“Really a grand chain” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Brussels
“Really a grand chain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

It is difficult to know what to say about this hotel having stayed there with my partner for 5 nights in April on a short break before moving on to NY for a business trip. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms are a treat. That is the best feature of this hotel. The hotel is situated in barren condo land in the financial district. The guests are definitely of the large chain variety -families etc. As a luxury hotel, it just doesn't quite click.The service is patchy. For example, we had to call for our bags to be delivered to the room. We would have done it ourselves but they had been whipped away when we checked in and then they were forgotten. In the Martini Bar, after ordering and receiving our drinks, we asked for water but it did not arrive, even after "Certainly". On the other hand, the young woman on duty mornings at the Concierge's office is excellent.

The biggest disappointment is the food. The breakfast is very poor value for money (72 USD for two) with different and therefore additional prices for hot and cold buffets which means you pay a separate and additional price, if you have eggs. The breakfast is very average for this class of hotel with quite poor quality bread and eggs. Hot chocolate and a single portion of toast late in the evening cost 20USD. You are better off leaving the hotel, crossing the road and grabbing breakfast in the local gourmet supermarket.

The spa is phenomenally overpriced e.g. 271USD for a massage and you have to arrive 45 minutes before an appointment.

• Liked — the room
  • Disliked — the service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

Attended the hotel on a business trip combined with some pleasure with my pregnant wife.
Called hotel concierge a day in advance and booked a prenatal spa treatment for my wife. Explained that she would be checking in ahead of me and should be told upon check in that her husband had given her a gift of massage and she should book a time of her choosing.
Called wife and found that this was not communicated. Called concierge to confirm that they did not communicate this to her-asked that they send a bellman up to her room to hand-deliver the message. They did send someone but they enclosed it in a sealed envelope with my name on it-my wife doesnt open my mail especially when I am on business. The concierge was unapologetic, unwilling to make any concessions and generally unresponsive to my requests.

I wont stay there again. After reading other reviews-its no surprise that my experience is similar to other people's in remarkably similar circumstances.

• Liked — Views, room size bathrooms
  • Disliked — Service Service Service
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Mandarin at the beginning of February. We loved our room, the spa, and the little beach area. The hotel is beautiful and conveniently located. We had a nice time overall. The food, however, (and particularly the room service), is overpriced ($70 for breakfast for 2).

Unfortunately, our stay was spoiled when the hotel incorrectly billed
my boyfriend's credit card at the end of our stay instead of mine (the weekend was my treat to him and that was made clear to the hotel). In the end, we felt that they took their time resolving the matter weeks later. They didn't seem particularly interested in doing anything of value (to us) to compensate for the error and inconvenience. This was an unfortunate end to a stay that was otherwise very nice.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — The lack of assistance once a problem is identified
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2007

Just wanted to say that our stay at the Mandarin Miami was fantastic and we will definately be back. The valet, concierge, martini bar (we spent alot of time there), and resturants were all meticulously accomodating. We also really enjoyed the beach and the view from our room. In addition, it was my husband's birthday and they were thoughtful enough to provide him with a birthday cake. Again just wanted to say ythis is a fantastic facility. Will be back soon!

Stayed March 2007
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

Our stay at this hotel was an absolute dream. Really.

Our room was average-size, but well appointed. It was on the balcony deck, so we had a lovely balocony in which to soak in the wonderful weather.

The staff was great. They catered to every request - from numerous mojitos at the pool/beach to extra chocolates every night, they were great.

The food was good. Just had the sushi, which was good. Nothing spectacular, just really good quality.

I loved the bath products, LOVED them. The soap, lotion, shampoo and conditioner was great.

The gym was adequate, really sufficient. Many hotel gyms, IMO, are subpar and an afterthought, but this one, while small, met every need. A nice feature in the hotel, there were large bottles of Evian water and bowls of fruit (Asian pears - my fave) for the taking. I would stop by before heading out for the day get some water and a pear for a snack.

The spa was exquisite. Guests get complimentary use of the spa and it was really nice. Boyfriend and I both took steams after working out and the entire spa experience was just sublime.

I really enjoyed the pool/beach area. The Mandarin has a a great little beach area on the bay and it's fabulous. They have those great, big beds on which to lay and it's just so relaxing.

One thing I didn't like (and it drives me crazy at all hotels), they charge $5 per 15 minutes for internet usage. I know it sounds petty, but when I am paying $500 for a hotel room, for a property to charge so exorbitantly for internet time is just petty. But they're making money, so I would do the same if I was in that position.

Overall a remarkably relaxing, special stay. Cannot wait to return.

• Liked — Service, room, decor, pool area and the MOJITOs!
  • Disliked — Internet charges
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2007

I just spent a night at the Mandarin Oriental - Miami this past weekend as an escape from South Beach where I live, and also to celebrate a birthday. From start to finish the experience was dreamy. I had read that service could be iffy, that the pool was small and cramped, and that the bill might include extra charges. The pool was area was small and cramped (but the pool itself was empty), but the service was fantastic and the bill was correct.

When we checked in we did not wait at all, and the very friendly man at the front desk (Raul) brought us up to our room, which had been upgraded to a junior suite with a huge balcony and a great bathroom. It's true that the bathroom (tub, sink, shower) are open to the bedroom with a screen that can be lowered, but the toilet is separate and has a door. We liked the unique design feature because it made the room feel even bigger (but then again, we got up at the same time as each other). The TV was old and had no movies (but we weren't there for that, so we did not mind.) Five minutes after we entered our room, just as we were cracking open some champagne, room service brought up a delicious birthday cake as a surprise! (There was also a box of chocolates, which I presume is always there.) Turn down service that night left us bottles of designer water as well.

That night we ate at Azul, and the great service continued. (Another birthday surprise after dinner too!) The 2 sommeliers were attentive and helpful. The food was delicious - I particularly recommend the rainbow of oysters appetizer if it's still on the menu, ditto the salmon tartare and the surf and turf. The scotch selection was impressive. The scotch was brought along with a cup of ice each, so we could control how much ice we wanted - nice touch. The cheese selection, on the other hand, was weak. There were only 5 options, and 1 was out. Still, overall a fun, delicious experience.

The next morning we ate at Cafe Sambal. The food was good, but exactly the same prices as room service - in other words, overpriced. It was a bit chilly in the morning and the maitre d' noticed I was cold and offered to bring me a wrap - another nice touch. The individual syrup was also warmed up - again, nice touch. The buffet did not look particularly appealing, so we ordered from the menu and were happy with what we received.

We spent the day at the beach, enjoying the raised beds and hammocks. The attendants were great - not intrusive, but they did bring us water frequently. At the pool (where we went to each lunch and to swim a bit) the attendants provided ipods, magazines, water, mango sorbet, etc. For lunch we ate sushi which we found generally to be overpriced and not particularly appealing.

After the beach we took advantage of the spa by booking a couple's suite for a few hours. As spa waiting areas go, I expected a bit more, but it was relaxing. There are two showers, which separate the sauna from the steam room. No jacuzzi. I would have preferred to have showers near the lockers & vanities. The 2 toilets were also separate from the lockers & the showers. The relaxation area itself was pleasant, although there was a guest snapping pictures, and talking on the phone! Anyway, the couple's suite massage treatments were delightful. We started out with rose petal foot treatments, while we watched dolphins dancing in the bay below. Next we chose to have sea salt exfoliation scrubs, then massages (aromatherapy & hot stone & swedish for me, deep tissue for him), then clay scalp massages. In between the salt exfoliation and the massages, the massage therapists exited the room so that we could shower (in the suite) and return clean to our massage tables. An absolute delight.

Overall, despite the hefty price, I heartily recommend the hotel for spa, dinner at Azul, romantic getaway or just rejuvenation in general.

• Liked — spa, rooms, proximity to ocean, azul
  • Disliked — price, pool, location in downtown miami
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2007

Excellent hotel, especially in overpriced Miami. Reasonable rates for the room. Very elegant styling, beautiful views, quiet, and safe. Only drawback is no place to buy simple amenities. Not on Miami beach, however we enjoyed not having to deal with the crowds.

Stayed February 2007

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!