“One of the top three in Miami” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #8 of 130 hotels in Miami
Ibiza, Spain
“One of the top three in Miami”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

Definitely in the top three hotels in the Miami area - I have stayed at most of the decent hotels in the last couple of years. The Setai is the best (and most expensive by a long way) and then it's between the Mandarin and the Four Seasons for second. The Mandarin wins in terms of style and facilities, the Four Seasons on pool area. The Ritz Carlton would be next and then the Shore Club, Delano, Victor, etc. below that.

For my long weekend stay, was given a Bay View King room on a lower floor, which gave good 90% view over bay towards Miami Beach, and a decent sized terrace with loungers. Room was asian-infludenced in style and consisted of large room with separate bathroom with a bath and a shower. Room amenities were a bit sparse for a 5-star room (standard shower kit, etc.) with no handy extras (razor, ear-cleaners, etc). Also the TV only had standard cable channels (plus a couple of premium movie channels) but no pay-per-view.

Pool and outdoor area are small and slightly cramped - we visited during half-full weekend and by 10am all the beach chairs were full and packed in like sardines. The beach-area, outside gate across path, with a few cabanas and beach-beds, is much better - it gives you a better view, is quieter and you have more space and sand between your feet. Pool menu is asian-based and while not extensive was of a good quality.

Breakfast at Cafe Sambal is a good option - an extensive menu at decent prices and there's both inside and terrace tables - note: the outdoor tables get very busy and the queue one morning was 30 mins.

The 2 main bars at the Mandarin (Lobby and Bar M) are small and disappointing and should be avoided for all but an emergency last-minute drink.

Service was impeccable at all times - e.g. lady delivering breakfast set up the table on the terrace at our request, and upon spilling a few drops of milk on the table, came back 5 minutes later with more milk and a few extra pastries.

If you have the money, stay at the Setai. If you want 5-star luxury and to lie by the pool, stay at the Four Seasons. if you want 5-star luxury and impeccable service and style, stay at the Mandarin Oriental.

Stayed March 2007

1,094 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Mandarin for 3 nights at the end of February. We were assigned a room, and told that the bellman would be up with our luggage shortly. Unfortunately, when we got up to the room, we realized that we were not the only guests staying there - someone's whole luggage (including a women's purse) was spread out in the room. We went downstairs, received a lukewarm apology (the bellman was more apologetic about the situation), and were assigned another room - turns out this one is a lower category than what we paid for! My husband called the front desk, where they told him that the hotel was completely sold out and that the soonest they would be able to move us would be hopefully the next day - after I got on the phone (I am currently 5 months pregnant and had just about enough for one day) they said that a bellman would be up right away with a new key for another room. It took 2 more calls and a total of 45 minutes to have this happen.

More unpleasantries. There was another guest staying in the hotel with the same last name as me. Surely something that happens quite often in large places, as my name is not uncommon. This issue, however, was too much for the Mandarin staff. The front desk, the spa, the concierge and even the pool bar ALL confused our names, despite the fact that every time I called I left my room number. We received the other guests confirmations for spa appointments, were billed for their food, given their restaurant reservations. Again, a barely lukewarm apology from the front desk regarding our issues at checkout, even as they were taking the other guests charges off our bill.

Also, the directions the concierge desk gave to any location were always wrong - this was shocking to us since there were multiple staff giving us directions at different times!

We did try the spa, and found both therapists very good for the massages (I had the prenatal massage, my husband deep tissue).

We would not return to this location, rather opting for the Four Seasons where our experiences have always been positive. Further, based on this stay, I doubt we would ever stay at the Mandarin chain again.

• Liked — Th spa therapists were ver good.
  • Disliked — Front desk and concierge service passable for a Holiday Inn.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2007

It's true -- the shower door leaks; there are strange charges added to the bill; the management tries to make good when problems are pointed out -- the general impression I got from reading other visitors' comments was an accurate one.

In my opinion the hotel tries to maintain an high standard but the staff is not necessarily up to the task. The service was uneven.

For instance, when we opened our box of welcome chocolates, they were half eaten. When we tried to consult the hotel information guide in our room, many of the pages were missing.

An 18.5 percent tip was added to the checks for breakfast and refreshments by the pool, but not to the dinner tab.

When we checked out the guest in line in front of us was explaining that his family had not used the mini-bar. Our bill had two nights' valet parking fees ($64) but we didn't have a car.

Overall, we had a pleasant stay and particularly enjoyed the hotel's quiet location.

• Liked — comfortable rooms, hotel location
  • Disliked — quirky service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2007

This Hotel is the best large Hotel Operation I have seen in Miami.

The guests rooms are very well done perfectly maintained and offer everything you would expect from a TOP 5 star hotel.

Employee’s attitude is simply unmatched more like Asia then any other hotel I have been in the USA.

I consider out of the 10 Spa Operation I did visit in Florida this Spa as the number one, design, service, and quality of the treatments beat all the rest it offers everything a Spa can possibly have.

The food quality and presentation n all Restaurants as well as in Room Service is simply perfect, the outlets are well decorated and beautifully located and are for sure not expensive.

Check in check out is perfect; Guest Relation services are Top of the Line.

The pool, garden and beach area is well maintained and beautifully planed, missing nothing.

I could not think of anything missed in guest services or employees attitude great and beautiful Resort Hotel with best possible quality service.

• Liked — The Fine Dining Restaurant
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2007

stayed at the MO Miami for two nights in february. this is the 8th time we've stayed at the hotel and we always enjoy it.
Summary: MO Miami has excellent design, a very relaxing and tranquil location, but the service level keeps it from rating 5-stars.
Room: reserved and received a deluxe bay-view room. great balcony with room for 2 lounge chairs, nice view over the bay and downtown miami, very comfortable bed and nice furnishings, and love the layout of the room with the view from the bathtub.
Food: Ate at Azul - always excellent. The food as well as the service from the wait staff and somalier were great. They do a great job with both fish and meat selections and have an really fantastic wine list. Also notable - great selections from room service - pad thai and shrimp dumplings were fantastic and a nice alternative to the usual room service fare. Deliveries were always within 30 mins of ordering.
"Beach": They brought in a lot of sand to create a beach area with very comfortable lounge "beds" and great food/drinks service. You can't get access to the ocean from here, but the view is relaxing and they do a nice job pampering the guests.
Pool: smallish pool with lots of chairs packed in. We opted to hang at the "beach" instead but the pool area was very popular.
Service: The only down side. Although room service is very quick, the front desk staff is not up to the same level. We had to call down several times to report that our neighbor was smoking a pipe in his room (we were on a non-smoking floor) and the smell was coming into our room via the balconies. Each time they said they'd call him; finally after the third attempt they actually did and the smoking stopped.
Overall: relaxing and enjoyable oasis within downtown miami.

Stayed February 2007
west palm beach, florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2007

I stayed in their deluxe skyline rooms. Incredicle room with crown molding gorgeou bathroom (open to the entire room). In the evening, I rented out their private beach for a propsal to my GF. I had everything i needed at my fingertips. It was amazing. This hotel is 5 stars. Second to none. From the service to the fantastic room, to the private beach, it was unbelievable. I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to romance their wife, gf, or for a honey moon. Great for a private getaway, away from all the noise on Southbeachl. Very private, secluded place. Excellent hotel. Worth every penny.

• Liked — Private, and secluded.
  • Disliked — A tad on the pricey side, but no complaints.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
County Antrim
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

I took my mother, who lives in south florida, on a long weekend to detox and relax. The hotel had a great rate for floridians. When we got there, they said they had "bad news". The room we had book, a bayside twin bed " was not available..so they gave us a suite...for no extra charge!! It was ver ylarge and comfortable and the bathroom was enormous. The balcony was the length of the room with beautiful views. There were two tv's (not flat panel but who cares). The decor was minimalist, not plush but comfortable and in perfect condition. Housekeeping was discreet and capable.

It was fortunate that the room was so big as I got ill and for 36 hours had to take to my bed..not a bad place to be sick tho.

The Azul was closed but we took out meals at the Cafe Sambal..the sea bass is to die for and the pad thai is beautful.. The hotel does a great mojito as well.

Breakfast was great but too big. If you are paying extra, I suggest splitting one breakfast for two.

Thee beach was a disappointment as it is really just some sand with loungers and you cannot acces the water. The pool was beautiful if a bit small, but as it was off season it was empty at most times.

The spa, while expensive, was wondeful. We had booked half say sessions and all the services were perfect. I had the hot stones and refexology and my mother had a facial and hot stones and hody scrub and reflexology.

I reccommend this place for a spa break..do not come looking for a seaside location. It is beautiful relaxinf, but rather expensive. Enjoy it if you have extra money. As my mothe says..it is better han giving it to the doctor!!

• Liked — Wonderful beds and bathroom
  • Disliked — "beach" not really there
  • Tips/Secrets — It s far from the main action so if that's what you want stay elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!