“Nice but too noisy” 4 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #30 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Coconut Grove
“Nice but too noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The hotel & its staff are very nice but the hotel is just too noisy. If you are facing the City then you get the noise from Fat Tuesdays and if on the other side the noise from the park across the street in the mornings.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for sharing your comments as they will assist us as we continue to work with the city regarding noise from nearby restaurants. We hope you will return for another stay if your travels bring you to Miami.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Sonesta was a very modernly decorated nice hotel. The rooms were comfortable and very large. This definitely was apartments renovated into a hotel. There were TONS of hairs in our bathtub! Obviously was an oversight on the housekeepers!!!!!!! Luckily we had a separate shower to use. The pool was nice as well. Staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful, but stops there. The rest of the staff at this hotel was unhappy looking or unfriendly. We paid $25 a day to park and it was valet and made to feel like we had to tip as well!!!!!!!!!!! The hotel itself is not inexpensive for the room, but felt nickel and dimed everywhere. The restaurant was SO very expensive. Paid a fortune for breakfast for my three kids and I and my husband didn't even eat. They even charged me $15.90 to print my boarding passes, and it took me less than 8 minutes to be on the computer. I have not ever paid to print my boarding passes except to maybe tip a concierge. That is insane!!!!!!!! This is supposed to be a convenience. Coconut Grove area is cute but VERY run down area, so would just stay in a better area to begin with! Was here for the Sony Ericsson so was convenient with the shuttle the tournament provided.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
TwinTennisMom
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that your room was not up to your expectations on your arrival. While we offer only Valet parking at our hotel, it is one of the lowest priced in the area and tipping is not required. Our business center computers offer complimentary printing of boarding passes by clicking on the boarding pass icon but there is a charge if you require the internet to access email or other non-airline websites. I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping and valet team and we appreciate you sharing your experience.
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

The hotel was very nice and comfortable. Great bed and pillows.
The best thing about the stay was the staff....especially Frank, Omar & the Banquet Staff.
We had a business conference there for four days and they were excellent.
They were so professional and efficient. Every thing from meeting room set up, to break snacks/coffee, to serving our lunch. What a great bunch of folks.
I'd recommend staying there for vacation or business.
The service is fantastic!

Room Tip: Request a bay view. Beautiful view of boats!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We are pleased you had such a positive experience and we look forward to your next visit.
Coconut Grove
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The hotel itself is not bad. The lobby is beautifully decorated, the pool is pretty and the rooms are clean. The place was under construction and did not give me a "vacation" vibe. There are nice restaurants in the area but overall the Coconut Grove area seemed pretty rundown.

What left a sour taste in my mouth wax the service we received. Although employees were happy to give me a smile and say they'd help they really just walked through the motions. Overall, if you want to get away I'd suggest staying at a hotel that really means to please their guests and not just pretend they do.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Sonesta

Megan H
We appreciate your feedback. I apologize that our team did not provide you with the level of service you have come to expect from us. Be assured that your feedback will help us continue to improve. We are pleased that you were able to enjoy our pool area and clean rooms and hope we may have another opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Brazil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

I’ve had booked it through Hotwire.com and got a good deal, considering it’s a four star hotel located within steps from the nicest street in Coconut Grove. Got amazed by the hotel’s modern lobby and with what I was told at check in: “you and your wife will be staying at our ‘superior suite’ on the 18th floor”. I asked about the wi-fi setup, but she only gave me a card that explained nothing and I had to call them later to connect properly. After getting into the room, I’m pretty sure that “superior” meant “high floor”, ‘cause the room was pretty average. The bed has seen better days and the decoration looked like a mental hospital room… no colors whatsoever. Pretty depressing. The complimentary wi-fi was great and the 40” TV was just fine. We got the room with the window pointing to Grand Avenue: not the fanciest view, but not too shabby either. The sleep was as expected… quiet and the A/C worked just fine. The shower lacks water pressure, but nothing to be worried about. Long story short: the location pays off. The hotel staff and premises are nice but the room I got needed a tune up.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the bay. Are quieter and the view is outstanding.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Bento-san
Thank you for posting comments about your recent stay. We appreciate your business and are happy that you found our location perfect for your needs. We hope to see you again in Coconut Grove.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

I've been coming to this hotel for the past 3 years but this one was the last time. So where to start: the check in staff were surly. It was like "Give me your credit card and here's the key". No explanations about wifi or any features. I was given a smaller room this time without a balcony. Strange when I had one last two times. There seemed to be constant work going on in the hotel with power drills above the room and even near the pool. No explanations or apologies for that.

What really puts me off this hotel and is the reason I won't return and should make you cautious was the last day. I rushed to leave and left some items behind in the room: wallet, keys and a couple of T shirts. I discovered this at the airport and rushed back to the hotel. Clearly my fault here. The room had been cleaned but none of my items had been turned in. I asked how many people had entered my room since I left--this was about 4 hours previously--and was told one. The desk staff were unsympathetic and stonewalling. I suspect they must have been told to be this way. They said they checked with housekeeping but I doubt it. I asked if they had asked the cleaner but again I doubt it. They didn't want to take any of my details about missing items or my address, etc. They merely looked at me with dead eyes. I've reported this to the authorities and I will recommend that we don't use this hotel again. Pretty pathetic performance on their part. There's no reason why those items couldn't have been turned in and kept for me or sent to me.

Room Tip: If you must go, get a balcony room otherwise you'll suffer.
Spanishboyuk
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that your overall experience was not up to your expectations. Your reservation for this visit was for a superior room which does offer a balcony. On your previous visit you reserved a deluxe room which does have this feature.

In response to your missing items, while you were escorted to the room to recheck the room I contacted our Executive Housekeeper to verify if any items had been left behind in your room after your departure. When you returned to the desk, I spoke with you to let you know that we did not find any items in your room and I inquired if you had checked your other belongings for the missing items and you stated that you were going to check that next. Before you left the hotel you provided me with your all of your contact information. As we discussed if anything is turned in matching the description of your items I will contact you.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Really impressed with the service at this hotel. Staying in Coconut Grove while teaching at University of Miami.
Pretty much everyone has gotten to know me and greets me by name at breakfast, at the bar, in the restaurant and particularly the valet who always fetch my car quickly and with courtesy. They must have put real effort in to create this level of service - special thanks to valet Roozeppe Jean Pierre.

Room Tip: Get a bay view if you can
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
LondonKDX,
We are happy to be your home away from home. Thank you for sharing your comments. We will be sure to share them with Roozeppe.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!