“Beautiful hotel, great spa” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #4 of 113 Hotels in Miami
Orlando
“Beautiful hotel, great spa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

Beautiful hotel. Modern, great spa with awesome treatment rooms.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

When my husband and I mentioned to my father that we were planning to stay at The Mandarin Oriental he assured us we'd have a lovely stay and said "Mandarin Oriental really knows how to run a hotel!" We couldn't agree more.

From the moment we pulled into the driveway to the moment we left -- our stay was as perfect as it could be. Everything gets high marks: service, location, food, decor, view, cleanliness, quiet, spa, drinks at the bar, comfort of the bed, calm friendly professionalism of every staff person we encountered, etc, etc. We love it and can't wait to return.

When we arrived an affable professional porter immediately approached our car and offered us bottles of chilled water, gathered up our bags, escorted us to the check-in desk and handed us small glasses of iced tea. Check-in was a breeze and the upgrade that came with our room based upon availability was given to us without a snag.

The style is modern, sleek, contemporary, colorful and tasteful. Gorgeous and innovative while at the same time projecting a restful confidence.

Make time for the Spa because it rocks. And the food in the restaurant downstairs by the bay is delicious with sparkling fresh sushi, ceviche, lettuce wraps, sashimi and great drinks.

And, the martini bar adjacent to the third floor lobby reception area is a wonder -- 250 martinis all overseen by a terrific bartender who makes quite literally the best martinis that any of the 4 of us had ever tasted. He took the time to us what we like vis a vis flavor, sweetness, tartness and then he went away to create a tart fragrant ginger martini that I will be dreaming about for a long time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

My boyfriend and I take a sweet random weekend get-away to Miami for particular no reason. He decides to go out with friends, I decide to stay in. I go downstairs to the small beach pool area to the small sand area. I am by myself, not a lot people down there. A staff member comes to me, and ask "What am I doing here?" and demanded to know my room number AND see my key. I thought that was annoying. We haven't been there since. Really a turn off, it sucks. We used to stay there 4 times a year. Whatever.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
MiamiBest, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your stay. I sincerely apologize that your experience was not completely enjoyable due to the incident in the beach area. The beach is for the enjoyment of our hotel guests only, however the manner in which our staff inquired should have been conducted in a more professional manner. We will be sure to address this lapse in service to ensure it does not repeat itself.
We are delighted to discuss this further with you. Please feel free to contact our hotel's Executive Office.
orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

Having stayed at the New York City mandarin oriental many times before we decided to give the miami mandarin a try. Everything was up to par as far as mandarin standards go, beautiful loby, modern romes with great electronics, wonderful views. Location was great, it is located on a small island off the main portion of maimi, the island is private and i believe there are just a few high rise condominum complexes along with the mandarin, it's very private. My massage at the spa, while very expensive, was the best i've ever had.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

My husband and I stayed in the Mandarin Oriental in Hawaii (before it changed hands) and loved the style and level of service there, so thought we would give Miami a chance. We were there for 3 nights.

Room—We specifically asked for a room without a connecting door, was assured at check in that the room we were assigned didn’t have one, and when we got there, there was the door AND a card addressed to another guest with a plate of chocolates for that guest. A bit bizarre---did we get someone else’s room? Why was there a connecting door when they were so confident there wasn’t? We called down and they changed the room, and our bellman handled it all with ease, but it delayed our getting comfortable/settling in. The room was beautiful, beds comfy, and quiet. In terms of the room layout, the only concern, although it wasn’t a problem for us, is that there is a large opening between the bathroom (sink/shower/tub) and the bedroom (toilet was enclosed in its own area). They had a shade that could come down, but if you weren’t with your spouse, it may be a little strange to hear someone in there showering and using the sink. Turn down service was excellent.

Staff---friendly, helpful, welcoming.

Beach---So it’s not a “real” beach but a large man-made sanded area on the intercoastal--- there’s plenty of sand to feel like a beach, but you can’t go in the water. But it met our need to lie out in the sun, the big beds are wonderful. It wouldn’t appeal to children. It’s located on the major thoroughfare for boats leaving the harbor. Nice to see the boats, big and small, go by, but there was a frequent smell of fuel. There was a lack of service on the beach---all 3 days there was no one there to set us up and we needed to go back to the pool to get someone. We were never approached on the beach to see if we needed water/drinks/food. Obviously this was not the level of service we expected or have experienced at other hotels at this level.

Restaurants---All food was wonderful. The sushi in particular was stellar. Because this is a very international hotel, we were one of the few tables speaking English at any meal---this wasn’t a problem, but may be for those used to a more American atmosphere.
Wine list seemed to be limited with a focus on California and European wines. The only white we drink are Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand, but there wasn’t even one on the menu. A short walk over the bridge brings you to a few nice restaurants (we went to Rosa Mexicana---excellent margaritas and guacamole). Azure was great.

Pool---we didn’t spend any time at the pool. It was “intimate” (small) and not what you would expect from a resort. There was constant music there, which we found irritating. This seems to be a bad trend at many even high-end resorts---it’s unlikely that everyone at the pool likes the same music, and most people travel with iPods these days, so it’s an irritating waste.

Fitness Center---was well equipped for weight lifting, which is what we wanted.

Spa--- I usually get a massage twice per month at home, so I am always interested in the quality at a high end hotel’s spa. I got a 50 minute massage and it was just OK; she seemed to spend a lot of time on pressure points, not really massaging. They went on to me that they just got some elevated rating for spas but I found that the common areas were new, but not unusual or anything special (common sauna and steam room, two showers that had a curtain, not really private. The one I was in wasn’t clean and had a draining problem). I was not invited to use the shower in the massage room.

Overall---A mixed bag, what was positive was great. Given the size of the pool and the beach, this isn’t really a resort for families.

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

We just returned from a fantastic weekend trip to the Mandarin Oriental-Miami. This was our best experience ever in a hotel. Service and attention to detail was the best we have ever experienced. From the time we dropped our car with the valet on Brickel Key until we checked out, we were treated like VIPS. The room was wonderful.The view from our balcony was breathtaking. We saw the boats sail through Biscayne Bay. Everything about this hotel is world class. It was such a unique experience, very different from the "chains". The room included: bathrobes, a Bose radio, stocked bar, pillows with goose down feathers, clear glass shower etc. We ate dinner at both restaurants. Azul is the eclectic restaurant with food prepared by chefs. Cafe Sambel is the "daily" place with out of this world food. We were delighted in how our food was presented and prepared in unique ways. I had the Hot Stone massage at the Spa and it was the best massage I have ever had. We went swimming in the "Infinity" Pool and had drinks afterward on the deck. We also sun bathed at their private white sand beach under palm trees. We will remember this trip for a long time This place is expensive no doubt, however, for a SPECIAL experience this is a place to consider. I choose this hotel because it was ranked #1 in Miami, and I now know why. Think of this as an investment in your relationship.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Miami
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

I visited this hotel and was turned away by security and staff. We were harassed. Worse hotel I have ever been to. Too much hype. If your not a celebrity, stay away because you will not be treated with the same respect.

• Stayed March 2009
MiamiBest, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, March 27, 2009
Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your stay. I sincerely apologize that your stay on this occasion was a disappointing one. We pride ourselves on extending the best quality of service to all of our guests and ensuring that they have a most enjoyable stay. We will certainly look into the inconveniences you experienced and take corrective measures to make sure such lapses in service do not repeat themselves.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Coconut Grove
Viceroy Miami
Viceroy Miami
#14 of 113 in Miami
4.0 of 5 stars 1,108 reviews

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!