“Good Location, Nice Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #30 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Portland, Oregon
“Good Location, Nice Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed here for one night ahead of a cruise. Location was actually pretty nice -- a block from the ocean, a block from a mall with several restaurants and a Starbucks. Appears that the hotel is a mix of hotel rooms and permanent residents. We booked a king bed room with a kitchenette. The room was big, clean, and a pretty good value, I thought. The bathroom was big by hotel standards, and well-ventilated. Had a nice balcony that overlooked the pool deck below and the ocean, facing south. Desk staff was friendly, professional, and quick. Only objection was that the elevators could be a bit slow at times.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Pdxmark2
We are pleased that you stayed with us prior to your cruise vacation. We are close to the Port of Miami and as you mentioned, there are plenty of things to do in Coconut Grove before you set sail. We hope you will be back again before your next voyage.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

It's my birthday and I'm woken up at 8:30 this morning by room service ramming a vacuum into our wall. I walked out and looked at the woman "Ana", yet didn't say a word. Apparently I should have since she started playing drums with utensils and glasses shortly afterwards.. Or something. We go downstairs to be basically pushed out. Beautiful views of the Bay, great location but they need to hire new employees. Thank you Ana for your musical performance, as well as valet for non-stop staring at my breasts.

• Stayed September 2013
Ramerdanielle
Thank you for sharing your comments concerning your recent stay. Our Executive Housekeeper has followed up with the team regarding cleaning early in the day. Your comments help us improve our service and ensure we are focused on our guests.
Merritt Island, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I am staying at the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel, in Coconut Grove, in Miami Florida. I have a sister that lives down here and has cancer treatments, were she is in the hospital for 5 days. So, I have been trying different hotels in the area for my week stay every 21 days. I tried the Ritz, I liked a lot but I love to see the water. I tried the "Mutiny" and was not happy. So, now I am trying this hotel. I am on the fence and about to fall to not again! I asked for the paper to be delivered each day, zero for three days! The ice is on the 9th floor ONLY! If you just want a drink, or ice for water, down to the 9th floor you go. Waiting for an elevator to go from 18 to 9 and then back is a waste of time. I asked for ice with my gratuity every morning and that has not happened either. The view is great. It has a great running park right out front.

Room Tip: I did not have a baloney and if I come back I think it would be worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kymm I
We appreciate your feedback on your recent visit. In addition to regular guest rooms we also have rooms available with kitchenettes and full kitchens which offer additional in room amenities to guest who might be staying longer. Since you are returning to Coconut Grove again we hope that you might give us another opportunity to make you feel at home and that you have found your hotel.
Hull, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Firstly, the good points. The views from the Sonesta are great if you have a sea view room which I strongly recommend. The staff, particularly at the pool / restaurant are first class and very attentive. Drinks and food are a little pricey, but the quality is good, particularly for breakfast. Valet parking is $25 / night which is a luxury that can be easily avoided by parking next door in a secure multi-storey for $15 / night.

Downsides for me. We arrived after a 20 hour trip from the UK and wasn't even offered a glass of water upon arrival. The receptionist was professional, but didn't really chat or engage after our long journey. A missed opportunity!

The hotel foyer is impressive, modern and 'looks the part'. Unfortunately that's were it stops; our suite on the 19th Floor was at best a little dated and in need of refurbishment. Basically, it was 3 star standard with little character and was flattered by the pictures on the Sonesta website. That said, it was clean, well presented and fine for a short stay (5 nights).

Overall, the Sonesta is a reasonable hotel and with a few cosmetic changes it would warrant a higher rating.

Room Tip: Higher the better as pool on 8th Floor
John W
Thank you for your recent stay. We are pleased you enjoyed our great view and staff. We will be sure to share your comments with them as well as your feedback on your arrival. We appreciate your business and your review.
Kingston, Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have stayed here on several occasions and loved the place. This time was not so good. I needed two double beds (not a king size). I called the hotel to ask how to get this a they told me to call 1-800 which I did. They told me to book a "deluxe double" which I did. It was a quick business trip so we arrived at830pm The receptionist gave me the key for a king room. I told her the story and very casually she said they didn't have my request. After my insisting she said the could give us a handicapped access room. No apology for mess up! I didn't see until morning light that the room was dirty! Big spot on the carpet between the beds, the sliding glass doors and balcony were full of finger marks and streaks and the back of the cream vinyl chair at the desk was black! Positive side ..the bed was comfy and the location of the hotel is fabulous. Hope this is a one off. I would still recommend the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Seeker21
Thank you for sharing your feedback and please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that this time your stay was not perfect. We have limited rooms with two beds and as such they must be booked in advance. We have followed up with our reservations team to ensure we are following our booking processes correctly to minimize these types of errors. We hope you will be back again soon so we have another opportunity to serve you.
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I just returned from a stay at the Sonesta. I traveled with my husband and two other couples for a weekend get-away. We live in the Tampa Bay region of Florida and don't travel too frequently to south Florida, and didn't know what to expect.

My husband and I were upgraded to a bay view room - which overlooked the pool and the bay. Our room was very large with a full kitchen (refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, etc.); spacious living and sleeping quarters; and a nice patio overlooking the pool and bay with a table and 2 chairs. The bed and linens were very comfortable.

The lobby was lovely. The roof-top pool, restaurant and outdoor bar/dining area(s) were spectacular with gorgeous views. The staff was pleasant, attentive and helpful. The food and drink prices were steep - but to be expected in this part of the state.

A short walk to lovely shopping, restaurants, bars and art galleries - in a very attractive and comfortable neighborhood. Everything from "staples" such as Johnny Rockets, Starbucks, Cheesecake Factory and the Gap - to upscale bars and restaurants - to "dive bars" where the college kids play beer pong with bands playing classic music were very close by as well.

Our room was very, very quiet. Warning to future travelers, however ~ one of the two couples we were traveling with had a very, very small room on the back side of the hotel. They overlooked the parking lot and the "bar" district. They said their room was not only very small (I saw it first hand) but was incredibly noisy late into the night (it has to be pretty late, since we returned to the hotel at 1 am).

Another thing to note - apparently some of the units are residential condominiums. In other words, there are full-time residents at this hotel. Didn't cause me any concern, at all, but was something interesting to note, all the same.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the pool and the bay - it is worth it. From what I could ascertain the h...
TeresaFLA
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. We are pleased that you and your friends selected Coconut Grove for your weekend getaway and found all that you needed. We hope you will all come back again and enjoy our neighborhood.
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I booked our hotel with a special rate for 3 nights with a coupon. Nice surprise - our $25 valet parking was included. Room was spacious with refrigerator, microwave, stove. Only mirrors in bathroom, would be good to have one somewhere else. Paid $50 per night for upgrade with bay view and glad I did. Stunning view from 12th floor. First night just sat poolside and had wonderful chicken plantain dish, relaxing evening. Walked all over coconut grove with great stores and restaurants. Close to Vizcaya and Key Biscayne. Staff warm and welcoming. Really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Try to stay bayside even if you have to upgrade.
Rosemary F
I glad that your stay at the Sonesta was so enjoyable. We agree that we have some of the best views in town and we have a lot of great dinning and shopping options within walking distance. We hope to see you again soon.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!