“Poor service, poor room condition” 1 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #23 of 130 hotels in Miami
Texas
“Poor service, poor room condition”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I spent one night here on our way to our vacation in the Bahamas. While the location was great, we were disappointed with our nearly-$400 a night room.

Room 1204-2 was sold as a "Deluxe Bay View" room, but the "view" required leaning on the balcony rail and peeking around an opaque wind screen that divided the balcony in two. The room shared an entry hall and the balcony with the neighboring, connecting room, 1204-1. Our door didn't have a security latch or chain.

The room had a full kitchen, but the refrigerator was noisy, waking me several times at night with a high-pitched whine each time the compressor switched on. The walls were dingy and scratched, and the curtain was torn. There was hair in the bathtub.

We received slow, poor service both at the pool area restaurant & from room service. The bellman didn't show after more than 15 minutes. Housekeeping knocked @ 9 am.

Attention smokers: be prepared to smoke on the front porch or be re-directed all over the place at different times, as smoking is not allowed on the balconies and the areas on the 8th floor where it's permitted may be used for a private party or closed after 11 PM. One man said he'd accidentally been locked out of the building because the door allowed him to exit, but didn't allow re-entry. (He propped the door open with his shoe when I was there.)

We visited the pool restaurant twice, once for coffee and desert and then for morning coffee. After we'd looked at the menu and decided, we were told they didn't have our menu choice. It was very, very windy, so the sweetener packets flew all over. Perhaps that's why we weren't offered napkins either time.

Room service didn't bring part of our order or even coffee cups - we had to rinse and re-use the cups in the kitchen. I was told that the V8 juice I ordered wasn't available because it was Saturday and "supplies" were locked up.

We won't return to the Sonesta.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear hocndoc,
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Although we strive to provide an outstanding guest experience, sometimes we miss the mark. Thank you for providing your feedback. We appreciate your comments as they will help us to improve and provide the type of service our guests have to expect from Sonesta.

865 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

A quick in and out was all that I had at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove, but it was enough to make me wishing that I had more time there. The hotel is lovely with fine woodcuts and lithographs everywhere -- public spaces and the large, comfortable rooms. Everything is modern and well maintained. The bathroom was large and stocked with excellent Italian soaps, shampoos and lotions. The room had a little electric stovetop, refrigerator and a very well stocked mini-bar. The view of the marina across the street and bay beyond is quite stunning. Breakfast on the patio of the eighth-floor restaurant just after sunrise was exhilirating. I came on a business trip, arriving in mid-afternoon with three hours free before having to lecture at the University of Miami. A swim in the immaculate pool was just the ticket to refreshing myself after a long series of flights. The staff was consistently pleasant and helpful. I was sorry to depart after such a brief stay and would certainly go back if the opportunity arose. Although I could not take advantage of the area, just a block away was the active nightlife area of Coconut Grove. So the hotel would certainly be a pleasant place for vacationers to stay as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear noamasher,
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for sharing your comments about your visit. We are a great location for business travel and as you discovered we offer many amenities to allow you to relax and enjoy any free time that you have. We look forward to your next visit and hope you can stay a little longer.
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First time on this hotel to try something new for my business trips to Miami and I had a good overall experience. The building, common areas and room are very well maintained and nice design. The F&B experience at the Panorama Restaurant was very good and staff has great attitude. The location is great, since it takes you to Coral Gables, Brickell, Dadeland and Airport from 10-20 minutes and is next to the ocean.

My only compaint is that the rooms facing south (towards Coco Walk) can get some noise from those bars at night.

Dear Jose G,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased that you found Coconut Grove a great location for your travel needs. I am pleased our staff made such a positive impression and that you felt right at home. We hope you will be back again when your travels bring you to Miami.
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sonesta for a few days while in the Miami area for business and personal commitments. The hotel room was quiet, clean, and had a fantastic view of the bay that made waking up in the morning something special. The service throughout the hotel was very attentive and diligent. I recommend the hotel highly. It is perfectly located, with easy access to anywhere in Miami, or to just hang around the neighborhood for a walk or for a really good Ceviche at the Panorama restaurant in the hotel.

Dear Orlando F,
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and we appreciate your feedback. As you experienced our Panorama Restaurant offers incredible ceviche and Coconut Grove has a lot to offer all within walking distance of the hotel. We hope to see you again soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

A friend and I stayed here for a girls weekend. I booked on hotels.com and paid extra for a Bayfront room. I requested two queens if possible but did not get my wish. Our room was very small and as my pictures show, not well appointed. There were missing lightbulbs, missing coffee, and some crud smeared on the side of the minibar. Our balcony was so small no chairs could fit out there. That said the view was wonderful, cocktails and ceviche at the restaurant were wonderful and the local area for dining and shopping were a real treat.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear smhs11609,
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that your room was not what you expected on your arrival. We have several different room types and views available in our inventory and we recommend that you check on our website for descriptions and photos when booking online. Our rooms with two queen beds are only available in a City view category and must be reserved specifically. I am pleased that you enjoyed our restaurant and its great views as well as Coconut Grove. Thank you for staying with us and we hope we will have another opportunity in the future to exceed your expectations.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed with my husband for two nights in October. The hotel, the service and the location are splendid.
However, on the first day, the valet parking crashed one of our rented car door and as there was no proof or film that evidenced their responsibility, the hotel did not give us an answer because the parking service is not under the hotel scope. They just discounted the parking fare from our account and promised to follow up our claim and send us an email with a formal response so that we may submit it before the rental company.
A long month passed yet the email never showed up.
The parking is one of the services that hotel offers. Even though the service is rendered by an external supplier, we think that the hotel has to be responsible for this type of incidents.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear MarianaPuerta,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. Although our valet parking service is handled by another company we like to follow up with all guests regarding any issues at the hotel. Please contact me directly and I will be happy to speak with you regarding this matter.
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed at the Sonesta for 2 nights a couple weeks ago and it was beautiful. Before booking I was looking at different areas in Miami and am glad we found this gem in Coconut Grove. We stayed here for work and it was wonderful to be at walking distance to Cocowalk (shops & restaurants).

The staff is here is wonderful and friendly - and extremely helpful. Check in was a breeze and the front desk attendant (Adrian) was so welcoming. I was upgraded from a Superior Bay View Room to a Deluxe Bay View room. I believe the only difference was it was a bit larger and it had a balcony. The rooms are a bit small, but for a 2 night business trip it was okay. The beds were very comfortable and had large feather down pillows (heavenly!).

The only complaint I have is that we brought some beers to drink by the pool at night after work (we do this a lot on business trips) and we were told we couldn't drink our drinks by the pool unless we purchased them from the bar. I've never experienced this from any hotel and I travel frequently. That was a bit of a let down as the rooms weren't big enough to entertain.

Asides from that, great hotel, great views, and wonderful service!

Room Tip: make sure to get a bay view - the view is worth it!