“Wow, wow, wow...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Wow, wow, wow...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

This was our first Mandarin Oriental stay and it was amazing – everything... the lobby, the restaurants, the service, the rooms. We stayed one night here after a cruise, the last night of our trip in celebration of 5 years together and I let the hotel know that in advance. We were just getting off a cruise, so we went to the hotel early, around noon to see if we could check in. There was a wait, but it is not like we are preferred guests – however, I was informed that a room was available, but we should wait for our room because we were being upgraded to a Bickel Suite! The suite was beautiful – one an a half baths – 885 square feet, we were on the 18th floor (room 1805). I cannot begin to explain how happy we were with the room - it was ridiculous. Not to mention, the bed was covered in rose petals and a rose, the bathtub (huge) was full of rose petals and chocolate covered strawberries adorned with orchids were delivered to our room as a surprise later in the evening!!! This was the best night of sleep on the 10 night trip. We had breakfast and dinner at the café on the property and ordered sushi by the pool and both were wonderful. The pool was large enough and towel service was fantastic. We were there on a Friday and Saturday during the day and only saw about 20 other guests total near the pool. Keep in mind, we are independent ladies and “budget travelers”, so we do not require these perks, but I cant imagine more efficient service. Saying we are budget travelers should not suggest we do not know of luxury – I just put in the work to find fantastic deals, we travel off-season and we do not require constant assistance. We will ALWAYS, ALWAYS check for a Mandarin Oriental for our future travels (not that it will always be the best deal, but I will check this branch first if they have a resort in our travel destination and be willing to pay a reasonable amount more for a room knowing we will be 100% (+) satisfied :-).

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel a few times over the last 6 months. Without doubt a very comfortable, beautifully appointed hotel - just what you'd expect from a brand like the Mandarin Oriental. Its location on Brickell Key gives it great views in every direction, the water and the high rise skyline of the CBD. However, its location is also kind of dull - there aren't any local shops or restaurants, except for expensive corporate steakhouses in other hotels or apartment buildings. My main gripe with the hotel is that I think the rooms are underwhelming for the price you pay. They are lovely, beds very comfy, bathrooms impressive - but they lack the wow factor I'd expect for the kind of money they're charging. And the cost of the in-room dining is huge.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
Allemans-du-Dropt, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Miami, Florida

I have just had the pleasure of staying in the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Miami. This is part of the worldwide chain that prides themselves on their level of quality and service.

On the basis of my visit I can say they are justified in their reputation.

The rooms are excellent, plenty of space, comfortable and with a full range of facilities.
All of the facilities such as the Spa (15000 square feet), Fitness Room and Pool were excellent. The views out front are of Biscayne Bay and at night this is especially good.

The food in their 2 restaurants is of high quality and innovative. Azul has a very high reputation and price. Café Sambal offers a wide range of good food including sushi, sashimi and maki. These are great especially the eel rolls. I ate on the terrace for breakfast and in the evening. My tuna carpaccio was truly excellent, I was less impressed with the trio of duck which was for me a disappointment. The Kobe beef was also very good. You can also eat poolside which is very pleasant in this agreeable climate.

One evening I tried room service and had a rare Kobe beef burger. This was good but the cart was too high for all the chairs in the room. I do not expect this kind of fundamental error in a 5 star hotel.

The one annoyance was that on every bill there was the addition of a standard 18% service charge (room service 20%) and state taxes. This resulted in bills for much more expense than appeared on the card. I found it impossible to eat for less than 50$ per person!

Many years ago I stayed in the Mandarin Singapore which impressed me. This hotel in Miami offered a 5 star experience at a commensurate price. Of course being Miami there were two Ferraris parked in the driveway …..

Philip Payne File ReviewMandarinhotel

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

This won't be a complete review because we did not really experience this hotel service or food wise. We booked the Mandarin in Miami based on great reviews but were disappointed when we got there and, while waiting for our room to be ready, checked out the pool area. It's very disappointing. For a luxury hotel, the pool/"beach" area looked pretty average. The pool was really small and there weren't many chairs around it. The "beach" area, which is just basically a giant sand pit with beds on it, was SO big, yet the pool and pool are was SO small. My husband and i were really underwhelmed and based solely off of that, since relaxing outside was our sole purpose for going to Miami, we decided to move over to South Beach and stay in a hotel on the beach.

I dont want to comment on the food or service or anything else. Im sure it is all up to par with the Mandarin chain and we had a fine experience with the service, the short time we were there, but it just seems weird to go to Miami and not be near the ocean. In the end, I think that this hotel should have an amazing, palatial pool that is up to par with the mandarin name and it just isn't.
Bottom line, Im sure this is a great hotel, but if you're looking for an optimal pool/beach experience, I dont think this is it.

Baltimore Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for four nights during a recent visit to Miami. The service was great and the location was perfect. A short ride to South Beach. Best place to stay for a lovely weekend.

new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are very well appointed, and the staff is very helpful. But, the Spa is a Scam. I made an appointment for a facial, and after arriving was told that the services that I had arranged for could only be had if I paid for a significant upgrade in price -- despite the written descriptions in the Spa guide. Basically, I felt like I was at a car dealership. It was a bait and switch operation. To further enforce this impression, the manager was unapologetic about the scam, and coldly agreed to release the "non-refundable" deposit that was required for an appointment. It was a very disagreeable place, and I recommend avoiding it. To make things worse, the hotel management was unavailable to receive my complaint on the matter.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
MiamiBest, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, May 28, 2009
Thank you for your recent review of The Spa at Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. We sincerely apologize for your disappointing expereince in our Spa which is definitely not up to the levels of service we strive to provide to all our guests and garnered the Mobil Five Star Award.

Your comments are very important to us in addressing the issue that you indicated which will be followed up immediately with the Spa Management.

We thank you for taking the time to provide your comments, and hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Jorge Gonzalez
Miami Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

I just returned from a four night trip to the MO Miami. I loved absolutely everything especially how they referred to me by name. I had the dynasty suite and loved everything in the room... The only thing I was displeased with was the pool and Oasis beach club service. It seemed to be very slow. I love how they offer complimentary tastes of their homemade smoothies and water. The staff was very courteous and referred to me and my girlfriend by name. Room service was brought up quickly and the food was still very hot. All in all for the price and everything you get out of this hotel I've yet to find one in Miami that tops the MO.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!