“Superb hotel, fabulous view” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
Summer Sizzler: Save 25%
Ranked #36 of 112 Hotels in Miami
Istanbul
“Superb hotel, fabulous view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Came for a week of paddle boarding in local waters. Staff on hand for every need. Bed and linen among the best I've ever slept in...and I've slept in a lot. Breakfast sumptuous. It's the staff who really make it however, angels all with a sense of humour too.

Can't wait to come back. Really I can't.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear tristan077,
We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit and had a chance to do some paddle boarding while in Miami. I will be sure to share your comments with our team. We look forward to your return.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The staff were friendly and the service was perfect. The valets were informative, professional and helped us find a great place to eat and find public transportation. The lobby smelled wonderful and the entire hotel is spotless! The bedding (especially the pillows) were awesome and the rooms were very quiet. There is plenty of shopping and food choices around the area as well. We enjoyed it so much, I joined the Sonesta club for future amenities. We will be back!

Room Tip: I believe all rooms would be nice but the view from the 21st floor was spectacular!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Terry P,
We appreciate your feedback regarding your short trip to Miami. We will be sure to share with our valet team how much you enjoyed their services. We agree that our location, view and pillows are pretty spectacular as well. Come back soon!
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I travel a lot to the United States and am always impressed with the good service. However this only highlighted the exceptionally poor experience at the Sonesta.

Let me start with a few positives... A pleasant lobby area featuring some beautiful artwork, great views across Biscayne Bay, a big comfy bed, lively pool area and very delightful restaurant (Peacock Grove) next door.

But after checking in, my stay was littered with problems I feel I should highlight.

Check-in itself was poor, the staff seemed disinterested from the off and I had to ask where I could retrieve my luggage (which had been left with bell staff while room was prepared).

When I checked in I accidentally left my coat with the bell staff. I phoned down to ask them to bring it up but they said as they were busy could I wait 10/15minutes. I said yes, but was conscious I needed to shower before leaving in 35 minutes. After 20minutes I phoned back saying not to worry (as I needed to shower) and that I would collect myself. (I later found out another guy and a girl in my group were told they the bell staff were going to bring up their luggage only for it to fail to appear.)

My suite was very depressing with basic bedroom furniture and a dated kitchen area. The bathroom was clean but again, very dated and basic.

Then there was the issue with the key card. EVERY single time I went to my room (except once) the key card failed to work. It was beyond a joke.

Each time I had to trek down to reception which was a mission in itself. The lifts were painfully slow and only two of the four were in action.

To save myself the mission on a couple of occasions, I used the phone by the lift to ask if someone could come up to help me but again the service was very slow. During the calls to reception each member of staff spoke so fast it felt like they wanted to get me off the phone as quick as possible.

Then there was the 'breakfast'. The first night I hung my order on my door at 11pm fully expecting my granola at 8.30am. Surprise surprise, at 8.30am nothing had arrived so I checked my door and the order card had not been collected. I phoned room service to chase up but the message said it was closed. I phoned the fast-talking receptionist, who again seemed to want to get my off the line as quick as possible, and they directed me through to the restaurant. I explained what had happened and they came to collect my card. A few minutes later they phoned to say they did not have the yogurt I wanted but asked if they could swap it for another flavour to which I agreed. What they did not tell me was that there was actually no granola so they bought me a selection of other cereals and a random plate of egg and sausages. It arrived five minutes before I needed to leave so all I really managed was a gulp of tea. (I also want to point out the ghastly sight of crusty old food on the sugar dish.)

The second night, I wanted to give the room service another go. No menu had been left so I decided it might be best to phone up the next morning and order directly. All I wanted was a cup of tea and some fruit and yogurt but it took 1 hr 15 minutes to bring up to my room which again left little time for more than a swift sip.

Then there was the noise. The first morning I was woken before 7am by the roadworks that were going on directly outside my room. I have never experienced noise so early, especially on a weekend and there was no pre-warning for this.

The gym was in the business of refurbishment so temporary flooring and no direct lift and I had to use the grotty staircase.

Wi-fi also failed to work in my room.

When I eventually checked out the receptionist barely said anything. Isn't it normal for someone to ask how your stay was?

An infuriating trip and I will not return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Beciwood,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We were pleased to have your group with us during your stay in Miami and had hoped your experience would be very positive. I would appreciate an opportunity to follow up with you directly regarding your visit.
Rockville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The lobby art work (which is like a modern art museum) and vibe set the tone. Our room was a large a fully equipped suite with kitchenette, huge king bed, and lovely view. We even had a cot which was about the nicest cot any of us had ever seen or slept on. It was perfect for our weekend get away. This location is steps from Coconut Grove so great shops and places to eat and hang out. Not to mention the hotels own lovely bar and eateries overlooking the area.

The staff was lovely and always helpful. Even got my friend some ice cream when the restaurant had recently closed. The price was below many of the lower chain types. Do park in the more public lot next door to avoid parking hassles and save a bit.

I'll definitely be back as I'm a UM parent and go to visit a few times a year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
8vntrer
We are pleased that you enjoyed the artwork in our lobby. We are very proud of our collection of art throughout the hotel and have a self-guided brochure to share with any art enthusiast that comes for a visit. We are glad that you enjoyed your trip to Coconut Grove and hope that we will see you again soon.
Best Regards,
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week stay in Miami, staying at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove. We were just saying on the journey back, that if we return to Miami next year we will definitely be considering the Sonesta as an option.

This is a large hotel with over 200 rooms, but not as big as some of the other major hotels in Miami - small enough so that you don't feel like a number.

When we arrived, we were impressed with the lobby, lots of art hanging up and in all the corridors of the hotel (we later found out there is even a walking guide for this!) and check-in was smooth and no problems, we had even been upgraded to a bay view room! It was late so we went straight to bed when we arrived.

We were on the 21st floor - one minor point that hampered our stay was that one of the elevators was out of service for the entire time. There are four elevators but one is "service", for staff only. The remaining two really struggled to keep up with the occupants of the building, and we often had to wait for long periods, to go downstairs or go back up. Once inside they stopped at almost every floor as the hotel was nearly full. If we'd been on a lower floor the stairs are obviously an option! :)

Our room was bright and very large! We had a balcony that looked as though it was once shared with the neighbouring room, as the "divider" was simply some stretched canvas! However it gave enough privacy. The room had a large TV and the bed was impressive with very high quality bedding. We also had the benefit of a fully fitted kitchen! (This is a condo-hotel so many of the rooms are in-fact apartments) The bathroom was very modern and all toiletries that you would expect were provided. The view from the room was terrific and by far the biggest selling point of the room. You could see for miles, and Coconut Grove is a beautiful area.

The building seems to struggle with water pressure as the showers performance was not great at times, and also in the gym - the shower actually turned off due to low pressure, I had to turn it off and on again to get it to restart! I don't know if this is only happening on the upper floors.

The pool deck and restaurant is on the 8th floor, and again they were very well-kept. Breakfast service was swift and the food was great! Guillermo was great; very friendly and seemed to remember everyone who was staying :) Probably the nicest waiter we've met in two visits to Miami!

The pool and jacuzzi are a little on the small side but even at full occupancy in the hotel, it never seemed to get too busy on the pool deck, which worked well for us as we spent at least two days sitting there doing nothing!

There is a gym on the top floor of the building, this is the only slight let-down as it was a bit smaller than we were expecting, and as this is also open to the buildings apartment residents I actually felt like I was intruding - as it clearly has regular users. Equipment is quite limited, which is a shame as the view is stunning! There is also a sauna up here.

Coconut Grove is a lovely area, there are numerous local restaurants who serve great food - ones we would recommend are the Green Street Cafe and Lulu (both facing each other off Main Highway) and La Bouchon du Grove (also on Main Highway) - but to be honest, your choices are limitless! There are also major chains like Cheesecake Factory, Johnny Rockets etc. The locals are friendly and generally we got the feeling this area attracts a "good" crowd, as opposed to parts of South Beach. We felt very safe and really noticed the difference when we explored other areas of the city. It was very nice to come back to the Sonesta!

Overall, this is a terrific hotel. It is not perfect, but what hotel is? We felt it offered great value for money and we received excellent service in all areas. Unusually for Miami, there were no "problems" with the bill later, and nothing unexpected! We would definitely stay here again and would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Miami who wants to stay in a high-end hotel without the high-end price tag!

Room Tip: Ensure that your room has a balcony (not all of them do) - you will have a choice of City, Bay, or p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tflynnuk,
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel, we are pleased that you felt right at home and had time to use all of our facilities and enjoy Coconut Grove. As noted one of our elevators was out for a mandatory repair during your visit, the good news is that it is back in service and running well. We hope that when you return to Miami for a short or extended stay that you will come back to Sonesta for another visit.
Rosedale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was my first time staying in Coconut Grove and I could not have picked a better hotel. My husband and I had a great time. We got the one bedroom suite that had two bathrooms, a living room with tv and full kitchen so you can cook if you want and buy stuff to put in the refrigerator. And an extended balcony, outside bedroom and living room. Our view looked over Coconut Grove which was beautiful at night, we didnt miss the bay view from the other side. Their is a restaurant on site, our package included continental breakfast, but you can always have anything else and thy charge the difference. There is also a pool on the 8th floor outside the restaurant.

The location was great, we were an 1:15 minutes away from Key Largo, 20 minutes from Miami airport and Miami Beach and only 15 from the Miami Aquarium. This was an ideal location for my husband and I, there is a little shopping area up the block and a bay around the corner. Not to mention the local shops and plenty of different places to eat and a movie theater. We took advantage of the location and drive to Key Largo and went fishing, we of course went to Miami Beach and the aquarium that's how come we know the time it takes to get to each location.

If you do go to Key Largo, there is a little fishing charter area right in between the Hilton and the other hotel, I do believe a Marriott and we had fun. The name of the boat is Sailors's Choice and 40 dollars for half a day was great, just bring yourself and some beer! Josh; who helps you on the trip, was really helpful, this was my first time fishing and I would absolutely do it again and I caught the biggest fish for the trip and won the little pot we had going!

If you love seafood, go to Joe's Stone Crab on Washington in Miami Beach! If its too crowded just go to the take out side and by the time you drive the 15/20 minutes back to the hotel the food will still be hot!

Overall we had a great time, the only issue I had was that they put our name in wrong on the reservation so it was a hassle sometimes when they had to look up our room to charge us for the overnight parking (which included 24hour valet service-bonus) and for breakfast. Oh, and the night staff were not as friendly as the day staff at the front desk, they seemed like they didnt want to be bothered, so for these two things I have service a 4 instead of 5. Other than these small issues, I plan on going back to stay here in the future.

• Stayed March 2013
Lesley-KayB
We appreciate your comments about your trip to Miami and for sharing your tips on Key Largo and Joe’s. You certainly got around town on your visit and found some of the jewels. We hope to see you soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I recently held a 3 day Forum with high level municipal officials from around the country at the Sonesta. I received nothing but the best service from the entire staff. From pre-planning to final execution-all went smoothly. We used the Peacock and Bay room for meeting space and the group felt like it was treat to have such great views and access to terraces! The room was well dressed and no issues with a/v. The food was amazing at all times. Frank ( recently awarded 2012 employee of the year!), Jose, and Omar were beyond responsive and helpful. Truly first class service. Frank would even ensure my vegan attendee had her meals made to order. I would be remiss to not also mention Ebru, Alice, Alex, and Nathan. They were also responsive, flexible and a joy to work with throughout the entire event. The group I work for is a picky bunch and I did not receive not one complaint or issue-nothing but compliments! The location was ideal for a meeting as its near Coco Walk and a cab ride from South Beach. The facilities and restaurant were also really good. Front desk staff was also helpful and free wifi throughout the building is great. I have encountered hotels that only provide wifi for an exorbitant price which is ridiculous. I did not experience any noise issues and in fact Alice ensured that any potential work be held until our meeting was done. I personally find this hotel to be an excellent place for business and play. Given my line of work, I am hard to please and I am pleased. I would come for a personal stay as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms are above the parking to afford for great views-city and bay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear qmickie,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent meeting at our hotel. We are very pleased that your event was a success and that our team responded to all of your needs. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!