“First trip to Miami -- great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #24 of 130 hotels in Miami
Richmond, Va.
“First trip to Miami -- great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Flew down for a college visit at University of Miami and stayed at the Sonesta. It was great. We were there in April 2013, the hotel didn't seem to be busy. Our room was on the 20th floor with a small balcony that faced north. We had a 180-degree view, Biscayne Bay off to the right, the Miami metropolis stretching out to the north and west. See photos. Our room was fine and had a small kitchenette, which we didn't use. But we enjoyed sitting on the balcony and taking in the views. The first night we went to the bar and sat outside soaking up the urban nighttime vibe, friendly waitress, customers enjoying the spring night. The lounge is next to the pool.
The best thing about the trip was that (at the last minute) the Sonesta's concierge was able to get tickets for us to the Miami Heat's first play-off game against Milwaukee. Sold-out game, but he knew a broker. It was FANTASTIC! We took a taxi to the arena, driving there would have been a nightmare. Our first NBA game, free T-shirts at every seat, "Witness Miami" noise-makers, all the stars played. I loved it, my son was in heaven.
By mistake, I left a "Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on the door to our room on the day after we arrived. Even though the cleaning staff must have finished their work hours earlier, they quickly cleaned our room in the late afternoon. That was great service.
We didn't eat at the hotel. One morning we had breakfast at a tasty, and busy, restaurant a couple of blocks away, the Green Street Cafe. The next day we stopped at a Starbucks very close by. FYI, an Episcopal church is across the street from the hotel.
The shopping nearby is great, lots of small shops and boutiques all around, easy to walk to. Coconut Grove is a fun area.
For us, this quick 3-day getaway was one of the best short trips we've taken. I loved the Sonesta, a big-city hotel that took good care of us in a pleasant, professional, understated way. Is it any wonder that my son is going to "The U" this fall?

Room Tip: A room facing north is nice, and higher the better for good views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Rrsrichmond,
Thank you for selecting our hotel for your first visit to Miami. As mentioned we are centrally located to not only the University of Miami but also the American Airlines Arena, Marlins Park and the Arscht Center. I am pleased that we provided you with great service and we hope that when you come to visit your son at school you will think of us as your home away from home. We hope you are back soon.

877 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed here for two nights for a meeting. There were some hiccups upon check in – due to storms I got in very late, and When I arrived the desk clerk regarded me like one might regard an extraterrestrial. I mentioned I had a reservation and he said he wasn't expecting anyone else for the evening. A little more discussion and he realized that my Hotwire reservation had not been entered into the system. This sort of thing irritates me. If someone walks into your hotel and tells you they have a reservation, it might be best to exhaust all obvious possibilities before telling them you don't have any idea who they are. It shouldn't be up to the guest to take the lead in determining what went wrong. The clerk was perfectly nice, and perhaps the late hour affected my mood, but it was still annoying.

After check-in, I was sent to a room with broken air conditioning. Went back downstairs, got switched to a new room with no hassle at all. I was not crazy about the new room. It had a full-size kitchen that took up 1/2 the room. This feature might be good for some, but I had absolutely no use for it and it made me feel like I was in a poorly-planned studio apartment. The first room (with the broken AC) was more of a conventional hotel room. Finally, while the kitchenette room was well maintained it was quite dated.

The hotel itself is in a fantastic location in Coconut Grove with lots of restaurants and other attractions within walking distance. There are great views from the deck on the eighth floor. I found the staff to be generally very nice and helpful. The valet is very quick, and while valet parking is expensive it's probably below market rate for Miami. If you really want to save a couple bucks, you can park in the garage directly next door from less money. I got a great deal on the room so I guess I shouldn't be complaining; however, if I had paid full price for this room I'd have been really, really unhappy.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear JonathanF,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. Despite the hiccups I am pleased that overall you had a good experience. Thanks for the feedback regarding your booking. We will double check our internet booking processes and get it right.
Key Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

It's a beautiful hotel in downtown Coconut Grove. The rooms are really nice and they have ample space for a reception. The location is perfect for walking around Coconut Grove, where there are more shops, bars and restaurants to keep the average busy. You are also very close to Brickell Avenue, Key Biscayne, Downtown Miami. Perfect spot for getting to know Miami.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mona,
Happy 30th Reunion! We were honored to celebrate with you and your classmates. Glad to be a part of such an important event. We hope you will be back at 40!
Best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Thanks to all at coconut grove. The room was great with a full kitchen and large fridge for those cheesecakes across the road at Coconut Grove. our room didn't have a bay view but it was still a large very comfortable room. Staff were all excellent, but a special thanks to Mari who was particularly good.

A great part of Miami to be in - wonderful characters in the mall a few steps away - the woman in the information booth is so helpful and the woman in the nearby home of the Coconut Grove Arts Festival was just great fun. Make sure you see/buy posters from the previous Coconut grove art festivals!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your visit to the Sonesta. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that our front office manager made such a positive impact. I will be sure to share these comments with her.
Best Regards,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We first stayed at the Sonesta Bayfront 2 years ago and we were so impressed that we wanted to go back. This time we stayed for 4 nights and it lived up to all of our expectations. This hotel really is fabulous. Staff are all exceptionally friendly and helpful....nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is absolutely spotless! If you are the sort who likes to complain you would find it difficult here....sure there was the occasional "snagette" e.g. Very small forecourt so if you arrive when it is busy you might have to wait a few moments to get unloaded or to get the valet to park your car. Breakfast isn't the cheapest in the grove but quality is great....and none of this really matters! This is a top hotel and one of our favourites. Sadly we live in Scotland so are unable to visit regularly but we now have this as the first destination we pencil in when planning a trip to the Miami area!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Gordonsilverbirch,
Thank you for returning for another visit to the hotel. I am pleased that on your return you found the hotel to be exactly how you remembered. We look forward to your return.
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

The Sonesta lived up to expectations - nice rooms, clean, good service, well located (in the area but not in Miami generally.) I booked on hotwire so the price was ok but the hotel isn't particularly special in anyway so do not splurge. It was raining so I didn't make it to the pool. The restaurant is actually quite good value and worth checking out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
alexOz,
I am pleased we lived up your expectations and that you found us to be a good value. We also offer great rates on our website Sonesta.com. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed my stay at the Sonesta Hotel Coconut Grove. The staff was very accommodating and the hotel was very nice. From the clean smell through out the hotel to comfortable beds and large bathroom. I would definitely stay there again on my next business trip.

• Stayed June 2013
Ajones29
Thank you for selecting us for your business trip to Miami. We are pleased we were able to exceed your expectations. We hope to see you soon.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!