“Decent by the bay hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #25 of 129 hotels in Miami
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Decent by the bay hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Valet was $25 a night which I thought was a bit steep - there are some lots and metered parking spaces around. I understand it's walking distance from Coconut Grove but also from not-so-pretty areas of Miami. The valet staff was very courteous and helpful though. The desk staff provided average service. They were nice enough to upgrade our room from city view to bay view.

We had a standard one queen bed room. A lot of people might think it's small but to me it was fine. Upon entering, there was an obviously used hand towel on top of the fridge cabinet with hair (!). Gross. We decided to put it on the floor and household picked it up the next day. There was a dark stain on the carpet too which was a shame being the room was otherwise clean, including the bathroom. The fixtures were good, nothing cracked or loose. The location is good for people visiting Miami itself. It is a 20 minute-ish drive to South Beach. For 4th of July, it was very nice to see fireworks from our room, they had it right on the bay. The pool was amazing, it's on the 8th floor and you can see the Bay and Miami while you lounge about.

Room Tip: Try to get a bay view room to fully appreciate the hotel's location
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Tunalala,
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Our housekeeping team missed an opportunity for a perfect room on your arrival and we will review the details with our team. We hope we will have another opportunity to wow you with a perfect room if your travels bring you back to Coconut Grove.

882 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Gypsy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I get to stay in a LOT of hotels and I can honestly say I have never stayed anywhere that has given me such great service. I have been lucky enough to stay here a number of times but this trip was the first in about 2 years. STILL THEY REMEMBERED I HAD STAYED THERE.

The location is great. Situated in Coconut Grove with fantastic views out across the bay, and close enough to downtown Miami for when you want to hit the party town. Check in smooth and efficient and when I needed something, nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms are great. Comfy and with all the amenities you need. I was on the 21st floor with views out towards Miami. This trip was 12 great nights where me and my team were looked after EXCEPTIONALLY well.

We were looked after by the lovely restaurant and conference staff, Omar, Jose and Manager Frank Ruiz. The latter being my hero. I hope I look that good and have that much energy when I am his age. He and his team worked tirelessly to look after us making sure we wanted for nothing. Thanks to all of them. As I said, simply awesome.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear MartynP,
Thank you for coming back to our hotel. We are always pleased when our guests return to visit us. I am pleased that your return trip was a success and met your expectations. We look forward to your return. Margaret Rose
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Recently stayed here five (5) days for a business conference (company: Panalpina, Inc.). Was thoroughly impressed with the hotel, its cleanliness, the location, the food and especially the very friendly staff. Special call out for Frank, and Gerladine working with our group on the 8th floor meeting rooms and restaurant; they worked hard and was extremely friendly with everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
DannyS,
We appreciate your comments about your recent visit to our property. I am glad that our team made such a positive impression on you and your colleagues. I will be sure to share your comments with Frank and Geraldine. Thank you for staying with us.
Manchester UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Initially indecisive about where to stay in Miami, we opted for the Coconut Grove area and the Sonesta Hotel rather than South Beach. I think I got it right as my days for partying in South Beach are now distant memories.

The Sonesta was very good and we were met with smiling faces after the 20 minute $35 cab ride from the airport. Check in was simple and the only noticeable thing being that the suitcases weren’t taken to the room. Not much of a problem though.

The 8th floor is where the action is… pool, terrace, bar and restaurant. There is a fitness suite on the very top floor. 22nd I think.

Rooms were clean, tidy and adequate. Large bathroom with shower, walk in wardrobe, safe, coffee maker and well stocked fridge. Flat screen TV. We had a 20th floor executive Bay View room, with balcony, which looked south, taking advantage of the ‘stay 3 nights 30% off’ promotion. The hotel Wi-Fi was temperamental and mostly due to the initial ‘login page’ hiding itself. We didn’t dine in the restaurant but we did have a night cap on the terrace and the quality and quantity of food looked very good. Staff were extremely courteous, helpful and friendly.

2 minutes walk from the hotel is Coco Walk with the shops, bars and nearby streets have sidewalk cafes/restaurants. If you want to visit Dadeland Shopping Mall then the 249 Coconut Grove Loop bus leaves the top of the street every 25 minutes. Its a 25c fare and runs from Douglas Road Metro to Coconut Grove Metro. A $2 Metro ticket will get you to Dadeland North Metro station and the shopping mall is across the street. We caught the 249 & Metro back to the airport… $2.25 and a 30 minute ride.

The Sonesta is very nice, quiet, charming hotel in an interesting part of Miami.

Would I return… Yes I would if the offer was still on.
Would I recommend to friends and family… yes I would

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ajhaeh,
Thank you for recent stay at our hotel. I am pleased that you had such a positive experience. Please check our website when you are booking your next stay as all of the current promotions and packages are posted. We hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week at The Sonesta where we had out company's sales training. Have one negative comment and that is the elevators are slow. That's how perfect the hotel is. The food was delicious for a hotel, every meal was freshly prepared. The service was above outstanding - Frank Ruiz was so helpful and amazing. He treated each one of us with respect and couldn't do enough for us. A+ service. The hotel is situated right on the bay - cant ask for a better location. We will be back again to work with the hotel on our training accommodations, real soon. Thank you to Ebru & Alice from the sales team for making our training a great success.

• Stayed July 2013
EllaM33
We appreciate your comments about your experience at our hotel with your training session. We are pleased that our Catering and Food and Beverage team made your event such a success. We look forward to your groups return.
Best Regards,
Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The Sonesta is and has alwas been a favorite place to stay. The destination, the staff, the accommodations... everything is just A++ . Everybody is there to help and make it the most enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
NoemiG,
Thank you for sharing your feelings about our property. Come back soon for another visit.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I'm a native miamian though I have been living in Tampa for the past 20 years. Have stayed in numerous hotels in the city as I have family in the area that I visit on occasion. Hotel is centrally located in the grove. Walking distance to multiple nice restaurants in the area. Hotel is clean and safe with fantastic views of the bay. Room was clean with excellent maid service and has a cozy feeling to it as if you were staying in your own apt. or condo. Prices were reasonable, will stay here again.

Room Tip: pick a room with a view of the bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jorge,
Thank you for posting your comments about your return to Miami. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!