“WONDERFUL HOTEL!” 5 of 5 stars

Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2889 McFarlane Road, Miami, FL 33133 (Coconut Grove)   |
Hotel packages
Special Price
25% Off 2 or More Nights!
Ranked #33 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Buffalo, New York
“WONDERFUL HOTEL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

The Sonesta Bayfront Hotel Coconut Grove is an elegant hotel in a great setting. It has views of lovely Sailboat Bay and is less than a block from the lively village of Coconut Grove. The area within a short walk offers many restaurants and shops, movie theatres, and beautiful parks and tropical gardens. The service in the hotel is excellent; the staff are extremely courteous and friendly. The restaurant in the hotel offers delicious food at very reasonable prices. The outdoor pool is on the eighth floor with magnificent views. Many (if not all) of the rooms have kitchen areas, including minimally a sink and microwave oven. All in all, the Sonesta Bayfront Hotel Coconut Grove is our favorite hotel for relaxation and fun. We especially enjoy waking up in a bay view room, walking along the marina, swimming and sunning, and strolling through Coconut Grove.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Quito, Ecuador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I stayed at Sonesta on a two night stopover en route to Ecuador from the UK. The location is a nice place to hang out for a day - its a smart and safe area with plenty of cafes and a good variety of shops. There's also parks and marinas to wander about in. I got to and from the airport using the super shuttle service at $16 each way. Not that simple to get to areas like Miami Beach by public transport so I didn't end up going.

The room was on the 18th floor, spacious, with a kitchen area and a small balcony overlooking the bay. The best rooms face square onto the bay but judging from the floor plan these are the larger suites. Bed was very comfortable. Big wide bath and powerful shower. Whole place was very clean and up to date. Wifi worked well.

Hotel were OK with a slightly extended checkout and didn't charge me. Most other things were chargeable. Minibar expensive as in most big hotels why - $6 for a bottle of water ? - but plenty of better value in the neighbourhood.

Staff were very helpful and good natured throughout my short stay.

I'd stay here again if going through Miami.

Room Tip: Bay view rooms may only have a partial bay view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

The location of this hotel in the heart of Coconut Grove is absolutely perfect. You can walk to a myriad of stores and restaurants and are right next to biscayne bay, with almost all rooms having a view of the gorgeous bay, the sailboats, Key Biscayne and downtown Miami. The decor of the hotel and the rooms are so much nicer and classier than any of the other hotels in the area. The employees are incredibly friendly and provide excellent customer service. The 8th floor pool is fantastic with one of the best views of Biscayne Bay and Miami that I've ever seen, and I grew up there! There is also a very complete gym on the top level of the hotel that also has incredible views of Miami, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables and Biscayne Bay. Overall, this hotel is superb and is always my first choice of places to stay when I visit Miami for business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

A last minute getaway for Fathers Day weekend was terrific. The hotel is located one block from the center of just about everything in Coconut Grove. The service really was exceptional, led by an unassuming young man, Alex Dubon, at the eighth floor pool that overlooks the bay. From the moment we entered his domain to the minute we left he watched like an eagle to make sure everyone was comfortable.
Valet, front desk and room staff treated us kindly. Would go back often!

Room Tip: Ask for a Bayview
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Everything was the best, as always. We have been coming down for years. I do not like to stay anywhere else in Miami. Everyone is very nice and helpful. It is nice to see the same people there, that I have seen for years. That say something about the Sonesta! We are coming down Sept.15th....and we can't wait. May come for a weekend in August.
Special thanks to Elizabeth in reservations, she is amazing........

Room Tip: palm Suite
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

From the moment the bellman opened the door, the service was impeccable. Check-in was simple as was asking for a late check-out becuase of our evening flight. Only positive things can be said about our experience and I would caution anyone who gives this hotel a bad review. We had reservations at Sofitel Miami and cancelled them after walking in the front door - no one helped us, the place looked untidy and service there was awful. Sonesta Bayfront is located in a great area - lots of shops, restaurants, etc.- while also being accessible to Miami Beach, Coral Gables, and even those who want to drive to Fort Lauderdale will find it easy to map. Definitely 4 stars for our visit... we look forward to our next trip to Miami!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

I have to tell you how pleased I have been to stay at the Sonesta in Coconut Grove. The week prior I stayed at another "4 Star" Coconut Grove Hotel and was completely horrified of the conditions, walking into the Sonesta was a breath of fresh air, literally!

My first impression was truly the fresh clean fragrance of the lobby. But it went further than that. Everywhere I look actually sparkled. It was truly clean. Let me say also that I am often easily overcome and put off by strong perfumes and fragrances; this was not the case here. The aroma was soft, pleasant, and welcoming.

As I exited the shuttle and entered the lobby, I was greeted by every hotel employee in manner that seemed natural and friendly. The front desk staff was welcoming and efficient. Throughout my 2 week stay, I was greeted on all occasions be each and every hotel employee I came across with a friendly smile, some kind of “hello”, and if time allowed brief conversation. Genuine hospitality and friendliness are valuable commodities in customer service and the Sonesta has clearly trained and hired the right people. This is the same quality our company looks for in hiring our own employees.

For me, the most pleasant part of the experience was the cleanliness of the hotel. As I said, the week prior to staying at the Sonesta I was booked at another “4 star” hotel just a few blocks away. At first look I was impressed, but then I took a second look and it was really dirty. One walk from the bed to the shower and my feet were black. Even after asking for a re-cleaning of the floors there was no improvement and the same filth laid in the corners. Here at the Sonesta however, my room was immaculate! Trust me, upon entering the room I checked it out. Every corner was clean; the tiled floor in the bathroom was clean into the corners and under the counter. The shower and shower curtain were clean and not a single remnant of hair from a past visitor.

If you stay at many hotels, you know there is a common “hotel smell” to the bath towels. Not so at the Sonesta. They were as fresh and clean smelling as if my wife had washed them in our own home washer and dryer. The service throughout my two week stay was first quality.

Beyond this, the restaurant, pool, fitness center, and other amenities are tremendous.

All these things add up to great leadership on the part of the managerial staff. Thank you for making my stay, feel like a stay at home. I offer you my compliments in regard to the sales department for their attentive and professional assistance in rebooking me and for providing information for our company’s use for future visits. If I were asked to rate the Sonesta, it would clearly earn 5 Stars!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sonesta Coconut Grove Miami? Share your experiences!