“Love the location, nice staff and the views” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
25% off room rate
Ranked #35 of 113 Hotels in Miami
Santa Rosa, California
“Love the location, nice staff and the views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I've stayed here once for business in March 2012, and I'll be going back again this fall. The front entrance is small, so getting into the valet (and lines) can be a little tricky, but there is a spacious parking garage at the hotel where guests cars are kept. The lobby is modern, minimal and elegant. Staffers were great. My room was modern and clean and the balcony was awesome. Pay for the bay view rooms. It's worth the extra cost.

I can't wait to try out the roof pool on my upcoming trip.

I absolutely love getting up in the morning at this place, looking out at the views of the Coconut Grove yacht club and Biscayne Bay, and then going on a walk down to Kennedy Park around the corner. I lived in Coconut Grove for a couple years in the 1990s, so the town has a special place in my heart.

There's a lot of traffic in general in Miami on Bayshore Drive heading north toward downtown, so it does take a little longer to get around town than it used to.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Vinovixen,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. We are always pleased when a former Grove resident returns for a visit and is able to enjoy the neighborhood. While much has changed since you lived here I am sure you will agree it is a great place with incredible views. We look forward to your return this fall.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We held a business meeting at the Sonesta for 3 days. The location is beautiful, Coconut Grove is one of the best spots in Miami. The hotel has been renovated and is just perfect.. The meetings rooms have a fantastic view and just the right size.
What is really outstanding in the Sonesta is the service The crew was so nice, so helpful. They bent backwards to make the group happy. They were always a step ahead and were ready to do whatever it took to make things happen effortlessly, smoothly. They all had a smile and absolute willingness and commitment to make our event a success. Thanks to Omar, Frank and their team on the ground we had a fantastic 3-day meeting, with all the participants wanting to come back for the next one as soon as possible. Both gentlemen made my job so easy and seamless. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear mexican-in-miami,
We are so pleased that your conference went so well and that your experience with our conference service team was magnificent! We appreciate your feedback and for recognizing our team. It was our pleasure serving your group and we look forward to your return.
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Rooms have a good size and we got one with a little kitchen however there is no real sitting area unless you sit outside on the balcony and the furniture start to show its age. What we did not like is the tricky pricing policy. They offer several discounted rates (10% for +55, 30% on stays of 3 days and more, special rate for Florida residents etc) but they always use a different base rate. An example shows the best available rate at $162 and the +55 rate also at $162 (where is the 10% discount?) and $153 for 3 days (they use a base rate of 240 and deduct 30%) and Floridians pay $143 (this incl. parking). So officially they show discounts but they charge all the same. On top of that they charge $23 daily for parking (plus tips for the valet parking attendants) but who gets there without a car? So it's more a place for business travelers who may not care about rates and charges as the company pays for it....

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mafioso,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We offer many different rates and packages on our website. Some rates include added value such as parking or breakfast while others offer discounts and upgrades on room categories. During periods of high demand there may also times when discounted rates will be limited or unavailable. We recommend that you check online at sonesta.com to review our different offers available for any date. We offer valet parking at $23 per night which is the lowest in the area. If you are travelling in a hybrid vehicle we provide complimentary valet parking. We hope that you enjoyed your stay and that you will return again for another visit.
Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Loved this Hotel and Staff! Everything was Perfect. My wife and I stayed for 2 nights and i can't put into words how Wonderful everything was. The Staff, Room, and View were Awesome. We will Definately Return Very Soon! I Highly Recommend staying here. Thank You! T Wall

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Tom W,
Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments about your experiences. We are pleased that everything was perfect for you and your wife. We look forward to your return.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Loved everything about this hotel in Coconut Grove. I stayed here for three weeks recently and didn't want to leave. Staff are wonderful especially Alex at the pool, he goes out of his way to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. The restaurant staff are wonderful to and food is good. You have a great selection of little restaurants within walking distance and the beaches are only 15 mins away. The suites have everything you need, a home away from home, I cant wait for my next visit. Whether on business or pleasure I cant recommend this hotel highly enough. Beds are te most comfortable I have ever slept in and housekeeping is top notch.

Room Tip: Had a wrap around balcony this is an added plus and also a bay view
Dear jesolodublin_10,
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and your feedback regarding your visit. I am pleased that the entire staff made your extended stay so pleasant. I will be sure to share your comments with them. We hope you will be back again soon.
Lambertville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Great Stay!

Recently, in Miami for a week of meetings (mostly in and around downtown, and the airport area), I booked in at the Coconut Grove Sonesta. It was my first-ever Sonesta experience, and from the start (just about everyone in the lobby, save for staffers, spoke varying languages, which to me sums up Miami’s charm just now), it was a perfect stay. Just fantastic.

Internet was free. I did valet park every day, and service was prompt. Staffers were responsive (there was some problem or another in my room and someone was there in five minutes to fix it). But the best two things about the Sonesta: One was the room itself. I adored it. It was the perfect hotel room. The bathroom had a great big soaking tub, there was a full kitchen (!) with every convenience I could think of, from brand new sponges to dishwasher soap to a mini-bar, not to mention a full-sized fridge, stove, over and microwave, well, big wow.

The room itself was big enough to have a dining table (that would also have made a great big desk if the one provided, which was a typical hotel desk, didn’t suit), a comfy easy chair, lovely, crisp linens, a big flat screen on the wall, and, the best part: A great balcony that overlooked (at least in my case) the south and west. So I got a view of the bay, beautiful, and then lots of green, via parks and even a ballfield which was fun.

There’s furniture on the balcony (not always a given). Negatives? The weather in late September/early October was disgusting, rained most evenings, and humid as all get-out, so I didn’t spend much time out there, but appreciated it nevertheless.

Didn’t have a meal in the restaurant, but did enjoy the pool on the 8th floor.

Coconut Grove is okay. A little downmarket, I guess, maybe not as interesting as Coral Gables in terms of quality of restaurants and street life, though there’s a fantastic book store and a lovely, lovely wine bar with tapas. Once you get a few blocks from the bay it gets less lovely (but isn’t that almost always the case in Miami?).

I was a little bit surprised at how few services there were for locals. I asked a shop-keeper if there was a place I could stock up on essentials (breakfast items, the occasional dinner I enjoyed immensely in my room), and she pointed me to a chain supermarket that was about “five blocks” on a very busy road with limited sidewalks. It was more like a couple of miles (I taxi’d back) and it wasn’t until the next day that the hotel told me about a better, more convenient market – Fresh Market – a few blocks from the hotel with lots of prepared food and also stuff if you wanted to cook. Better even than Whole Foods!

I was pleased at how convenient the hotel was even for meetings I had downtown, could literally zip down route one (or Bayshore Drive, even better). It took longer than I expected to get to my airport-area meetings but aside from staying at the airport, at the airport itself I think that’s just the way it is there.

I suggested to my husband that for the annual convention we attend in Miami Beach in March we might think about staying “off the beach” (which is overpriced and over-wrought in my opinion) and he disagrees because of the distance. He’s probably right. But I look forward to another chance to stay here….

PS One note. Not all rooms have kitchens, I upgraded to make sure I had one. So if that matters to you, make sure you look carefully at room options.

Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

A perfect location to chill in the Grove! We don't even rent a car for our stays there. Taxi to/from the airport $30 and then we just walk to the shops/restaurants. If you have a car it is $30 a day valet. As you walk into the lobby there is a "Miami" smell that gets you in the vacation mood immediately. We booked a one bedroom suite which was on a corner and had amazing views - the Bay on one side and the Grove on the other. The roof top restaurant was good (Peruvian food) and the pool area next to it was lovely. The staff were all helpful and friendly. Everything worked throughout the hotel. No complaints!

Room Tip: Corner suite with Bay and Grove view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Seeker21,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We agree that the Grove is a great place to “chill” and to get away for the weekend. Our suites offer great views and will make you feel right at home. We look forward to your next visit.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!