“Good business hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 130 hotels in Miami
Hong Kong, China
“Good business hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2005

Has everything you would expect from a good business hotel. Bathroom can also open up to the bedroom so you can watch TV from the tub. A bit tricky to find the turning to the hotel since it is not signposted off 8th. Check-in staff a bit teutonic. Concierge was more friendly, helpful. Nice gym, pool. Parking is USD24/night.

• Stayed April 2005

1,099 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2005

My husband and I decided to come to Miami two days prior to our Royal Caribbean cruise. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental from 5/11-5/13/05. It was a hefty price to pay for the two nights but it was so worth it. As soon as we arrived our bags were taken away immediately. When you walk in to the Mandarin it smells like aromatherapy. The oriental music is very soothing to the ears. Right when we first walked in, we were on vacation. The Mandarin sits right on the bay so as your walking in all you see is water. Our room was not ready when we arrived b/c normal check in time is 3pm. So like kids in a candy store we looked around. The pool area was beautiful.. There is a pool side bar for all your beverages needed to relax. They also serve lunch poolside also. We decided to have lunch at Cafe Sambal. There were no outside tables available so we had to take a table indoors. The food was more like Japanese, Thai and Chinese I guess. I really didn't care, I was just hungry. The staff was very friendly. We did wait longer than normal for our food. When it finally came out it wasn't worth the $67.00 we paid for our tab. The tea was good though. We managed to finish lunch right b/f 3pm and our room was available.

There was no wait on the elevators, very fast. The hallways are kept very dim. I guess that's a way to get you relaxed. Got in the room and awaited was complimentary chocolates and a welcome card. After being in the room less than 2 minutes the door bell rung. (Yes there is a door bell) It was our luggage. The linens were all in white. The furniture was white. The bathroom had an enormous soaking tub with a separate marble shower for two. The whole bathroom was marble. There are robes available and slippers. You can keep the slippers. The soaps and lotions given are not your average. All play a major part in smell. All aromatherapy! Yes! Finally a hotel that knows how to spoil you. We chose a Deluxe Skyline Bayview Room. Excellent choice. The view from the balcony was excellent. I couldn't submit all the pictures but you get the point.

Let's see there's a turn down service with a lovely flower everynight. We did order room service and it was not that good. Don't order the Turkey BLT. The bread is as hard as a rock. It was $52.00. I wasn't impressed at all with the sandwich.

Ladies.... The spa is out this world. I had a spa appointment at 5pm for a Luxury Facial and a 80 minute Swedish Massage. When you walk in to the spa the hallway is very dim. They ask you for your name and quickly seat you. As you wait they come and take your shoes and replace them with spa shoes. From there you are lead down a dim hallway with sounds of oriental music and water sounds. Very relaxing. Your given a keychain for a locker and you slip into a comfy robe. From there you go to a waiting room where you are greeted and asked if you would like tea or water. Again sounds of relaxing music and a water streaming down the wall. There are steam rooms also. I didn't wait that long b/f they called me.
The massage was good. If you don't have deep muscle tension, I would not recommend the swedish massage. There is pain associated with this massage b/c it deals with pressure points. The facial was ok. I thought that there would be extractions. So if you get the luxury facial it does not come with extractions. You do get a neck, scalp and shoulder massage though.

Oh did I mention that this hotel also has their own man made beach. It has many cabanas and hammocks to rest the day away. The breeze was amazing.

On our final night we decided to eat at Azul. This resturant is also located inside the hotel. Very pricey but worth it. We noticed that a lot of people spoke spanish. The money was worth it . The attire is casual. You can not wear shorts in this restuarant. My husband made a mistake and wore shorts and the attendant privately asked him if he would change to pants.

Check out was fast and easy. This hotel was so worth the money. I would stay here again. There were so many plus factors here. If we could have changed anything, we would have rented a car to see more of the city. Oh also there were not hardly any children at this hotel. So if your staying for a honeymoon great choice.

I LOVE THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!! Somebody loan me some money so I can go back!! lol

• Stayed May 2005
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2005

Got a great deal on the internet (40% off advertised rates) and used it as a one night stopover en route back to Heathrow. Building is impressive (although dwarfed by surrounding financial HQs and the like) and about a 15 minute cab ride from the airport. Staff are superb throughout the hotel. Our room was a bay view - all fittings were excellent and my wife revelled in the bath. And the ridiculously overpriced spa where she had a number of treatments, all preceded by the ringing of a small bell. Ahem. We ate in the Cafe/restaurant where the food was very good and again, the service top class. If you can get the rate this is a great stopover and the staff have a lot of nice touches like getting us some water for the cab ride back to the airport.

• Stayed May 2005
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2005

My husband and I spent a week at this hotel after a hectic week in New York. We got a great deal via Lastminute and were a bit worried in case our room reflected this. We needn't have worried. A huge room with sofa, balcony, great big bathroom. The food was amazing as was the beach party on Friday nights (although lots of teenagers). We really really loved it. We stay in a lot of luxury hotels and this one truly is wonderful. Not much going on in the local area, but £15 in a cab to South Beach.

• Stayed March 2005
chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

My girlfriend and I stayed at the MO April 22-24. The minute you step into the lobby, this hotel will overwhelm you. The decor and even scents throughout are amazing. The service is the best I've ever experienced. All employees are constantly asking if everything is alright and if you need anything (almost to the point of annoyance, but very accomodating). Our original room had a small balcony compared to other rooms and we requested another room. A bellman was sent right away to meet us at our new room.

The pool and pool area is a bit small for the size of the hotel, but no real complaints. The beach area is great. There is no access to the water, but there are nice mats set out and even raised beds with canopy for shade/privacy. I cannot comment about the food beyond breakfast and lunch at the pool as we ate out most nights, but it was very good (but also very pricey). The service was good, but slow at times.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone. You definitely get what you pay for, which is a lot. There were two celebs staying at the hotel and even hanging around in the pool area. Was a bit awkward since everyone stared, but a new experience.

I can't imagine staying at a better hotel.

• Stayed April 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2005

If you can spend $300/night, you will not regret it. If you've never been to Miami before, note: It's a 20 minute drive to South Beach.

• Stayed October 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2005

Awesome location + Great decor + Good service = Great Experience

Stayed here recently and had a great time. Service is a little hit or miss- sometimes it's awesome and other times you have to wait 1.5 hours for the bellman to get your luggage. Overall they make up for it with excellent rooms, breath taking views and an amazing spa. DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT GOING TO THE SPA!!!!!!!!!!!

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!