“The food and service are great, the music not so much!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #8 of 130 hotels in Miami
Coconut Grove, FL
“The food and service are great, the music not so much!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had dinner here for my birthday last week. Everything was delicious, well presented. Our waiter, Eduardo, was very good, he knew about every dish. My husband has a food allergy and Eduardo made sure that none of the dishes contained that ingredient. They brought our desser, picarones, with a candle but no tacky singing which was great. The only thing I did not like was the music, I don't know what exactly they were trying to convey, it was not peruvian or anything, just horrible noise. But all in all our experience was excellent and we will be back. Oh! and to top it all, it is not really expensive, very reasonable. They could offer to validate your parking since it is $13 and you have no other choice but to leave your car with the valet.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

1,101 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
ny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I booked this hotel for one night before we left on a cruise from the Port of Miami. It's more of an upscale business traveler hotel, rather than a resort. My main reason for selecting this hotel was that each room has it's own terrace & beautiful views of the water & city.
The Bad: We had a terrace & beautiful Miami views but no outdoor furniture on the terrace-thus we couldn't sit out there & enjoy it. Had I been staying longer than 24 hours, I would have asked for a room change. Also, there is no lobby store to buy the usual stuff one needs when traveling-soda, chips, newspapers, magazines, hair spray. There is a small supermarket off the property which one can walk to-but it was hot out there! The hotel pool is rather ordinary but has a nice bar.
The Good: I made up for my lack of outdoor terrace furniture by relaxing on the hotel's own private beach-which is spectacular! Good views of Miami & Key Biscayne & a hotel worker made
sure I was comfortably set up with a nice lounge chair, umbrella, cold water and a daiquiri. I was
back to being a satisfied guest. There is also a nice park & walking path all around the hotel with more spectacular water views. When we decided to go to a late lunch, we didn't want to leave the hotel, so we ate late lunch at La Mar-a Peruvian restaurant off the lobby. We were able to enjoy our meal outdoors on the patio & while we had never tried peruvian food before, we loved all the dishes we ordered-sliders, empanadas, & chicken skewers. It was so good that my husband then ordered a second round of sliders. Fresh fruit sorbet completed the meal. We didn't miss the usual greasy hamburgers & fries most hotel's offer & what we originally were searching for!
Some may be put off by a strange combo between the room & bathroom consisting of a huge opening between the bathroom wall & the bedroom, but there is a shade which can be closed if one wants more privacy. Both lobby & hotel room were beautifully furnished & very impressive.

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy your terrace, make sure it's one that includes outdoor furniture. Many had...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

My wife and I just checked out of the MO, Miami, FL.

I had been a guest there in the past on business, for my wife it was her first time.

Issues with the stay:

1. Staff could be rude at times

2. Improper turn down service - we had a table full of dirty plates etc from room service so we requested it be removed and turn down service be completed upon our return. We arrived at our room at 1 am ready to just go to bed and turn in, however, the room smelled of old food as the turn down staff left the entire table behind with all the dirty plates etc.

3. Room was not adequately appointed- We were missing a bath robe, and other small items like slippers etc. Again at $600+ rates per night that is not really what you expect.

4. Front Desk Staff
The front desk staff at check in was wonderful as expected at any five star resort. It was a gentleman, i think Sebastian, who was accommodating at our request for a speedy check in as we were late for a function with business associates.

Request for early check in was denied and late check out was very "fishy".
We know early check in cannot be guaranteed, however, Christie could be a bit more helpful in at least trying to accommodate a request. Pretend it is at least an effort of some sort. We had our private concierge service with Fidelity call over to request that and was told that the Mandarin was less accommodating than even they had dealt with before. We did receive an email from Christie but no where on it showed the requests was acknowledged.

At check out we had the staff member Christy(Not sure if same as above) who was also most unhelpful. This attitudes seems to be contagious at this hotel among staff. Polite but not helpful.

The issue we brought to her attention was the valet parking. We have a handicap decal and at this hotel there is no option to self park. At every hotel in South Florida we have stayed at, that automatically is taken off our bill. ESPECIALLY if the hotel does not offer an alternative. With rates at $600+ per night, you would expect that a $28 dollar valet charge is something that would be at least discounted for a guest with special needs.

We spoke to Christy and she gave us the excuse of it being a third party etc. We have stayed at the 4-Star Eden Roc on South Beach and even there it was up to the hotel to compliment it- Which they did with ease. The principal of the matter is we are guest of MO not a third party valet company and that such be considered in dealing with this IMO.

I felt as if I was speaking to a wall here because it seemed unimportant to her to assist us with this and more important to prove us wrong in requesting that be waived or discounted.
To me, this was not five star service. It lacked that warmth, understanding and hospitality.
Maybe we are just spoilt by FS and Ritz and Peninsulas.

My wife did call and ask to speak with guest relations manager to leave a comment, and they were unavailable, so we spoke instead to Luis, Front Office Manager. Another unhelpful person. There was only silence when my wife explained the situation. No - "I am sorry you feel this strongly about it and we left it this way" Nothing. Instead in a cold way - "What is your room number? And..Let me see what a manager says and get back to you by email."

We love the zen feel of the asian inspired hotel here, however with this service, I would rather take my business and that of my company to a more appreciating hotel chain. Four Seasons for example.

Room Tip: We choose a deluxe room with Bay View. I have stayed in superior rooms as well. The deluxe is better...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the deficiencies experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team and take corrective measures.

We hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to turn around the negative impression left from your visit. Please contact the Executive Office and we will ensure your next visit is seamless and enjoyable.

Jorge Gonzalez
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Well located for pleasure in the City.
Some wonderful restaurants.
ShenFui settings in entrance and some rooms.
Love the oversize rooms, baths and so on. The suite we had,included a steam room and huge bath that filled with water from an overhead faucet.
Love the Harbour views, the small man made beach and watching Dolphins in the water.

Room Tip: Higher floors with water views are best.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

Perfect place to relax and enjoy the view.
There is a private beach which is so chic but you cannot dive into the water. It' s a pity! Worth to visit during night-time too.
Enjoyed so much the stylish décor, and the room distribution was perfect. The toiletries were so exquisite that I still smell its scent. Wonderful.
Dinning at La Mar is a must, and it's just there!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Was down in Miami for the "Ultra" concert and decided to stay at the Mandarin Oriental while chaperoning our daughter and friends. We thought it was a nice get away for my wife and myself for a weekend while the kids had fun at the concert. The Mandarin didn't disappoint. Attention to detail were the words for the day! The entire staff was great, going out of their way to make our stay the best it could be. The pool was great and service at the pool was also outstanding. So many times you go to the pool and the service is absolutely terrible, (can you say Hardrock!) Our room was alway kept in order and the bed covers were always pulled down at bed time. We ordered room service once and it was also done very well. The walk around the island was really nice and a highlight of the trip. We were even offered an upgrade but decided not to take it because it was on the top floor. I like the hotel, and would stay again, but just realize it's not inexpensive and everything is inflated to the point of being"over the top." It's what you expect being in Miami, I get it, but just make sure you're in the right mind set to spoil yourself and forget about being practical. When you can do that it's absolutely awesome!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Belem, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Excellent location, very polite staff, quiet place with great restaurants. The pool and spa are amazing. Totally worth it. Best hotel in Miami so far and Brickell is nowadays the best region to do everything.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!