“Every moment, every detail, absolutely amazing.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #8 of 129 hotels in Miami
Marina del Rey, California
“Every moment, every detail, absolutely amazing.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2009

Every moment, every detail, absolutely amazing.

Summer was coming to close here in Boston and my girlfriend and I weren't ready to put away our swimwear. After spending countless hours comparing hotels on every island in the Caribbean, I realized that there were no guarantees for sunshine, most hotels involved compromises and with only a week off I wanted to maximize my leisure and relaxation—not spend the entire first and last days of our time off traveling.

After reading many mixed hotel reviews and upcoming weather reports for the region and I was frustrated. Then I remembered my stay at Mandarin Oriental, New York—where the accommodations, service and general atmosphere made the hectic center of New York City feel like a leisurely escape. I had been to their properties in Boston and Riviera Maya, Mexico as well. There is a consistent feeling when you enter a Mandarin—it is calming, sophisticated and luxurious—what I wanted in a romantic/leisure getaway. Neither of us had been on vacation in quite some time and so we wanted perfection and at Mandarin Oriental, Miami we got it.

Arrival:
From the moment we stepped out of our taxi, everything was absolute bliss. The charming staff treated us like royalty, they learned our names, and made themselves available at any moment—with a sincere smile. The lobby has fantastic views and smelled incredible—I was told it was some jasmine incense, I don't usually like incense, but this was instantly relaxing and therapeutic. We had arrived approximately an hour before check-in, which was not a problem as they upgraded us to an available room for free. After being brought some delicious peach tea blend, we were shown our room.

Room:
Our room was stunning. Plenty of space, quality furnishings, very comfortable bedding; it also had a unique layout where the bathroom opens up to the rest of the space—yes; the water closet is still separate. The vibe was very romantic—relaxing and exciting. The huge flat screen television and ipod/iphone dock with a Denon sound system were nice bonuses. We used that iPod dock nearly the entire time, but when we didn't, the hotel was dead quiet—as if we were the only ones there. The view from the 18th floor was surreal—the entire downtown Miami skyline. I did have one serious issue with the room—No HDTV. A 40"+ flat screen television looks pretty bad without a high definition signal. I noticed there could have been more counter space in the bathroom.

Leisure by day:
While I had planned several day trips and nights/dinners out, after being at the hotel for only a few hours we had little interest in leaving. We spent our 5 days and 4 nights almost exclusively at the hotel. By day, we split time between the infinity pool and the hotel's private beach along the bay. The pool was clean and very refreshing. I did not understand how they overlooked the pool nets and floatation devices on the fence that interrupt the view—but at this point I was being very picky. The private beach was like stepping into another world—laying out on daybeds over white sand in the middle of a gorgeous city skyline. The staff, as always was very attentive to us. When my girlfriend would mention to me she was thirsty, seemingly out of thin air was a staff member with ice water. When I would start to sweat, someone was there with a eucalyptus-scented cold washcloth. The drinks were a little too sweet for my taste, so I asked them to make them a little bit stronger—from then on we never had to ask again.

Being a hotel guest you can use the spa facilities any time for free—take advantage! Steam room, sauna, oversized towels, plush robes—a great way to relax pre-flight as we did! We got a couples massage. While I get intense bodywork once a week—I had never been so relaxed as I was after our couples massage. It was pricey, perhaps a little over-the-top for my budget and the changing room was a bit small, but a nice way to spend a cloudy afternoon.

I would highly recommend a day at South Beach. The water, the sun and the people are beautiful. The concierge gave us directions for a great drop-off location close to the best shopping and dining in the area.

By night:
At night we would sit out above the pool area in the chic M-Bar; watching the distant thunderstorms, listening to the sounds of the rolling palm trees, enjoying the warm Miami breeze, sipping from one of the hundreds of cocktail offerings. The server at M-bar found out I had been to their Riviera Maya property and had a special drink he concocted for that menu. Ask for the Riviera Maya!

We utilized room service every night to some degree. Yes, it is expensive—but not unreasonable. Our meals, the presentation and the friendly staff delighted us. The hotel is a bit secluded—so late at night room service is the only option unless you want to walk about 15 minutes. I believe all the food is served from Cafe Sambal (one of the two restaurants on-site). The Pad Thai is incredible (best I’ve had), and we couldn't get enough of their Sushi. The Sushi is perhaps the best 'value' on the entire menu—fresh, flavorful and delightfully presented.

We spent our final night at the hotel's signature restaurant, Azul, which I have written a separate review for. You cannot stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Miami without spending a night dining at this restaurant!

I could not have asked for a better vacation. I realize that this review lacks much negative criticism—but it is simply a difficult resort/hotel to find fault with. Yes, all this luxury, pampering and decadence, comes with a hefty price—we left feeling like we received an excellent value. We sacrificed a couple nights stay somewhere else to afford what we had at Mandarin Oriental, Miami—but it was well worth it.

1,104 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Grand Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Mandarin. Our room was upgraded upon arrival and the lobby was very welcoming. The bedroom was excellent - clean, spacious, lots of natural light, wonderful shower and bath etc. The spa was wonderfully relaxing and luxurious and I would recommend anyone to at least head for the sauna and chill out room! The restaurant we used was truly excellent, although we didn't get chance to try the famous 'Azur'.

Although I'm not a reviewer who picks out every flaw, I do feel that it's worth noting a few areas. We would have really appreciated tea and coffee making facilities in the room, rather than having to ring down every time we needed some. Also, our upgraded room had a very small balcony and our ideas of sitting out under the stars were slightly dashed! The cost of the car rental was also very, very high. However, it is also true that we could have gone elsewhere for our car and highlighted any issues we had to the staff (who I am sure would have resolved them!). We didn't, so I guess we deserved it!

The hotel staff were excellent throughout our stay and I'd like to take this opportunity of thanking them for a truly wonderful service. First class hotel and fully recommended.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

The Mandarin Oriental is a very impressive hotel. Our room was large with a huge bathroom. The standards of service were high and the hotel was very clean.

The pool area has limited space but was perfect for relaxing in the sun. We were fortunate to see a dolphin swimming in Biscayne Bay several times as we laid by the pool.

The hotel restaurant served really good quality food and the cocktail bar provided a great choice of drinks.

There are a number of restaurants a short walk from the hotel (we would recommend the Oceanaire) but this is not the best location for sight seeing etc. We spent a few days here relaxing after a cruise which it was ideal for.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

We only stayed one night on our way through MIA, but really enjoyed the hotel. Service was excellent. Room was spacious and really well equipped. Pool was great. Zero to complain about.

The Sun Fun & More rate is great value - $250 per night and includes breakfast ($65), valet parking ($30) and a 4pm check out - a steal we thought.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I had looked forward to my trip at this hotel. When I checked into my room they told me my room was not available. This was at the check in time. They told me they were "upgrading" me to a better room. The better room was right on top of the elevator. Additionally the room was hot. I turned the thermostat down to 60 and it still was not cooling. The gauge stated it was 72 but the temperature was at least 90 in the room. I went down stairs and they sent up engineering. They were in my room for more then an hour. I found out from the engineer that the temperature was regulated outside of my room. No matter what the gauge in the room stated it was not going to change. They told me that they would cool the room down. This was after he asked me if I opened the doors which I did not. I called the manager and he was down right RUDE! He told me that no one else complained. I went down stairs and asked for another room. I had to leave for dinner so I did not have time to move my things until after. When I returned the room they gave me was on the 20th floor at the same location. It was HOTTER THEN THE ROOM I WAS IN. I did not move. I stayed in that hot box all weekend. The hallways were a hot box. I went downstairs and one of the people in my group said the same thing about her room. Additionally, I had the pleasure of hearing the elevator all night long. Moreover, I would not spend a dime here! I travel extensively and TRUST me this place is overrated! Service is horrible! They do not care whatsoever!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
MiamiBest, Management at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, September 18, 2009
Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. As General Manager, I sincerely apologize that your stay with us was disappointing and did not meet your expectations. We strive to ensure that each and every one of our guest’s visits is an enjoyable one.

I have researched the matter with our Manager on Duty who you spoke with and our Front Office Manager. Although no other comments were received about uncomfortable temperature conditions in the guest rooms, we are having the main system thoroughly evaluated to ensure that the temperature is of a comfortable level and that it can be adjusted according to our guests’ needs.

Additionally, I understand you didn’t like your room situated close to the elevator. We have made note of this in your guest file as well as your room temperature level requirements. This situation should not occur again as we are now better prepared to meet your needs.

I will also address your service comments with the appropriate team members. We do not accept this type of behavior from our colleagues or managers and we will follow up to ensure this not occur again.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your constructive comments regarding your stay. We hope you will give us another opportunity with a return visit in the not too distant future.

Jorge Gonzalez
Executive Vice President
Southern Region, The Americas
Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Cardiff
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I stayed in the Mandarin for more of a stop over period of 4 days. It was in November and as it was Florida, the weather was great. The hotel is based on Brickell key looking into Miami, as you would imagine the hotel is very plush with exotic bars, resturants and a man made beach. On the Friday night we arrived the reception area was full of large private cars and beautiful people, there was a party on the man made beach. I'm not sure if this was a one-off, if it wasn't you need to be at this party, it was amazing. Our room was on the 7th floor with an amazing view and furnised very extravagantly as your would expect.

We headed out to South Beach on Saturday night, the concierge at the Mandarin was very helpful with his knowledge, advise and contacts! I don't have any faults with the hotel itself other than the distance from South Beach itself, but I do suspect that if you wanted to stay in Miami and weren't in need of an over extravagant hotel then you might consider staying elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

Stayed for a long weekend & had a wonderful time. The hotel is beautifully done (elegantly simple with an Asian twist) & the rooms are incredibly inviting. Had a room with a city view, which was perfect. You get a water view, as well as nightime skyline; loved sitting out on the nicely sized balcony (even in the August heat).

Service was good, but a little spotty (it could have been the weekend crew, valet service seemed appreciably better on Monday morning). Housekeeping was spotless & invisible. Restaurant (only ate in cafe 3x) & poolside service was a little slow. Nothing was bad, but didn't seem quite up to the 5* level you expect from top-end hotels.

The location is both an asset and detriment. Its placement on an island off of downtown provides great views & virtually no noise. the downside is that you have to drive everywhere & there are no restaurants or shops within walking distance (you are essentially forced to eat there for a light meal, snack or breakfast). HOwever, I was happy not to have to deal with the noisy, drunken masses of South Beach & more than willing to make the 15 minute drive when I wanted more excitement.

The pool (& poolside sushi bar) were great. Not too crowded, though I don't know if that would be the case in peak season. I agree that the beach area is a little forlorn & appears slightly neglected. It is apparent that they created an artifical beach; I didn't use it at all.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay & would absolutely return.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!