“Beautiful Hotel on the water.” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #9 of 129 Hotels in Miami
New York City, New York
“Beautiful Hotel on the water.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

This is an excellent 5 star hotel near downtown Miami. It's on a small island connected to downtown, but it feels safe and the entire island is made up of high end properties.

The hotel room that we had was very large, clean and plush. We also had a balcony with a really nice view of Miami on a high floor. This was really romantic with my wife since we were on our honeymoon. We loved every moment at this hotel.
The pricing is very affordable in the summer. The staff was excellent.

We had dinner at Azul and the view was perfect. The food and service was excellent, and of course it was expensive.

South Beach and American Airlines Arena is very close by, but you will need a car. The Bayside marketplace is also a good place to visit.

Overall, this is a great 5 star with an excellent location. Quieter than staying at South Beach, but close enough to all the fun places.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Bratislava
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2010

And they were deceived....
We picked the Mandarin in Miami because we had a great experience in Singapore and because of the impression of quiet and cosiness.
Overall, it is a Mandarin, but nothing like what we have experienced elsewhere. Cleanliness and staff service are very high quality. Our room was upgraded, but it was nothing exceptional, so I wonder what a standard room is like. They have a very convenient dock for connecting to the audio-video system, and the bathroom is great. But there is limited space for storing luggage in the room, so it get crammed if you have more than two pieces. It is also surprising that in an international hotel chain, plugs are US standard only and they don't have the multi-system plugs...
But the biggest deceptions are the following:
1 - The website indicates there's a private beach, well it's just some sand with long chairs. Don't think you can swim and enjoy a relaxing retreat.
2 - Breakfast buffet is only cold cuts, cheese, fruits and cereals. It's a small, sad table compared to the extravaganza of other Mandarins.
3 - Internet is not complimentary, and it is quite expensive too, 15$/day.

All in all, we were so disappointed with our stay that we decided to cut it short and spend only one night there. The Mandarin is still an interesting hotel to stay at, perhaps with more realistic expectations you wouldn't be disappointed. This is a good hotel for business travelers, as it is very close to the financial district and there's not a grocery store around if you wanted to buy anything.

• Stayed August 2010
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

This is an expensive hotel with an OK location and subpar service. This was a business meeting I organized and ran with 25 colleagues. Upon checking in at 3:30 pm on a Thursday I was told the room was not ready (did not become ready until 5 pm) I was given a room facing the city. I requested a room with an bay view and was told that it would be a $25 surcharge. She must have read the expression on my face and quickly disappeared coming back 2 minutes later to proudly tell me that the manager comped it for me. Bless her but if I were at the Ritz Carlton I'd been given a suite without ever asking. When we entered the room i found that the balcony the so much spoke about could only seat one person. My wife called the front desk and managed to movevus to a different room. All was fine until 1:00 am when a group of South American teenagers on the next floor had their music so loud that the walls were vibrating. It took half hour to get that under control but it was the same story the following night.
The conference room the next day way uncomfortably warm before 25 people entered it. The thermostat could only be operated by engineering which took half hour to show and an hour to cool the room. The restaurants were marginal, not terribly clean and the staff left a lot to be desired. To top it off, while attempting to have a quiet breakfast on the terrace on a Saturday morning, there were workmen running power tools nearby. That on top of the boom box through the night was a bit much. At 1:00 pm web thought we'd take a break by the pool. No space was available and there was water spilling from the pool all over the deck. Again if this were the Ritz, ten attendants would be working on the problem. We went to their "beach club" which is a half acre of man made beach withnnice lounge chairs and 4 cabanas. It was mostly empty. I asked for an umbrella but could not have one because it was broken. The other two were in use. Are you serious? All 4 cabanas were empty and available. I asked, and was told that I can have one for $150 for half day ($250 full day) but that includes a fruit platter and two bottles of water. I thought of offering $50 sans fruit and water but I knew the answer. Mercifully it started to rain and we left. This is almost comical and could be enjoyable if it were not the Mandarin. We later went by the pool and managed to get two chairs under an umbrella. Within 10 min a South Florida rain storm was passing over and we were thoroughly enjoying it under the umbrella, when the pool staff lowered the umbrella exposing us to the rain. I asked why, he said he had to. Who runs this joke of a place?

But it is, so I have no sense of humor left. Unfortunately, we have one more night here and I am not holding my breath for an improvement. I'll be happy if someone locked the kid with the boombox in a storage room so we could get some sleep.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
MiamiBest, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor.

We sincerely apologize for the unacceptable experiences you encountered during your visit.

I will address the lapses in service you described with the department managers and take corrective measures to ensure these incidents do not repeat themselves.

I hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate to you the true standards of service Mandarin Oriental is known for.

Again my apologies for the disappointing stay and hope we can turn this around on your next visit.

Jorge Gonzalez
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

I loved this hotel! We had a corner suite with two balconies on the 2nd to top floor and the view was absolutely beautiful. We stayed here for my husband's 30th birthday celebration and are happy we choose this hotel and location (and not South Beach!). The lobby smells of incense when you walk in and every staff memeber was very friendly and helpful. Our pre-ordered and timed room service came at the exact time earlier specified and they left my hubby a sweet birthday card. :)
Loved it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

My second stay at the Miami Mandarin, first time for business. Once again, the class of this chain shines with impeccable and friendly service, from the car jockeys to the front desk, cleaning staff and restaurant staff. The rooms are large, bright and celan. The beds are comfortable, the view of the water lovely, bathrooms well equipped and luxurious. The pool area is lovely, although the music could be more modern for my taste. The gym is well equipped with lovely fruit and spring water available free of charge. Restaurant food great, either at the low key Sambal or the high end Azul (where the beautiful people hang). If you want to go to south beach, it's a $30 cab ride away and well worth the night life. But if you must stay in downtown Miami for business, all in all, it's a great place to stay and worth the price

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

In regards to the management's response to my husband's post, I must ask the manager to take another look at how the situation was handled. After the incident had occurred, I continually had to call security, as no one was following up with us on what was being done. We asked them to file a report with the police, which they agreed to. 15 minutes later, a security guard came to our room to have us fill out a report and asked us if we wanted to call the police. Confused because I thought this had already been done, I said yes and that we already made the request. 30 minutes later, I called security to see if there were any updates; the man said no but asked if wanted to file a report with the police. At this point, I could see we were getting nowhere - clearly the staff was not communicating with each other. Half an hour after this (at this point about 1 1/2 hours after we made our first report), I decided to call the manager - it was then that I realized that I had not received one call or visit from the manager since we reported this incident. I explained the situation to her, and her response was that she thought only our sunglasses were stolen. More miscommunication. We had the police called and when they arrived, they said that the hotel staff had informed them that stuff was stolen out of our room. It was at this point I became very frustrated. Clearly, no one was talking to each other, the manager seemed to care less about what was going on, and even the police seemed shocked at the hotel's reaction. The entire thing was handled so poorly, my husband and I decided to go to the Four Seasons. The only resolution the manager on duty offered us was to comp our $25 lunch and drinks at the bar. Um, thanks, I guess? The only hotel employee who even offered an apology was the receptionist at check out.

This whole issue is not about what was stolen - it's about service. An employee should be on site at all times. The manager told me it is okay for them to go back and forth to the pool area, leaving the "private" beach unattended. Had an employee been there, non-hotel guests would not have walked in and stolen our stuff. Besides, why isn't an employee on site during the hours of operation in case a guest wants a towel, drinks or food? I believe the hotel should put a sign up informing guests that employees are not always present and inform the employees themselves not to tell guests that leaving their stuff on the beach is "no problem".

Don't get me wrong - the hotel itself is fine and Azul is a great restaurant. I'm just shocked at how this was handled, when a simple call from the manager and basic communication skills would have sufficed. We love visiting Miami, but when we do, we'll be staying at the Four Seasons where they know the meaning of service. The manager, Daniel Miravel, was beyond accommodating and, despite what happened at the Mandarin, our trip to Miami was fantastic thanks to the Four Seasons.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

pros: large spacious rooms
pretty lobby
generally good service
cons: rude and aloof reception in the evening
tv screen in livingroom did not work, and hard to decipher channel changer, scratches on wooden floor, no door so no bathroom privacy in the dynasty suite

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!