“Amazing service with an outstanding view” 4 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #32 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Oldsmar, FL
“Amazing service with an outstanding view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

There's no better location for enjoying a relaxing weekend in Coconut Grove. Attentive service personnel...valets, front desk, bar, restaurant, pool staff...all helpful, cheerful, and attentive.

We booked a one bedroom suite which was super-spacious and comfortable with an excellent view, full kitchen and in-room whirlpool. I would highly recommend spending the extra amount to really enjoy what the hotel has to offer.

Security is excellent, and there are always service personnel around. Amenities include an outstanding 8th floor pool, wonderful lounge chairs, top-notch restaurant, squash courts, and very extensive art collection throughout the hotel.

Furnishings were a bit worn, and the drapery is torn. The soap dish fell off the shower. No paper goods in the kitchen. All small negatives in comparison to the overall experience.

Room Tip: Get the suite...it's worth it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear tas10000,
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and your feedback about your experience. I am pleased that you enjoyed our 8th floor pool deck and Panorama restaurant as well as the amenities offered in our suites. Please accept my apologies for the maintenance issues in your room. We provide paper towels in our suites and kitchenettes but we will consider adding other paper products based on your suggestions. We hope you will be back again for another visit soon.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is in reference to the 3-day conference taking place a few days back.

When I think of professional service, my thoughts go to valet parking, lobby greeting people, Panorama Restaurant service (providing us with great daily breakfast food to start the day), dealings with general Hotel staff.

The Conference Room setup was very cozy, indeed. Everything was in place. Uninterrupted service was available. All food was served as good food should be, and lunch was always right on time. The Banquet Staff was very attentive and efficient, meeting and exceeding all requirements placed before them by myself and my colleagues.

I can think, in particular, of an individual who really made it happen for us ( Frank Ruiz ), who really ran the operation like military clockwork, continually busy as he was to keep everyone on his toes and your guests satisfied. I must say all requests of ours which were placed before him were met in due course, leading this writer and colleagues to enjoy a most pleasant time while staying behind closed doors.

I just wanted to thank you for the Hotel's outstanding performance during the Conference and for your presence of mind in hiring and maintaining individuals of Frank's caliber in your staff.

Natha

Room Tip: Take advantage of the great neighborhood restaurants and shopping venues within walking distance.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear NelsonD,
We appreciate your comments about your recent meeting held at our hotel. We are pleased that our banquet team was able to respond to all of your needs and we will be sure to share with them your feedback. Thank you for hosting your meeting with us and we look forward to next time.
Anderson, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

This hotel is in a great location and has an awesome view of the bay. The rooms are a little small and valet parking is $23 a night, unless you drive a hybrid, but the hotel is still an excellent value for the location and view. Our check-in process was horrible. We had to wait 30 minutes to get into our room after a long and very wet drive because of the nightly audit process the hotel uses. But, management responded quickly to our compliant and worked very diligently to smooth things over. Other than the check-in process, we have no complaints and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear GentryH,
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel for the delays at check-in on your arrival during our night audit process. We pride ourselves on anticipating our guest needs and this time we missed the mark. I am pleased that despite this misstep you were able to enjoy your stay. We hope that if your travels bring you back to Coconut Grove that we will have another opportunity to serve you.
Coral Gables, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked this hotel because it is right in the middle of Coconut Grove, one of my favorite old stomping grounds in the '70s and '80s. Service was excellent but a few of the ladies at the front desk were either having a bad week or they don't like their jobs, couldn't place it. If I had to guess, it would be that they don't like their jobs because they wouldn't even botger to smile back. When they did smile it was more of an obligated smirk.

I will point out that if you have a large vehicle full of luggage and kids, be prepared as this hotel was not well designed for that and 6 other cehicles waiting. We like to always park our car and we could not. I just don't like strangers driving my car...

The parking attendants are great and always attentive in spite of their working environment.

The 8th floor pool deck is great and the views are awesome as is the authentic Peruvian food, some items with a twist.

I will be back just because it is convenient and to try a different room since I'm sure there are several other configurations. It is a "Condotel" and those are usually odd in variations. I forgot to ask if all their units are tiled throughout - very cold!

• Stayed September 2012
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear CouponLockerDot,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel if our staff did not make you feel right at home. We strive to provide outstanding customer service and sometimes we fall short. Rest assured we will use your feedback to continue to improve. I am pleased that you enjoyed many areas of the hotel and that you will be back again to try another one of our room types. As mentioned we do have many types to choose from and I am sure we will have something to meet your needs. We look forward to your return.
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Recently returned from a trip to Key West and we stayed at the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel as a pitstop between Orlando and the Florida Keys. We arrived pretty late in the day, so it was nice to check in and relax. We walked around Coconut Grove and grabbed some dinner at the great restaurants nearby. The hotel itself was great. The staff was extremely friendly and so were the Valet attendants which is rare. We had a superior king room and it was pretty small. The bed was pretty comfortable. Not sure if it was just the noise from the outside, however we could hear everything that was going on outside our windows (we were on the 12th floor). Same thing happened early morning when they were cleaning something. It felt like the windows didn't have proper sound insulation.

Overall we had a great stay and would recommend to those looking for lodging in that area. There are plenty of other central hotels in Miami, but we picked this one as it had quick access to US 1 and the Turnpike.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear jgarcia83,
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for the feedback from your visit. I am pleased that you found our staff friendly from the moment you arrived at Valet. Our Superior rooms are our smallest room type but they are perfect for a quick visit. You can find a description with photos of all of our different room types available on our website. We hope the next time your travels bring you to Miami that you will stop for a visit.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Today I checked out of this great hotel,the experience was wonderful, i work on this industry and you become the worst guest when you stay in a hotel but today and I can say that this one was one of my best experience ever, thank you to the bellman staff that in the concierge absence they were amazing in all their recommendations ,the front desk girls besides their personality and great smile always attentive and there for every single guest........GREAT EXPERIENCE GREAT SERVICE GREAT HOTEL

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Michael K,
Thank you for your comments about the service you received during your stay. I am pleased that our Bellman and Front Desk team were able to provide you with great service and always a smile. We look forward to your return.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012 via mobile

I absolutely loved staying at the Sonesta this weekend. The room service was great and the girls at the front desk made everything very easy for me. This was my first time eating Peruvian food and the restaurant Panorama hooked me into loving it! The one thing I did not like however was the uncomfortable heat in the lobby. First I thought it was because it was too hot outside but all the other places I went to were very nice and cold. To be honest I tried to leave as soon as possible from the lobby to my room because it wouldn't cool me down from being outside. My kids and wife also felt uncomfortable in the lobby and my wife is someone to enjoy using her laplop in all hotel lobbies. Everything else, was absolutely great.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Bluelayette,
We are pleased that you had an outstanding stay at our hotel and enjoyed our Panorama Restaurant with its Peruvian specialties. We appreciate your feedback regarding your lobby experience. Our maintenance team has checked the air conditioning system to ensure that it is operating properly. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you soon.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!