“Luxurious and Hip!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 131 hotels in Miami
West Palm Beach, FL
“Luxurious and Hip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

This is a very stylish modern hotel. The views are stunning! My husband and I went for my birthday. This is the second time we have stayed here. The first time was for our honeymoon. The hotel is perfect! The only neg comment I can make is that the rooms are a little pricey. Other than that, this place will make you feel like a jet setter!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

1,032 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2009

The Mandarin is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed at. We stayed the night before we went on a cruise for our honeymoon and it was wonderful. Valet was very attentive. Don't expect to open any door for yourself. The guest service desk was very informative. The concierge desk was wonderful. The room was great and they set up a romantic scene for us while we were out with rose petals and chocolate covered strawberries and plenty of extra soaps for us to bubble bath. A personal note from the manager and a flower. The staff brought up our bags to the room. The bed is comfy. Only downside was the tv was small and the round kind, not plasma. The room has a cordless phone, mini bar with lots of bottles if you don't want to leave your room. The bathroom is open to the bed area and our room had a beautiful view of the water and the city. The best part of our stay was that we were getting ready to leave and we discovered that we needed a new battery and memory card for our camera and we asked concierge where the nearest camera shop was and he sent someone up to our room to get the camera and an hour later returned the camera, the battery and a memory card. They went out and got it for us! They didn't charge us to go and get it, only the cost of the items were added to our bill upon check out. There's nothing they wouldn't do for you. It was awesome. I checked out the pool area but didn't use it. I didn't visit the spa or any of the restaurants but it was still excellent. I wish we would've stayed there longer. :)

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Charge to use internet
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

I stayed at the MO Miami a couple of years ago. At that time, I would say it was fantastic. Sadly, this trip did disappoint. The views of course are still spectacular, and the rooms are nice. The quality of the toiletries in the rooms fell dramatically, to the level one would expect at a Marriott rather than a $450 per day room.. The tv was the old, large kind. There was a small sign in front of it stating that the hotel was in the process of upgrading to Flat screens. One stop at Best Buy could do that in a flash. At first glance the room appeared clean, but when I had to use the room phone, I noticed how really filthy the device was, Yuck.

The food was mediocre. I ordered room service with seafood fried rice. There were a few large pieces of shrimp and lobster placed dramatically on top of a squared shaped mound of fried rice. The rice was ordinary at best, the only nod to extravagance was the replacement of peas with edamame.

Will I stay again? No thanks. Poor value in spite of the great views.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — poor value for money
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MiamiBest, Management at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, January 26, 2009
Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know about your stay. I sincerely apologize that your stay on this occasion was a disappointing one. Your comments are very important to us in addressing areas that need to be corrected. We can offer no excuses for the service lapses you mentioned, only our assurance that we will work very diligently to correct these deficiencies.

We are delighted to discuss this further with you. Please feel free to email us at Email-Momia-ExecutiveOffice@mohg.com

Jorge Gonzalez
Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2009

My absolute favorite hotel in Miami
I frequently visit Miami and had the chance to stay in several hotels. Having spent 30 nights there over the course of the past 3 years, the Mandarin is my favorite. The main drawback as most people familiar with Miami know is that the hotel does not have a real beach. Also, the pool is a little small. Other than those two things, the hotel is excellent. The staff are very good. Very helpful and friendly. While the staff at Café Sambal are quite good, they can try to be a little more proactive. For example, at breakfast they see me carrying several plates from the buffet back to my table for my kids and they don’t volunteer to help me, however, when I ask them they do it very eagerly. At breakfast (especially during holidays) it gets crowded and the service can be slow and a little frustrating. The room service menu is VERY limited after 11pm. They are in the process of upgrading the AV equipment and during my most recent stay the equipment in the connecting room for my kids was upgraded but not in the suite. The SPA is AMAZING one of the best in the world. The ambiance is very relaxed. One of the things I look for in a spa is a separate locker/shower from the gym and the pool and at the Mandarin spa the facilities are top notch. They have a large number of treatment room and therapists on hand so getting an appointment is not a challenge. Even though it does not have a real beach its is on a small key/island and is very well integrated with the surroundings. There is a very pleasant walkway circling the island and it’s a good 30 min walk. There is a small park with kids playground that the island residents use and my kids love going there. The concierge were very helpful in making my arrangements but they really put a big surcharge on transport and car hire. The hotel has an amazing lobby with breathtaking views of the ocean and the Miami skyline. During prior stays it was very lively with good food and beverage service and live entertainment (afternoon/evening), however, during my most recent stay I hardly noticed any live entertainment or food service. I found out coincidently that the hotel has an arrangement with a nice beach club on Miami beach (South Beach) which hotel guests can use, however, I wish they made this more obvious. Overall, its an excellent hotel, with some room for improvement.

• Liked — Location on Brickel Key
  • Disliked — Small pool
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

I'd give this hotel four and a half points if half points were possible!. I've subtracted half a point merely because the hotel is expensive, and you will need to get a cab whenever you want to go out to the shops or bars (south beach is around 20 minutes drive). BUT if you're happy to relax in the hotel - or if you're a business traveller - it's perfect. You cannot fail to feel pampered and relaxed.

We thought the service was impeccable and I was surprised to read some of the negative comments. Every member of staff (front desk, spa staff and pool staff) were focused on making sure we had a comfortable stay. We loved the complimentary smoothie samples by the side of the pool!! I would also recommend Azul (the hotel restaurant) which serves delicious asian fusion food and fantastic wine.

• Liked — Restaurant, pool, service
  • Disliked — Location, given that we were on holiday and wanted to be near shops & restaurants
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2008

We just completed a seven night stay at the Mandarin in Miami. Overall we were pleased with the stay but felt the hotel did not live up to our expectation of service from a Mandarin. Noone ever addressed us by name. I thought that was a signature for Mandarin. The service is definitely on the cold side except for the housekeepers They worked very hard and were always asking us if everything was okay and if we needed anything. They were just great.

Front Desk left a lot to be desired, especially considering the usual standards of Mandarin Hotels. We asked on numerous occassions that the luggage needed to be brought up, but time and after time they forgot and we had to call and ask again.

One morning we were awakened in error by a wake up call that was meant for another room. They apologized for the error.

The hotel lobby and pool grounds are beautiful. The rooms are medium size, well appointed, and views are okay, nothing too great. There is construction going on next to the hotel and there are two big construction cranes. We could see one of the cranes from our room.

The food and drinks at the pool were pretty good but nothing fabulous.

I did not see anyone using the pool with the palm trees in it. They never offered to set our chairs up in that pool as it pictured on the web site photos. The pool with the palm trees is much smaller that you would think from looking at the web site photos.

The hotel is a great respite from the constant action on South Beach. Every time I entered the hotel I felt like I was in my own sanctuary. Very quiet, great smells fill the air, it really is a relaxing environment.

Free bottles of water at the valet desk and use of hotel umbrellas is also a nice touch.

We went to the health club on a few days, it is very large and seems to have all the equipment one could need. The views of the city are nice, expect for the building across the stree that is under construction.

We spent a lot on cabs, but felt the cab service we received was very good.

We secured a great room rate throught Travelocity, we paid $200/night for all seven nights.

We enjoyed our stay but really have to say that we were disappointed that the hotel did not meet our preconceived notion of Mandarin service standards.

• Stayed November 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

I recently stayed 4 nights at the Mandarin Oriental in Miami and to be honest I’m glad it was only 4 nights. True the hotel is a spectacular building in a fabulous location however the moment you enter you can’t help but feel that something is missing. The entrance lobby is has floor to ceiling glazing which offers fantastic views across the bay but little else. The large open space doubles as the hotel bar which lacks any kind of atmosphere, that been said, the rooms are large and very comfortable with fantastic bathrooms and great views from the balcony.

The pool area is small and the pool (almost an infinity pool) is not heated and is consequently pretty cold. Incidentally the comments from other tripadvisor reports is unfortunately inaccurate, the service around the pool area is not just poor its pretty much non-existent. On all but one occasion I had to make up my own sun lounger and get my own drinks from the bar, my only comfort was the fact that this was the case for most pool users, unless they happened to look like a movie star or a model.

With the exception of a couple of the valet parking guys I would best describe the Mandarin’s staff as being aloof and unhelpful.

There are on two restaurants plus pool café at the Mandarin which given the fact that it’s located on an island and a good walk 10 min walk from alternatives, means that choice is strictly limited. Despite this fact the food is very good, expensive but very good. I would strongly advise making a reservation at the Azul restaurant as this does get very busy especially over the weekend. A great alternative to the hotel restaurants is the Island Market Place, a small super market / deli that serve good coffee and hot food as well as some fantastic sandwiches. The Island market place is a short walk form the hotel towards the centre of Brickell Key – I would urge you to try it.

On a number of occasions I found myself being disappointed by the Mandarin. These disappointments largely relating to the fact that I felt I was being exploited. For example;
•there are no tea and coffee making facilities in the rooms or complimentary drinks in the lobby which means if you fancy a drink you have to pay $7 for a coffee from the restaurant.
• Distilled water was placed in the rooms however if you wanted spring water it was in the mini bar and was chargeable – penny pinching!
• Internet access was charged at $15 a day.

I would expect the above to be complimentary in any half-descent hotel, but for some reason the Mandarin considers itself to be far too superior to offer these amenities to its guests.

The Mandarin Oriental Miami could be a fantastic hotel it has a great location and has good rooms however the attitude of the hotel staff really lets this place down. If I go back to Miami I’ll be staying elsewhere.

• Liked — good size comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — aloof staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!