“You can't rate them low for that?!?!?!” 4 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #30 of 129 Hotels in Miami
East Coast Florida
“You can't rate them low for that?!?!?!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

People drive me crazy rating a hotel low because of bad service at a restaurant in the hotel or rude housekeeping or stupid one off kind of situation that has no bearing on other travelers. But here's my two cents on Sonesta. I travel alot and got a great rate on travel website so I stayed there. Normally too expensive at regular rates. But nice boutique hotel, small rooms and great restaurant. TV was large flat mount with in-room movies (adult and pay per view), pool was nice (on the 7th floor- cool!) and restaurant was out of this world. Expensive but fantastic. great personal service and the manager was awesome. It was almost as if it was HIS restaurant. Clean room with awesome bed/bedding but definitely on the small side for a upscale hotel. I believe it was once a timeshare or condo's because of the size and layouts. Ask for a room with a view because they have incredible views of the water. Recommend it!

Room Tip: Located right next to marketplace with movies, restaurants and shops. Across from HUGE beautiful par...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear lodom,
Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your experience and we look forward to your next stay.
Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
San Jose
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

At first I was pleasantly suprised with this hotel's facilities since I always expect hotels in Coconut Grove to be very old and with poor maintenance. The buidling is very nice and there's this incredibly pleasant smell when you enter the front desk. The staff is kind of friendly and the service is prompt.
I was somewhat annoyed that there was no self parking and valet parking is $30 a day, very expensive for my taste.
The rooms are kind of old but with good maintenance and nicely decorated. The bed is really comfy and the pillows are to die for.
There are a lot of restaurants and shops near by that stay open late hours, which I found very convenient.
I also loved my early morning runs in Bayshore Dr. and this cute little park that has the loveliest view of the bay and a pillow soft running trail.
The big downside for me was that there was a inicident with one of my bags missing when the bellboy brought them up to my room when I checked in. They were very suspicious about it all the time and gave me no real answers. I made a security report and they told me they would get back to me with more information the next day. The whole day past and I called at night to follow up on the matter and they told me that the bag had just "appeared" at the front desk. I was puzzled but I picked up the bag and everything was ok, they gave me no answers to what had happened. During the rest of my stay I was very uneasy and careful not to leave anything out, not even clothes and I locked my suitcase at all times when out of the room.
Oh and by all means do not get sick and expect assistance from this hotel. One of my coworkers started feeling ill one night and we called the front desk to get a doctor or someone to check her blood presure and they told us that it would be $2000!!!! I thought that was completely outrageous. I decided to just take my friend to a Walgreens to get her BP checked, and luckly it turned out to be just an allergic reaction.

Dear traveler1007,
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize if we did not provide more details regarding your missing Gap shopping bag. It was found on the floor in front of the desk and once discovered was placed in lost and found. Unfortunately the night Security does not have access to lost and found but based on your feedback it is something we are considering. Like most hotels, we do not have a hotel doctor on property so we can only refer guest to a private doctor service or contact Fire Rescue if they are feeling ill and need someone to come to the hotel. We hope that your overall experience at our hotel was enjoyable and we also hope to see you again if your travels bring you to Miami.
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel is half a block from Coco Walk, where there are a lot of little shops and restaurants. The hotel itself is very modern and touts a small art collection. Across the street from the hotel, there is a neat little park and walking path around the bay that is a great option to a morning workout in the hotel gym.

I stayed in a standard king bed room recently and found the room to be decent size, but very low on the natural light scale. There was only a small balcony with a standard size glass door that allowed only a small amount of light into the room. However, the room faced the bay and the view was outstanding.

Bathroom was decent and for some reason there was a large, deep cabinet in the bathroom. It didn't have anything in it, but it was large. Shower was normal, and the towels were large and soft.

The bed was very comfortable and had just the right firm to pillow-top softness ratio, but the pillows... the pillows are what made this hotel for me! Most hotel pillows are way too firm and fat and it's rare that I am able to sleep. But the pillows at the Soneseta were perfect. A mix of firmness was provided with about 6 total pillows to choose from, but my favorite are the soft, downy pillows. I slept better than at most other hotels.

Valet is $23 per day. I stayed for 2 days, but was only charged for 1 day because they don't rollover into the new day until 4 pm. It's cheaper to opt for the valet than the self-park next door, which is $30 a day.

Room Tip: Reserve a room on a high floor facing the bay.
Dear Whaltar,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at our hotel. We are pleased that you had a great night’s sleep and enjoyed our selection of pillows. Next time you are here, stop by the front desk for a brochure of our artwork and feel free to take a “museum” walk around the property. We hope to see you soon.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Extremely well located in the heart of Coconut Grove / Quiet / Spacious accommodations with breathtaking views / The Sonesta team always helpful... Been there many times despite other recommendations, and will continue... Highly recommended.All restaurants are a short walking distance as is the mall.

Dear Pierre D,
Thank you for your confidence in us and for being one of our repeat guests. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Our waiter Remy Brutus was wonderful, if you ever eat there ask for him. He gave wonderful recommendations and was very accommodating. The food was amazing I recommend all the appetizers especially the shrimp tempura and the parmesan scallops and of course the ceviche was so fresh and delicious!!

Room Tip: Bay front view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Shaefer W,
Thank you for your great comments about our Panorama Restaurant and our waiter Remy. He is looking forward to your next visit so he can recommend more great food to you.
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I've been to this Sonesta more than 5 times over the last years (I have friends nearby) but last visit was such a disappointment that I am not coming back. I have paid almost USD 400 a night for a one-bedroom suite that had ripped curtains, chipped furniture and even though towels and sheets were clean the overall feeling of the room was not what I expected for that price. It's definitely going downhill.

I am not someone that likes writing bad reviews and I have struggled to post this one because my other visits to the Sonesta were, in fact, good enough for me to oversee some small flaws. Flaws are not small anymore... that's why I finally decided to write.

Bell captain and valet parking guys were as always great but this did not compensate the front desk attitude. Besides the lack of a smile, my husband and I were denied a late check out (that we indicated that we were willing to pay for) because they were completely full.

Full? How was it possible when I was able to make a reservation for that extended day on their own web site???!!!

After that, I was so disappointed that decided to leave the hotel and next time I am in Miami (in fact, next month) I am NOT coming back to the Sonesta.

Thank you Tripadvisor for making us smarter travellers that know how to gather information and better analyze what is being said and offered to us.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear DriCa_Sp,
Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel that your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations. We make every effort to accommodate request for late checkouts, however due to the arrival of other guests into a particular type of room we are always able to do so. We appreciate your feedback as it assists us improving our service. We hope we will have another opportunity to serve you in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

We came to Miami with our little lady a year old. We stay in a deluxe room with two bedrooms in it was just perfect for us. Reviews are quite accurate for this hotel it deserves the high score.
The Hotel suroundings are very relaxing for walking. Nice restaurant an some shops. It is not noisy and crazy as miami beach, that is why we actually enjoyed.
Highly recommended.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear quimbayo,
Thank you for your recent review and recommendation of our hotel. We appreciate the feedback of all of our guests and we are pleased that we met your expectations. Come back soon for another visit!
Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!