“Exceeded our expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #23 of 130 hotels in Miami
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Exceeded our expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I booked our hotel with a special rate for 3 nights with a coupon. Nice surprise - our $25 valet parking was included. Room was spacious with refrigerator, microwave, stove. Only mirrors in bathroom, would be good to have one somewhere else. Paid $50 per night for upgrade with bay view and glad I did. Stunning view from 12th floor. First night just sat poolside and had wonderful chicken plantain dish, relaxing evening. Walked all over coconut grove with great stores and restaurants. Close to Vizcaya and Key Biscayne. Staff warm and welcoming. Really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Try to stay bayside even if you have to upgrade.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Rosemary F
I glad that your stay at the Sonesta was so enjoyable. We agree that we have some of the best views in town and we have a lot of great dinning and shopping options within walking distance. We hope to see you again soon.

877 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
East Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My Ms. and myself had the occasion to stay at the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel Miami this past weekend, in Coconut Grove for a romantic getaway. I can honestly tell you I have not been so pleased with a hotel and its staff for a very long time. It was excellent in every manner.

We flew to Miami very late in the evening on Friday, due to a twice delayed flight by AA. We arrived around midnight and were immediately taken care of as we checked in. The room was very clean and comfortable with an amazing view. We would order breakfast every morning before planing our day. Coffee was good, and so were the eggs, however the toast was a little soggy! The location was fantastic; close to almost all of Miami's best attractions, and within 5 minutes walk to the "Improv Comedy Club" at which we saw Aries Spears.

Our sincere admiration to the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel and its staff; all of whom were kind, warm, and most importantly very hospitable. Mari was among all very patient, generous and professional. She is a very positive lady, and she clearly enjoys what she does. She helped us with everything we needed and went above and beyond to make sure our stay was one to remember. Another gentleman to express our gratitude to was Freddie. He was kind and very genuine. We simply couldn't be any more happier with his service. And after all, we were just another couple staying over for a few days, no people particularly exceptional in comparison to everyone else.

As we left, we felt as if we visited our own family in Miami. We were very satisfied with the stay and we thank you all once more. We will definitely be back again!

Adel & Jillian

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Benhakim M
We appreciate your feedback regarding your visit to Coconut Grove and are happy that your stay was so enjoyable. I will be sure to share your comments with Mari and the rest of the Front Office Team. We hope you are back soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is beautiful but my goodness this hotel is unfortunately sucks at parking spaces. If you are local and bringing your own car, be advised that parking is not covered. You'll have to pay $25.00 per night for valet only. Meaning you have no access to your vehicle only when valet brings up your car. I've stayed at better hotels than this one and I have never had issues.
Other than parking issue hotel is nice.

Crlabrego
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. As you mentioned we offer only Valet parking at the hotel like all of the other hotels in the area. Fortunately Coconut Grove is a walk friendly city so many guest do not need cars and our rates are the lowest in the area. We are pleased that overall your stay was enjoyable.
Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I will cut to the chase. This hotel is clean, as advertised. The staff is friendly and the proximity to coconut grove cannot be beat. I was fully prepared to give this place 4 stars. However, the "city view" rooms all face the very energetic coconut grove area. The clubs and bars all have permission from the chamber of commerce to be as loud as they want until 2:30am. I am talking DJ's voices, loud music with lots of bass coming into my room. I could distinguish songs it was so loud and i was on the 18th floor. I discovered this during my stay when I called the front desk in desperation at 2:00 knowing that there probably wasn't anything they could do. Apparently this happens all the time, and the l staffs way of addressing it is to call the police and file a noise complaint. Perhaps down the road their persistence will change the city's code, but it doesn't do much for my three sleepless nights. I asked to be moved to another room, but was told that the building was 100% booked. On top of this outside noise, the hotel doesn't have much in the way of soundproofing internally. I could hear others' toilets flushing, anything said in the hallway, etc, which made trying to make up sleep during the day difficult too. Now, I'm not a crabby old lady with unrealistic expectations about accommodations on trips. I know I'm not going to sleep as soundly as I would in my own bed. This was by far the most unreasonable amount of noise in a hotel room I've ever encountered. Perhaps it's better on the bay side, I just wasn't given the option of checking it out.

• Stayed September 2013
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Traveler2983
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay and apologize for the inconveniences resulting from the nearby nightclubs. Your feedback will assist us in working with the local authorities. During your stay we were not able to relocate you to another room due to our occupancy. We hope that in the future we would have another opportunity to ensure you have an enjoyable experience in Coconut Grove.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This was our 2nd time at the Sonesta. The only exception to our pleasant stay was an ongoing issue with our key card reader. My card never worked and my wife's card worked sporadically. Tonight will be our 6th night and the issue has yet to be resolved logistically. We have talked to maintenance or mgmt. at least 6 times. Maintenance has insisted that it's "my fault" for operator error. I'm not very diplomatic when addressing an issue such as this, so my wife spoke to a manager. Although our keys rarely work, we were comped for two breakfasts. That being said, we still really enjoy this hotel and will return in the future. I can honestly say that I did not pass by one employee this week that did not greet me in a genuine, pleasant manner. For us, the relaxing pool area is the highlight of this hotel. Get some breakfast poolside then come back at night to have a piña colada (ask for server Remy) First time guests will find a location with relatively easy travel to Biscayne, South Beach, etc. We will be back!

tBixElCaballo,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We have addressed your comments with our Engineering team for correction. I am pleased that the staff made such an impression and we will be sure to share your comments with Remy. We look forward to your return.
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location, very clean with artsy feel, staff very friendly & helpful
The only complaint: there are no mirrors in the bedroom or on closet door!
All mirrors are in the bathroom.. This is not good when 1 person is trying to get ready ( dry hair, put on make-up) and they have to wait til other person is done showering/ in the bathroom

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Carol F
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We appreciate your comments about the mirrors and have shared the feedback with our corporate design team for future implementation.
Cooper City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Comfortable rooms. Nice Gym at the pent house. Spa and swimming pool. Excellent restaurant area with French, Indian, Peruvian, Italian and Latin Cuisine. Nice shopping area, Cocowalk, close to the hotel. Free wifi

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Bahia with the Marine
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Americo24
Thanks for the feedback. We hope to see you again soon.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!