“Unbelievable View.....” 5 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #24 of 130 hotels in Miami
Providence, Rhode Island
“Unbelievable View.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

UMIAMI Parents. We've stayed in the Coconut Grove area 4 times now over the past 2 years, and this was BY FAR the best hotel. Great Rate, Beautiful Hotel and Room. Valet was a little sleepy, but overall, I would DEFINITELY stay here next trip, which will be fairly soon.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear Gary M,
Thank you for choosing our hotel on your recent visit to Miami. We are pleased to be so close to the university and to have many of the student’s family’s stay with us. I have also shared your feedback with our Valet Manager so we can improve our service time. We look forward to your next stay.

866 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Spent 4 nights last week at this ,found the staff very helpful and sweat..The room was always cleaned but the balcony was never touched!The hotel is a bit far from anywhere ....any ride in a taxi would go to 20usd at least...and not much to do around the hotels area....the hotel is Ok.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors and make sure in is bayside!
Dear Amygirl666,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry that our location was not the best for your needs on your recent trip to Miami. We are located in the heart of Coconut Grove which is a short car/taxi ride from Miami Beach, Coral Gables and the airport. I am pleased that our staff was of assistance to you during your visit. We hope that if your travels bring you back to Coconut Grove that we can have another opportunity to make you feel at home.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was our second stay at the Sonesta, as we stay in the Grove to visit family frequently.

We used a travelocity deal, got a very good rate, and okayed the "city view" as opposed to the "bay view" and received room 1212-2, which was on the 12th floor, had spectacular views of the Grove, Coral Gables and beyond.

The room had a kitchen, with microwave and anything you'd need to heat up leftovers, etc. Last time, we had a very small room, so there are no guarantees.

It's convenient to stay here as you can walk to most retaurants in Coconut Grove - but this is NOT a beach location.

The cons:
Housekeeping takes a LONG time - it was about 2pm, and they still hand't arrived on day, so I finally called and asked them to come. They also don't refill toiletry items, so we had no shower gel for the last 2-3 days of our stay.

VERY loud club just below - and therefore a thumping until the wee hours of the morning can be heard as you toss and turn (I do not recall this from last time, so it's probably just due to Room 1212-2's location).

The pool is very nice (it's a wading pool, not a diving pool), but like many pools that are located up high, there is a significant breeze, which can be chilly - and knock over glasses, blow away napkins, etc.

Overall, nothing to complain about here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear crazytravelernyc,
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at our hotel. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. We make every effort to minimize the effects of the noise from the area restaurants and we are working directly with the City to solve these concerns. Your feedback helps us with these efforts. I have also reviewed your comments with our housekeeping manager so that we can continue to improve our housekeeping service. I am pleased that overall you had a positive experience and we hope will have another opportunity to serve you again.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed 2 fabulous nights at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove. Absolutely loved it! We got a fairly good rate from an online booking site for a standard room with bay view. This is one of the best views EVER. Truly. From the 9th floor, you see the Coconut Grove marina and small islands. Just enchanting and peaceful, hard to believe it's Miami. (And I love Miami.) We also overlooked the pool and jacuzzi and lounge area, very chic, very cool (on the 8th floor). One caveat: I don't think I'd stay at this Sonesta unless I had a water view. The room was perfectly nice, a little small, but nicely furnished with good amenities, a good mini bar, etc. But it was the view -- and the delicious salt water pool and the spa (from which you could enjoy a drink and water the water) that really made this one of my favorites stays ever. We ate dinner at the Panorama restaurant...fabulous. I had the fried seafood tower (which in retrospect could be split by 2 people, and make a great dinner with a shared salad) and my husband had the Loma (?) Steak, with fried plantains and black beans and rice. Oh, and octopus ceviche to start. Just a great meal, with yet again, a great view (inside this time, lots of AC so bring a wrap). The whole hotel felt well maintained and pleasant. We told the concierge a lightbulb was out and it as replaced when we returned. Housekeeping also good. The lobby smelled good. The location for the Grove is fantastic, and convenient to Key Biscayne. Would gladly stay there again! In fact, I plan on it!! (I now live in Miami and I'll do a weekend here in the future, it was that enjoyable.)

Room Tip: Get a room with a bay view. I enjoyed overlooking the pool -- in part because I don't like heigh...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear FlaTravlers,
We are very pleased that your loved your stay at our hotel. We agree with you that we have one of the best views in Miami. Our restaurant Panorama specializes in Peruvian cuisine and our chef’s lomo saltado is one of the most popular dishes we serve. We also have many different room types to choose from when making your reservations, including rooms with full kitchens if you need more space or like to create your own culinary dishes. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is my third or fourth visit to the hotel, and another coming up next month. It works perfectly for our family....two adults, one teen...now UM student. We love having a full size frig with an icemaker in the freezer.

Pros: Two BR suite is fabulous.
Nice sheets
Spacious
Panorama offers good room service
Lobby smells fabulous....you'll only get it if you've been there. Wish they bottle it.
Employees are all very helpful and accommodating. Only had one "iffy" encounter in my
visits and that was in the restaurant.
Convenient to UM, and with Coconut Grove being a student hangout, your student might
even come visit you at the hotel instead of vice versa.

Cons: Parking is pricey. Call ahead for your car or you might be late for an appt.
Draperies in the 2BR suites are literally in shreds in some places. Seriously Sonesta, if
you would just change these draperies things would be PERFECT. But I won't let it stop
me from staying.

Dear 3tonkies,
Thank you for staying with us again. I am pleased you had another enjoyable visit. Our two bedroom suites are very popular because of the space they provide our guests. We also have one bedroom suites that are spacious as well. I appreciate your feedback as it will help us to continue to improve our product. We look forward to your return.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I spent this past weekend at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove and it was amazing! The staff and service were wonderful. Next time I’m in town I will stay with them again. Excellent service, excellent view, and an all around great weekend.

Room Tip: I tend to be scared of heights, but you would be remised if you stayed below the 8th floor. Request...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SMJ615,
Thank you for staying with us recently. We appreciate your feedback about your experience and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. Our guest rooms begin on the 9th floor so all rooms have a nice view of the city or the bay. Simply let us know at the time of booking of any special floor request and we will do our very best to accommodate you. We hope to see you again soon.
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

You can not go wrong here. If we can not get our room here, we don't come to Miami. The service is the best. They make you feel like you are special.... Rock star special! Special thanks to Elizabeth Dubon, she always takes care of us. Alex @ the pool is always nice and is a good dude. You can tell he cares about the guests. Although Rosemary wasn't there this visit, we sure missed her smile upon arrival. There are also so many things to do in the grove. From food to shopping, it is all here. Also, coral gables, the miracle mile are all close, with more food and shopping. I guess the only complaint I have, is when we have to go home....... :(

Room Tip: Two bedroom palm suite..... The best view you can get in Miami....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Mojitomel,
Thank you for your comments about your stay! We are very pleased that you enjoy Coconut Grove and all it has to offer. We are glad that our team made such an impression on you and provided you with outstanding service. We are all looking forward to your next visit.
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!