“Affordable Miami Style” 5 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #31 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Rockville, Maryland
“Affordable Miami Style”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The lobby art work (which is like a modern art museum) and vibe set the tone. Our room was a large a fully equipped suite with kitchenette, huge king bed, and lovely view. We even had a cot which was about the nicest cot any of us had ever seen or slept on. It was perfect for our weekend get away. This location is steps from Coconut Grove so great shops and places to eat and hang out. Not to mention the hotels own lovely bar and eateries overlooking the area.

The staff was lovely and always helpful. Even got my friend some ice cream when the restaurant had recently closed. The price was below many of the lower chain types. Do park in the more public lot next door to avoid parking hassles and save a bit.

I'll definitely be back as I'm a UM parent and go to visit a few times a year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
8vntrer
We are pleased that you enjoyed the artwork in our lobby. We are very proud of our collection of art throughout the hotel and have a self-guided brochure to share with any art enthusiast that comes for a visit. We are glad that you enjoyed your trip to Coconut Grove and hope that we will see you again soon.
Best Regards,
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 week stay in Miami, staying at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove. We were just saying on the journey back, that if we return to Miami next year we will definitely be considering the Sonesta as an option.

This is a large hotel with over 200 rooms, but not as big as some of the other major hotels in Miami - small enough so that you don't feel like a number.

When we arrived, we were impressed with the lobby, lots of art hanging up and in all the corridors of the hotel (we later found out there is even a walking guide for this!) and check-in was smooth and no problems, we had even been upgraded to a bay view room! It was late so we went straight to bed when we arrived.

We were on the 21st floor - one minor point that hampered our stay was that one of the elevators was out of service for the entire time. There are four elevators but one is "service", for staff only. The remaining two really struggled to keep up with the occupants of the building, and we often had to wait for long periods, to go downstairs or go back up. Once inside they stopped at almost every floor as the hotel was nearly full. If we'd been on a lower floor the stairs are obviously an option! :)

Our room was bright and very large! We had a balcony that looked as though it was once shared with the neighbouring room, as the "divider" was simply some stretched canvas! However it gave enough privacy. The room had a large TV and the bed was impressive with very high quality bedding. We also had the benefit of a fully fitted kitchen! (This is a condo-hotel so many of the rooms are in-fact apartments) The bathroom was very modern and all toiletries that you would expect were provided. The view from the room was terrific and by far the biggest selling point of the room. You could see for miles, and Coconut Grove is a beautiful area.

The building seems to struggle with water pressure as the showers performance was not great at times, and also in the gym - the shower actually turned off due to low pressure, I had to turn it off and on again to get it to restart! I don't know if this is only happening on the upper floors.

The pool deck and restaurant is on the 8th floor, and again they were very well-kept. Breakfast service was swift and the food was great! Guillermo was great; very friendly and seemed to remember everyone who was staying :) Probably the nicest waiter we've met in two visits to Miami!

The pool and jacuzzi are a little on the small side but even at full occupancy in the hotel, it never seemed to get too busy on the pool deck, which worked well for us as we spent at least two days sitting there doing nothing!

There is a gym on the top floor of the building, this is the only slight let-down as it was a bit smaller than we were expecting, and as this is also open to the buildings apartment residents I actually felt like I was intruding - as it clearly has regular users. Equipment is quite limited, which is a shame as the view is stunning! There is also a sauna up here.

Coconut Grove is a lovely area, there are numerous local restaurants who serve great food - ones we would recommend are the Green Street Cafe and Lulu (both facing each other off Main Highway) and La Bouchon du Grove (also on Main Highway) - but to be honest, your choices are limitless! There are also major chains like Cheesecake Factory, Johnny Rockets etc. The locals are friendly and generally we got the feeling this area attracts a "good" crowd, as opposed to parts of South Beach. We felt very safe and really noticed the difference when we explored other areas of the city. It was very nice to come back to the Sonesta!

Overall, this is a terrific hotel. It is not perfect, but what hotel is? We felt it offered great value for money and we received excellent service in all areas. Unusually for Miami, there were no "problems" with the bill later, and nothing unexpected! We would definitely stay here again and would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Miami who wants to stay in a high-end hotel without the high-end price tag!

Room Tip: Ensure that your room has a balcony (not all of them do) - you will have a choice of City, Bay, or p...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tflynnuk,
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel, we are pleased that you felt right at home and had time to use all of our facilities and enjoy Coconut Grove. As noted one of our elevators was out for a mandatory repair during your visit, the good news is that it is back in service and running well. We hope that when you return to Miami for a short or extended stay that you will come back to Sonesta for another visit.
Rosedale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time staying in Coconut Grove and I could not have picked a better hotel. My husband and I had a great time. We got the one bedroom suite that had two bathrooms, a living room with tv and full kitchen so you can cook if you want and buy stuff to put in the refrigerator. And an extended balcony, outside bedroom and living room. Our view looked over Coconut Grove which was beautiful at night, we didnt miss the bay view from the other side. Their is a restaurant on site, our package included continental breakfast, but you can always have anything else and thy charge the difference. There is also a pool on the 8th floor outside the restaurant.

The location was great, we were an 1:15 minutes away from Key Largo, 20 minutes from Miami airport and Miami Beach and only 15 from the Miami Aquarium. This was an ideal location for my husband and I, there is a little shopping area up the block and a bay around the corner. Not to mention the local shops and plenty of different places to eat and a movie theater. We took advantage of the location and drive to Key Largo and went fishing, we of course went to Miami Beach and the aquarium that's how come we know the time it takes to get to each location.

If you do go to Key Largo, there is a little fishing charter area right in between the Hilton and the other hotel, I do believe a Marriott and we had fun. The name of the boat is Sailors's Choice and 40 dollars for half a day was great, just bring yourself and some beer! Josh; who helps you on the trip, was really helpful, this was my first time fishing and I would absolutely do it again and I caught the biggest fish for the trip and won the little pot we had going!

If you love seafood, go to Joe's Stone Crab on Washington in Miami Beach! If its too crowded just go to the take out side and by the time you drive the 15/20 minutes back to the hotel the food will still be hot!

Overall we had a great time, the only issue I had was that they put our name in wrong on the reservation so it was a hassle sometimes when they had to look up our room to charge us for the overnight parking (which included 24hour valet service-bonus) and for breakfast. Oh, and the night staff were not as friendly as the day staff at the front desk, they seemed like they didnt want to be bothered, so for these two things I have service a 4 instead of 5. Other than these small issues, I plan on going back to stay here in the future.

• Stayed March 2013
Lesley-KayB
We appreciate your comments about your trip to Miami and for sharing your tips on Key Largo and Joe’s. You certainly got around town on your visit and found some of the jewels. We hope to see you soon.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I recently held a 3 day Forum with high level municipal officials from around the country at the Sonesta. I received nothing but the best service from the entire staff. From pre-planning to final execution-all went smoothly. We used the Peacock and Bay room for meeting space and the group felt like it was treat to have such great views and access to terraces! The room was well dressed and no issues with a/v. The food was amazing at all times. Frank ( recently awarded 2012 employee of the year!), Jose, and Omar were beyond responsive and helpful. Truly first class service. Frank would even ensure my vegan attendee had her meals made to order. I would be remiss to not also mention Ebru, Alice, Alex, and Nathan. They were also responsive, flexible and a joy to work with throughout the entire event. The group I work for is a picky bunch and I did not receive not one complaint or issue-nothing but compliments! The location was ideal for a meeting as its near Coco Walk and a cab ride from South Beach. The facilities and restaurant were also really good. Front desk staff was also helpful and free wifi throughout the building is great. I have encountered hotels that only provide wifi for an exorbitant price which is ridiculous. I did not experience any noise issues and in fact Alice ensured that any potential work be held until our meeting was done. I personally find this hotel to be an excellent place for business and play. Given my line of work, I am hard to please and I am pleased. I would come for a personal stay as well.

Room Tip: All the rooms are above the parking to afford for great views-city and bay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear qmickie,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent meeting at our hotel. We are very pleased that your event was a success and that our team responded to all of your needs. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel, Coconut Grove for a couple of nights at the end of a Florida holiday. Our room on the 16th floor was comfortable enough, but the sliding door to the balcony didn't lock properly and the curtains were frayed, which let the place down a little. We didn't know it when we booked, but the Coconut Grove Arts Festival was on over the weekend we were there and this is a massive event (c. 250 stalls I guess), with an excellent display of art, jewellery, glassware and pottery by exhibitors from all over the USA. The show kept us amused, which was lucky because there was no beach to speak of!
The best thing about the hotel was the restaurant; our waiter Humberto was great but the real star of the show is the restaurant manager Frank, who always seemd to be at work. He was friendly, welcoming, efficient and charming - he always had a smile on his face. Eat there and have some of the Peruvian themed food, which is superb.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GrahamJ
You picked a great time to visit Coconut Grove as we celebrated the 50th Coconut Grove Art Festival. It begins right outside our front door so we are one of the best locations to stay for this event. We have also just completed an installation of new drapes in all of our guest rooms which we hope you will enjoy on your next visit. I will be sure to share your comments with our restaurant team. Thank you for staying with us.
Utrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The rooms are clean and spacious.
Lovely bay view.
The rooftop pool is great with great bay views.
Coconut Grove is a lovely place.
Need a car to visit south beach.

I travelled at 2010 but cannot fill in that date on when did you travel.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Debby76,
You said it best, short and to the point. Thanks for your visit and we hope to see you soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel is great-looking, in a good location if you want to hang out in "the Grove", or are going to the U of Miami. Try to get a high floor room facing the bay. I had a "city view" suite with a great wrap-around balcony, only problem was noise from the bars at night. It's a long drive to South Beach mainly because of traffic. If you're going to be going there a lot I would stay closer next time.

• Stayed February 2013
Sahegl12345,
Thanks for your recent visit to Coconut Grove. We are located near to Coral Gables and are a short drive to Miami Beach. We think our views of the bay are worth the trip alone but if you are not able to stay overnight, stop by and visit our Panorama Restaurant so you can enjoy the view and the great food.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!