“Refined, Luxurious treat w/ World class friendly service” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #9 of 129 Hotels in Miami
New York
“Refined, Luxurious treat w/ World class friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2005

Treated myself to a long weekend at the Mandarin for my birthday and it couldn't have been a better thing to do for myself. If you want refined elegance where service is with a welcoming smile, then this is it. Perfect for a meditative retreat - very restorative to the soul. The pool is not large, but it was never very crowded. It's an infinity pool so the views are nice, especially when you're in it. Water temp was always perfect. The constant refilling of ice water with lemon, gratis, was a most welcome touch for all the guests at the beach and pool. Pretty much did not need to leave the hotel as lazing by the pool and man-made beach w/ teak canopied beds was too perfect. Rooms were spacious and impeccably clean. Food at Cafe Azul was extemely good. High caliber fitness room (and of course their well-known spa which I did not try). There's also an easy jogging path around Key Brickell (about 1.3 miles) which the Mandarin gives a small map for.
I've tried the Ritz Carlton in Miami as well with friends and I have to say I like them both equally but for different reasons. They are both high quality hotels well worth their 5 stars, but if you're looking for some privacy away from the crowds, then the Mandarin is a better bet. And yes, they brought me a lovely cake while I was away as well as received a lovely happy b-day message from their GM, Jorge Gonzales. Quite the nice surprise-- as I said their service seemed genuinely sincere and thoughtful. Would definitely stay again and plan to make this an annual trip. You really should try one of these wonderful hotels as it really does help to enhance the SOBE experience. Also try their web-site for some seasonal specials; you won't regret it.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2005

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in July for 5 nights and had a wonderful experience, for the most part. The room was beautiful with a view of the bay and had a large balcony. The bathroom was amazing; all marble with a stand-up shower, a bathtub for two and they provided the most wonderful bath products each day.

We arrived quite late the first day, after midnight, and therefore ordered room service which was quite good and I didn't think badly priced ($15 for a huge chicken ceasar salad which we ended up sharing). We ate at Cafe Sambal every morning, the food and service was very good. Overall, the staff was wonderful, especially Carlos at the concierge desk, I cannot say enough good about him - he took care of all of our requests, some of which were a little extreme, with such ease and always with a smile. Everytime I picked up the phone for anything at all, I felt like someone was knocking on our door before I could hang up the receiver. Everywhere you go, the staff always stops to great you, from management all the way down the chain. The infinity pool was beautiful, get there early on the weekends before all of the chairs get taken though. The food / beverage service at the pool was a little spotty - we had to ask for a menu four times and wait 20 minutes for the waitress to finally come over. We ordered a cucumber - avocado roll and they forgot to roll the avocado in, when we brought that to their attention, they just put some chopped up avocado on top of the roll rather than roll a new one which was a little disappointing but in the scheme of things not a big deal at all.

Our only complaint about our stay was when we had our final dinner at Azul, the only AAA 5 Diamond restaurant in all of Miami. We sat outside which I would not recommend unless it is a little cool because there is no air circulation at all. The food was wonderful, as a matter of fact it was the best meal we had down there and we consider ourseleves to have fairly sophisticated palates. The server who took care of us was, in the kindest word I can find, ATROCIOUS!!! We ate there on a Sunday evening and earlier in the day had brunch at the Biltmore where, anyone who has had the brunch there can tell you, you practically have to roll out of there you eat so much. Since we were not starving, we decided not to order an appetizer which our server clearly had a problem with, mind you this was right after we selected a $150 bottle of wine. Everytime we had a question about the menu, he had something obnoxious to say, for example when we were looking at the desert menu I asked what exactly the peach melba was, he responded with such attitude, "It's peach!" That was it for us and we made a complaint to the manager on duty and eventually followed up with the hotel General Manager the experience was so upsetting.

Overall, we enjoyed the hotel very much but our experience at the restaurant always pops into my head when people ask about our mini vacation. We will definitely stay at the Mandarin Oriental again but we will NEVER eat at Azul again, there are so many wonderful resturants in Miami that will not treat you the way we were treated when you spend $300 on dinner so I suggest you spend your money elsewhere.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2005

I had a wonderful stay at the Manadarin in July. An excellent five star hotel. I stayed in a Superior Bay view room on the 16th floor. The room was clean and spacious with all the emities that you would expect from a five star hotel. The room has three phones one which is cordless, bathrobes, slippers and an umbrella. The room had a balony with chairs and a table to enjoy the view of the bay. The only problem with the balony is, if your room is in the middle of the hotel your view of the bay will be partly block by what appears to be a condo building directly in front of the bay. I didn't get to try the restarants at the hotel, but I did ordered room service. The food came right on time as schedule with all the condiments you can think of, but the food was very mediocre.

I enjoyed a day at their spa, which was very nice. The lomi lomi massage is done in a special suite of the spa with a very nice view of the pool.

The pool was nice as was the manmade beach. The hotel didn't seem to be crowd at all even tho I was told it was booked solid. It could have been because of Hurricane Dennis. But the weather there was perfect. It didn't even rain.

I would definitly stay again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2005

I cna not praise this hotel enough, the staff the quality of food, service, rooms, facilities.

And although some say it is expensive; we paid less for a two course meal with drinks here that at The Wyndham Miami Beach which was horrible!!!! and although room service was pricy the bar drinks and Cafe Sambulwere no worse than other hotels we stayed in and at least here the service and place is great too.

I would definately rccomend this hotel if, but be prepared for a bit of a journey to the Art Deco district and Lincoln drive where the restaurants and night life are (about $22 to $30 each way)

Fantastic place i wish i could holiday with them all the time.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2005

My wife and I recently stayed a night at the Mandarin on our honeymoon. The hotel, lobby, and rooms were all very nice and I was very impressed. Hotel staff was very courteous and accommodating. The private beach, while it looked very nice and clean, was unusuable due to the number of mosquitos present. I felt that the price of the room was fair, $330 for an ocean view on the 17th floor, however food and drinks were WAYYYYY overpriced.

I was unable to get reservations at the 5 star restaurant Azul, so instead my wife and I went to Cafe Sambal for dinner. The dinner was okay, we both got shrimp, which were very good, a salad each, 2 pina coladas, and 2 diet cokes. For a meal that I thought was decent but nothing spectacular by no means, I would have put it a step above Applebees for example, I expected to pay around $50, however when I got the bill it was over $95!! Turns out they charge $10 for mixed drinks, ridiculous. Room service was also overpriced, 2 dishes of ice cream later in the evening came to $35. My wife is a diet coke addict so we had to purchase a few while there, they were $3.50 for one of those small 8 oz bottles. Yeah the soda didn't break my wallet but just the thought still aggravated me.... and don't even think about using the mini fridge.

I personally will never stay there again, after having saved money to have a great honeymoon I felt I wasted $200 by staying here. If money is not an issue for you then by all means its a great place, the high prices on some items just left a very sour taste in my mouth. If I could do it again I'd still get the room, but I'd buy a case of soda and order a pizza for delivery instead.

• Stayed June 2005
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2005

Stayed for three nights in January. The hotel was superb from check in to check out. The architecture is spectacular and the lobby truly elegant with lovely views and gorgeous materials. Even though we had an entry level room it was fantastic. Spacious with lovely soothing decor and very comfy bed. Bathroom worthy of a maharaja. The pool is nice and service great. The food at Azul to die for. Room service was excellent, and the staff ultra professional. The hotel was peaceful and relaxing as opposed to the frenetic pace of South Beach. The Mandarin Oriental Miami is as close to perfection as it gets. We actually extended a night it was so enjoyable.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2005

After staying 2 nights at The Tides on SOBE we decided to try 3 nights at the Mandarin. There was absolutely nothing wrong with The Tides however our move was due to the excessive weekend rates that are applied to Miami hotels. If you want the exclusivity the Mandarin Oriental is the place to stay.

Like other Mandarin Orinental hotels that we have stayed in the Miami hotel exceeds in customer service. The staff are helpful, friendly and are taught to make the guests feel welcomed. The conceirge service seem to have the answer and connections for everything! We stayed here for my husbands 30 Birthday and he was pleasantly surpised when the hotel delivered a Birthday cake to our room. The timing was impecable - the cake seemed to coincide with our perfectly with a short afternoon visit to our room.

We chose to stay in a ocean front room. The furninshing were solid and were in line with a 5 star rating. The bathroom was a decent size with a opening in the wall between the bathroom and room separated onlywith a blind. This did not bother us as a married couple, however just to highlight, the tolilet itself had it's own room with a door.

If I was to ever visit Miami again, I would definately choose this location over South beach. The Mandarin seems to have everything, including a man made beach for bathing, plus more!

A fantastic place to get away from it all!

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!