“This is not a place for locals if bringing your own vehicle.” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Summer Sizzler: Save 25%
Ranked #34 of 110 Hotels in Miami
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“This is not a place for locals if bringing your own vehicle.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hotel is beautiful but my goodness this hotel is unfortunately sucks at parking spaces. If you are local and bringing your own car, be advised that parking is not covered. You'll have to pay $25.00 per night for valet only. Meaning you have no access to your vehicle only when valet brings up your car. I've stayed at better hotels than this one and I have never had issues.
Other than parking issue hotel is nice.

• Stayed September 2013
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Crlabrego
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. As you mentioned we offer only Valet parking at the hotel like all of the other hotels in the area. Fortunately Coconut Grove is a walk friendly city so many guest do not need cars and our rates are the lowest in the area. We are pleased that overall your stay was enjoyable.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Nashville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I will cut to the chase. This hotel is clean, as advertised. The staff is friendly and the proximity to coconut grove cannot be beat. I was fully prepared to give this place 4 stars. However, the "city view" rooms all face the very energetic coconut grove area. The clubs and bars all have permission from the chamber of commerce to be as loud as they want until 2:30am. I am talking DJ's voices, loud music with lots of bass coming into my room. I could distinguish songs it was so loud and i was on the 18th floor. I discovered this during my stay when I called the front desk in desperation at 2:00 knowing that there probably wasn't anything they could do. Apparently this happens all the time, and the l staffs way of addressing it is to call the police and file a noise complaint. Perhaps down the road their persistence will change the city's code, but it doesn't do much for my three sleepless nights. I asked to be moved to another room, but was told that the building was 100% booked. On top of this outside noise, the hotel doesn't have much in the way of soundproofing internally. I could hear others' toilets flushing, anything said in the hallway, etc, which made trying to make up sleep during the day difficult too. Now, I'm not a crabby old lady with unrealistic expectations about accommodations on trips. I know I'm not going to sleep as soundly as I would in my own bed. This was by far the most unreasonable amount of noise in a hotel room I've ever encountered. Perhaps it's better on the bay side, I just wasn't given the option of checking it out.

• Stayed September 2013
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Traveler2983
We appreciate your feedback regarding your stay and apologize for the inconveniences resulting from the nearby nightclubs. Your feedback will assist us in working with the local authorities. During your stay we were not able to relocate you to another room due to our occupancy. We hope that in the future we would have another opportunity to ensure you have an enjoyable experience in Coconut Grove.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

This was our 2nd time at the Sonesta. The only exception to our pleasant stay was an ongoing issue with our key card reader. My card never worked and my wife's card worked sporadically. Tonight will be our 6th night and the issue has yet to be resolved logistically. We have talked to maintenance or mgmt. at least 6 times. Maintenance has insisted that it's "my fault" for operator error. I'm not very diplomatic when addressing an issue such as this, so my wife spoke to a manager. Although our keys rarely work, we were comped for two breakfasts. That being said, we still really enjoy this hotel and will return in the future. I can honestly say that I did not pass by one employee this week that did not greet me in a genuine, pleasant manner. For us, the relaxing pool area is the highlight of this hotel. Get some breakfast poolside then come back at night to have a piña colada (ask for server Remy) First time guests will find a location with relatively easy travel to Biscayne, South Beach, etc. We will be back!

tBixElCaballo,
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We have addressed your comments with our Engineering team for correction. I am pleased that the staff made such an impression and we will be sure to share your comments with Remy. We look forward to your return.
Fort Myers, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Great location, very clean with artsy feel, staff very friendly & helpful
The only complaint: there are no mirrors in the bedroom or on closet door!
All mirrors are in the bathroom.. This is not good when 1 person is trying to get ready ( dry hair, put on make-up) and they have to wait til other person is done showering/ in the bathroom

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Carol F
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We appreciate your comments about the mirrors and have shared the feedback with our corporate design team for future implementation.
Cooper City, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Comfortable rooms. Nice Gym at the pent house. Spa and swimming pool. Excellent restaurant area with French, Indian, Peruvian, Italian and Latin Cuisine. Nice shopping area, Cocowalk, close to the hotel. Free wifi

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Bahia with the Marine
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Americo24
Thanks for the feedback. We hope to see you again soon.
Haslemere, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Ok - I understand it is Labour Day and folk want to party BUT I am in my room, 12 floors above ground with all windows firmly closed and I can still hear every word spoked by the DJ in the nearby club (mostly offensive!) and feel every beat of the music booming. It's 2.19 am and still it goes on - the chap at the front desk who i called an hour ago says they prob will go on until 3 am as its a holiday.... Woopie! Me and the family have a flight back to the UK in a few hours - so the least I expect from any hotel is the ability to have a good nights sleep. I wish Tripadvisor had the facility to upload the recording I made on my iPad (just in case the management need proof as to why we will not be vacating our room super-early .... We may sleep in!). Such a shame coz this hotel has so much going for it and I would otherwise have given it a much higher rating. Not sure if you had a bay view room the noise would be as bad so be sure to book one if you can - they were fully booked so we couldn't :( rooms this side should come with a prior warning that you will be disturbed by noise from the nearby 'vibrant' or should I say positively vibrating nightlife!

Room Tip: Do not have a city view room if you value your sleep!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Stockytravel
Please accept my apologies that your recent stay was not up to your expectations. We make every effort to minimize the effects from the nightclubs located nearby and we appreciate your feedback as it helps us continue in these efforts. We hope we will have another opportunity to serve you in the future.
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Like Goldilocks, the Sonesta was "just right". We've stayed at the Ritz, but found that it was going to be too expensive this time around. And we've stayed at the Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove and didn't love it. The Sonesta was something in the middle and perfect for us this time around.

We arrived at 8 am after driving through the night. We originally expected to arrive at the hotel in the evening so I didn't really expect to be able to check in right away. However, to our pleasant surprise they had a room available for us immediately. Great!!!

The great parts about this stay:
thick towels compared to some other hotels, nice bay view, good breakfast on site but also walking distance to Starbucks, convenient to the rest of Coconut Grove, very pleasant staff, good rollaway bed, comfortable beds, the front desk lent me an umbrella when it was pouring, clean room

The negatives (minor):
worn hallways, some noise from outside even though we had a bay view and were relatively high up, the air conditioner was very cold and we could never seem to adjust it

The biggest issue for me was that there were 3 mirrors (full length, regular mirror over sink, and magnifying mirror) but they were all in the bathroom. So if one of us was in the bathroom no one else could use a mirror.

I would return to the Sonesta and would recommend it highly. My husband liked it best of the hotels that we have stayed at in the area. Try the Peacock restaurant next door.

Room Tip: We had a bay view and overlooked the pool. We enjoyed the balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Bcaha
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased we were able to accommodate your early arrival and that your stay was perfect. We appreciate all of your feedback as it helps us understand what is important to our guests. We hope you will be back again.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!