“Beware-don't use Hotwire or stay at this hotel” 2 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free breakfast & parking!
Ranked #31 of 129 Hotels in Miami
atlanta, ga
“Beware-don't use Hotwire or stay at this hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Booked thru Hotwire and got a closet sized room. Front desk advised that Hotwire cointracts for "standard" rooms, a category exclusive to Hotwire and not sold by the hotel to the general public. So the Hotwire claim of 4 stars is totally bogus, when you consider the mini size room with just a tiny corner window. The hotel is okay, but not 4 stars, ever. Lobby is tiny, made for the condo bldg it is. As for the hotel, does it care about its guests or the cash, when they let Hotwire (and who knows what other bookers) sell grossly inferior rooms as 4 star?

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, February 19, 2012
Dear Jeff f,

Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. I am disappointed that your room accommodations did not meet your expectations. We do offer special rates on Hotwire to sell our last minute inventory which may be for a limited room category. All of our room categories are available to view and book on our website at Sonesta.com. We recommend our guest visit the site for complete descriptions and photos of all our room categories including our superior room category.

Please accept my apologies that your accommodations were less than perfect and for any inconveniences this may have caused. If your travels bring you back to the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel, please let me know and we will make certain to have a great room waiting for you.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise at the Sonesta Bayfront and the entire experience was excellent. We just wanted to relax and get over our jet lag and we couldn't have asked for better. Our room was large and spacious with a kitchenette, which apart from the coffee machine we didn't make use of. We had a side sea view from our balcony.

The 8th floor pool area was very chic with comfortable sun loungers and other seating and the drinks service was very good.

We loved the shopping area which was so close to the hotel and we went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner both nights as the range, quality and prioce of food was great.

Next time we are in the Miami area we will go back to the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, February 18, 2012
Dear Carol2,

Thank you for staying at the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel. We appreciate the feedback and comments on your recent stay. We are pleased that we were able to provide you a restful location as a pre cruise destination. We are only 7 miles from the Port of Miami, one of the cruise capitals of the world but far enough away to extend your holiday. We look forward to seeing you prior to your next cruise.

Rhinebeck, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

I am a frequent traveler. At one point I traveled so much that I wasn't sure that I even had a home base anymore that wasn't an airport. I've stayed at so many different hotels, mostly 4 and 5 star places and my level of expectation is high, while still appreciating someplace that is not overly done to the point of tasteless and extreme.

My many visits to the Sonesta have left me now completely spoiled. And not nessecarily by the decor, it's simple, modern and understated, but by the staff.

It could be 6 months between my trips to the Sonesta and they still remember me by name, they remember what it is I like to drink while at the pool, my seating preference while dining, and my preference for suites, as well as how much I enjoy their in room massages.

Now, the really good stuff.... something I highly recommend. If you can, take advantage of their private dining on the beach. It is beyond romantic and the staff have it down to perfection. The delicate rose petals gracing the ground..... the dinner delivered to your table by the staff, unobtrusively, quietly bringing you exactly what you need, but never hovering too close..... the candles lit everywhere..... you can't help bu feel like their most important guest and like you are of celebrity status..... and that goes for the entire trip.

No, it's not the Breakers, with an old world elegance (something that I do enjoy) but there is just something about this hotel that while large, gives it a very personal feel..... and do try the in room massage if you can, there is something just so relaxing about getting a massage while looking out of your suites windows down to the ocean while listening to the breaking waves.....

I can't say anything else about this hotel except that I highly recommend it on every level.

Room Tip: Get a suite with a view of the ocean. Not to be missed.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear J.G.,

Thank you for your recent comments about your stay at Sonesta. We are pleased that we have the opportunity to spoil all of our guests and make their stay enjoyable. As you mentioned we have a simple yet modern décor which is enhanced by our collection of art and the artistic neighborhood that surrounds us.

You are not alone many of our guest remember the incredible dinner on the beach experience that was offered at our property on Key Biscayne. Today we offer a different type of dinning experience from our 8th floor Panorama Restaurant. In addition to the incredible Peruvian inspired menu we have the best Bayfront view in the city with the same attentive staff to make you feel like you are dinning among the stars.

We are pleased that you think of us as a home base when you travel to Miami and we look forward to your next visit.

East Greenwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed here for an extended period of time and found the room to be extremely clean, spacious, and with a lovely view of the bay. It is a bit noisy during the day, because it's on a busy street, but by sleepytime it's nice and quiet. It's within walking distance to a shopping center with a Gap, other clothing stores, a cell phone store, live music, eateries and a multiplex movie theater. Our travel agent got us a 50% discount on the rooms and a free self-parking pass. I would negotiate the room rate because the full price is high. Definitely use self-parking. It's quicker and easier than valet. The staff is very pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed the restaurant, also. The Peruvian Caesar salad with an entire NY strip steak was my favorite and my husband liked the ceviches.

Room Tip: Use self-parking. Also, don't hesitate to ask the staff for anything, like maid service, etc...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JoanneRI,

Thank you for staying at our hotel. We are pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Coconut Grove. We agree that we have a great location with lots of things to do and see within walking distance. We hope that whenever your travels bring you to Miami, you will return for a visit.

Coral Gables, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

My in-laws stayed here for a week over Christmas. They were in love. Every day all we heard about was the great service and staff at Sonesta. They are already going to book a trip back in March. The rooms are very spacious and have beautiful views of the bay. The restaurant, Panorama is one of our all time favorite restaurants in all of Miami. The location is perfect to walk to everything in the Grove. The valet guys were very friendly towards us every day several times a day coming to pick them up. They never gave us any hassle like most places would. Overall, they were extremely pleased.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Pagetravelers,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased that our Panorama Restaurant’s is one of your favorites in Miami. We are proud that we have won Best Taste of the Grove for four consecutive years. I will pass your comments on to our Food and Beverage team as well as the rest of our staff.

We look forward to your return in March!

Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

I travel a lot and it's hard to find a place that is all around right as the Sonesta is. The place is clean, beautiful facilities, has all the luxuries of a big hotel but the people are nice, polite and warm as in a little family owned b&b. From the recepcionists, to the security guards and the people at the pool... everybody is trully putting effort so that you have the best experience. The restaurant at the pool is amazing and there is a waiter called Diego that will bring you everything you want before you even know you want it!

Room Tip: Get bayview! It's worth it!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Carol123321,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. We are pleased to learn that your stay was “Just Perfect”. I am happy that our staff provided you friendly service that made you feel right at home. We look forward to your next visit.

Overland Park, Kansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I've been to the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel for group meetings twice now and I'm looking forward to my upcoming trip. The hotel is clean, which is a priority for me. The service is excellent - there is clearly a focus on making the guests comfortable. Room service is very good, as is the food served at our meeting - all of which comes from their restaurant. While it's true that this hotel isn't brand new or what I would call super fancy (I have pretty high standards), I've chosen to return twice now. The beds are comfortable, the water pressure is good, the view is very pretty and the location is great. Logistics info: FLL airport is a 30 minute drive (pay for the sun pass that lets you use the express lanes).

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet room, make sure you ask for an ocean view. On my first trip I had a...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
MargaretRose_CG, Manager at Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Npiskuric,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel. We are very pleased that we have been able to provide you with an experience that makes you want to return. I will be sure to share your comments with our staff and we hope to see you soon.

Director of Operations

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!