“Elegant retreat from south beach scene” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #4 of 113 Hotels in Miami
Robbinsville, New Jersey
“Elegant retreat from south beach scene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

If you are looking for a sophisticated hotel with world class service, a top rated restaurant and spa/pool to relax...look no further! Even with the substantial road construction currently taking place in downtown Miami, this hotel is Worth it!! My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and found the location perfect (it's about 15-20 minutes. Drive to south beach...depending on bridge traffic). The mandarin oriental is a world class hotel chain and this location does not disappoint. It's a quiet property, but has all the elementsyoy would want for relaxation or romance (and was well suited for business travelers as well...there is a lovely restaurant scene just a few minutes drive/ or 20 min stroll away).

• Stayed February 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

Rooms are nice sized & bathrooms are spacious & definite feeling of luxury. Quiet & did not hear any noise from neighbors. Hotel gym is not large, however, was never crowded when I was there. Hotel staff is superb - very accomodating & attentive. Love that bellmen & front desk always offer bottled water (personal pet peeve of paying for water). Food at the hotel is excellent - although I did think breakfast was overpriced. Thought dinner prices were more reasonable for high quality meal. Balconies are not large, however, can be outside & enjoy view of water which is always a plus for me.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Have Stayed here for years on Business/pleasure.
Have traveled around the world and nothing beats
this place in Beauty of the rooms with Balconies, Service - great folks-
Food and Spa - simply continuously the best.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

This is an excellent urban resort. This property has large, sleek rooms, beautiful views, excellent service and top-notch facilities.

We had a Deluxe Bay View Room. It is worth paying the extra money for the bay view, as opposed to the Deluxe Skyline View rooms. The Deluxe Skyline View rooms look out over the bridge that connects Brickell Key, the island on which the MO is located, to downtown Miami, and as a result, you are exposed to the attendant traffic noise when sitting on your balcony. Deluxe Bay View rooms are further from the bridge and provide better views of the Biscayne Bay. The higher the room number (i.e., Room 1717 has better views than Room 1711), the better the view.

The rooms have been recently revamped and are in like-new condition. They are spacious with the all the modern conveniences and luxuries, including large Sharp Aquos flat screen TV, Denon iPod dock, multiple phones, plenty of storage space and separate tub/shower/water closet. The rooms have a Asian design aesthetic, which is consistent with the feel of the MO generally. The only gripe I have about the rooms is that the bathroom offered a one sink vanity and lacked sufficient storage/counter space for two people.

We traveled with an infant, and the hotel set up, as we had requested, a crib, mini-fridge and microwave, all at no cost and with no fuss.

The pool area is plenty spacious and the pool, despite what some reviewers have said, is sufficiently big to accomodate all types of guests. The views from the pool are are nice, but the view from the "beach" are even better. We preferred the beach area because we found the sun loungers to be more comfortable, and there was generally more space to move about. Service at both the pool area and beach was friendly and efficient, with good food and drink service.

The gym at the hotel appeared to have almost new equipment--the cardio machines all had TVs and the weight machines were in great shape. The gym is constantly cleaned and refreshed, and offered complimentary scented towels, hand fruit, newspapers , headphones and bottled water. The gym also happens to look out over the baby, which is a nice change from the many subterrenean gyms that I have visited.

Brickell Key is a nice place for families, offering a 1.5 mile jogging/walking path free of cars that is great for pushing the stoller and enjoying the weather. There is even a grass field and playground--try finding that so close to a 5-star hotel in South Beach.

We ordered a number of room service meals and the quality of the food was uniformly excellent, the value propisition reasonably good and the service exceptional. The service generally was outstanding, from the valet and bellhops to the concierge and front desk staff.

My wife had a treatment at the spa and was very impressed. The hotel offers complimentary access to the spa facilities for hotel guests, a policy that I applaud. Hotels that charge guests to access the spa facilities cheapen the overall experience. The locker rooms offer a steam and sauna as well as an experience shower. I found the spa facilities to be perfectly adequate, but not exceptional in any real way. There is no comparison to, for instance, the spa facilities at the Landmark MO in Hong Kong or the Ojai Resort and Spa. I found that they could have tended to the locker rooms a bit more than they did--in the afternoon, there were many dirty towels scattered about and things were generally askew.

All in all, this MO meets the standard set by other MOs where we have stayed, including the Oriental in Bangkok and the Landmark MO in Hong Kong. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

My daughter gave us a weekend and dinner at this awesome hotel. We arrived at a busy time, so we checked in and was escorted to the elevator within five minutes. When we opened the door, we found a heart made of rose petals on the bed and a smartly decorated room. The wrap-around balcony allowed for views of the city and Bay. It was love at first sight. If you are traveling with a spouse or partner, you might like the view of the bath from the bedroom.

We had the tasting menu at Azul that night for our anniversary. The food was excellent.
I don't eat much Asian or Med inspired food, so the tasting menu was ideal for us. You can pay a little more and have it paired with wine. The Sommelier there is great and will suggest the wine to make your dining a pleasure. He suggested a champagne for our toast that we normally don't select. Yes, the tab and tip was more than I normally pay,
but the experience was worth the extra expense. It is definitely a special occasion restaurant, if you are on a budget.

We then spent time in the lounge listening to live music. The area is tastefully appointed and it gives you a calming, zen feeling. This weekend was the most relaxing hotel stay that I can remember. When we returned to our room, we found chocolate-covered
strawberries and our bed turned down for a relaxing evening.

The breakfast on Sunday in the casual restaurant offered menu items and a buffet choice.
The buffet offered assorted breads, waffles, pancakes, eggs benedict, bacon, eggs,etc.
I would have preferred a good egg white omelet. On Monday morning we ordered off the menu, because the offered a Continental Breakfast Buffet. The Cuban Omelet was great.

The food is great and expensive compared to hotels where I normally stay. We walked across the bridge to another hotel to compare prices and decided we would rather eat
at our hotel. The pool and service was great. We ordered Mojitos and shrimp wraps that were very tasty. We had Kobe beef burgers for dinner in the casual dining restaurant.

I have not figured out the beach without being able to go into the water, but I enjoyed
a swing or two in the hammock. There's cabanas, and lounge chairs available for guest, as well.

Despite losing a small bag between South Beach and Mandarin Oriental, I had such a great time that I didn't worry that the bag was missing. The bag was not found but the clerk took my info in case someone found it. Can you believe that I order lunch to go?
The homemade chocolate from the restaurant went on to South Beach with me, too.

I am a fussy traveler, who selects 4-Star hotels and find it difficult to sleep in most of them
This was a 5-Star experience. Thanks MO for my best anniversary experience!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

i actually stayed here two years ago as part of a holiday retreat. the service and the facilities were great. my main complaint is that the actual hotel rooms were much less than what i would have expected for the prices we were paying. our room needed some upgrading. the tv was old and not even a flat screen. the room need to be re carpeted. also, this hotel is quite a distance away from miami downtown/beach so there wasn't much to do outside of the organized events held by my company. overall great hotel for the service, but plenty of other options in miami to choose from where your money will be better spent.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

This was my 4th visit to Mandarin Oriental and every time I arrive , I feel right at home...The aroma of the lobby smells like a spa and the incense burning smells like you have arrived at some exotic land...Brickell Key is a peaceful and beautiful location away fromt he hustle and bustle...The pool is just the right size, the new lounge chairs are beautiful, and comfortable, the rcently redone beach is also beautiful...In my opinion the entire hotel is absolutely perfect...When I arrive there is always someone there to welcome me at the valet area, the bellman and doorman remember me from 7 months ago and some by name which is quite impressive...The front desk staff treats me with the utmost respect and kindness and as if I am the most important client ever...The pool staff are great with an amazing menu of healthy cuisine and the best sushi ever delivered to your pool lounge...During the day they also come around with toothoics filled with berries and fruit...also they will have smoothie samples in cute little tulip cups on a stem as a sample and refreshment...not a trick is missed at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Pool. Both restaurants at the hotel are the best ever Azul and Cafe Sambal never dissapoint on service and or taste and quality of pool....The seafood is my favorite at Azul and the desserts....at Cafe Sambal the sushi is fantastic along with an eclectic menu...

The rooms are spacious and luxurious and so comfortable the beds are great, the bathrooms are large...the amenities are great..I have nothing to say but wonderful things about the accomodations at the Mandarin Oriental Miami aka MOMIA

The spa was recently redone and one of my favorite parts of the hotel...do not miss out on a wonderful treatment in the spa at the MOMIA...it is the best...a great new shower which is all computerized in the spa area is not to be missed never had a shower quite like this..

anyway...this is a wonderful place to escape to in the Miami area...you can just relax and spend the whole weekend at this location without going anywhere else...there is beautiful scenery and skylines and walking areas...LOVE IT...nothing is better and cannot wait to go back

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Coconut Grove
Viceroy Miami
Viceroy Miami
#14 of 113 in Miami
4.0 of 5 stars 1,104 reviews

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!