteous and very professional.

JS
Thank you for posting your comments about your stay. We appreciate your feedback and have shared it with our Food and Beverage Manager. We are pleased that your overall experience was good and hope you will return again soon.
Seminole, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

From my experience, the rooms are focused on the bathrooms. The rooms are comfortable but cramped. The bathrooms could fit a cot! The bathrooms are outfitted with a very wide and angled mirror. The tub is huge and could possibly fit four people. I wish I had a bathroom at home that was such a sanctuary.

Now for the horrible bits... I contacted the "virtual concierge" about getting a spa appointment. I was never contacted back and had to make other arrangements. That was very disappointing and inconvenient. There was construction going on while we were there and it was noisy! It was raining the day we left. The front steps of the hotel were VERY slippery. I even commented to the valet about how slippery they were. I was not offered assistance and the next step I slipped. Moreover I had difficulty getting myself up because I could not get my footing. These steps need something to provide better traction in the rain! I left with a pretty good scrape on my partially skinned toe. That's not a good final impression.

Overall it was a comfortable visit. The location is fantastic - there was no need for my car while there. I'm not sure I would return because of the difficulties I faced while there and just prior to leaving. I would not recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
TaraS
We appreciate your comments about your recent stay. We offer several different room types and as such some rooms have larger bathrooms. Please accept my apology that our virtual concierge did not respond quickly to your request. Although your stay was less than perfect, we hope that we might have another opportunity to provide you with the service you have come to expect from Sonesta.
FL Keys
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

On the spur of the moment, we decided to spend July 4th in Coconut Grove. We searched online for a room and booked at chain hotel that was adequate, though nothing special. After we arrived and drove through the area, we decided we would rather be in the heart of the Grove where we could walk to restaurants. We booked a room at the Sonesta at the last minute and cancelled our other reservation. We loved the Sonesta and I hope to go back for a longer stay in the future. From the moment we arrived, we were treated as special guests. The front desk clerk upgraded us from a "superior" to a "deluxe” room. Our 10th floor one room suite was lovely and spacious and featured a full kitchen, breakfast bar, and balcony. The room was quiet and well insulated from outside noise. There was some light intrusion around the door and curtains. Security was fairly high to restrict public access to the hotel’s common areas. The security guards were polite and unobtrusive. Unlike our hotel room, the lobby was objectionably heavily perfumed. The hotel does not offer self-parking. Valet parking is $27 per night. There is an adjacent public parking garage that offers $15 overnight parking for hotel guests. If you are looking for a hotel in the Coconut Grove area, try the Sonesta. There are currently a lot of vacant restaurants and storefronts in the area. I’m hopeful that the area will soon experience resurgence.

HappyCamper48
Thank you for selecting the Sonesta for your last minute stay in Miami. We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience and celebrated Independence Day with us. Coconut Grove has a great firework display and our location is perfect for viewing. We hope to see you again next year.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The rooms are tiny and dark. They gave us a room with one door and a one man balcony. Our neighbors were so loud and they smoked all night. The smoke was coming into our room. The view was great, but could not walk in the tiny balcony. There's got to be a better place in the Grove to stay???

Maria M
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that your recent stay was not up to your expectations. We are a smoke free building. Please inform the front desk if this issue occurs so we can respond immediately. We offer many different room types at our property and some room types do not offer a balcony. Descriptions on our website provide details so that you can select the room that best suits your needs. We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

If you are looking for an excellent hotel that overlooks the bay, has great food and exceptional service, stay at the Sonesta Coconut Grove. This place is the best I promise you that business or pleasure you won't be disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Joe W
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We hope to see you again soon.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!