“Truly wonderful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 129 hotels in Miami
Los Angeles, California
“Truly wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We ended up at this property after being "walked" from two other hotels due to overbookings. What can I say: I am grateful for the overbooking. This hotel is really wonderful. Yes, it has its design flaws with cramped public areas and a so-so lobby. But the rooms are large, bathrooms huge and spacious and the overall standard is what you'd expect from Mandarin Oriental.

My favorite part of our stay was the in-room coffeemaker, the best I've seen in any hotel yet. A dedicated FrancisFrancis Illy espresso machine with an assortment of great coffee varieties. I was surprised they provide Coffeemate as a dairy component; I'd think they can do better than this. I was also surprised there was no tea option in the room (although it is available in the lobby).

All in all this is a nice property and I would absolutely return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

1,128 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Boston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the MO Miami for a 3 night kidless break following the holidays. Overall the experience was a B but at A+ prices. I don't know the history of this building but I highly doubt it was originally a MO and despite their efforts, there are design/space issues that seem too much to overcome. Main issues:

1. Cramped main lobby area.
2. Very sad small lobby bar. Entrance to gym is literally behind this bar next to a serving station.
3. Total bottleneck by the elevators especially when they are serving breakfast.
4. Cramped, crowded and cement heavy outdoor pool/bar area. One of the least charming poolside bar areas I've ever seen in a hotel of this caliber. People sunbathing literally feet away from people eating lunch. The giant yellow cement wall behind the bar screams Soviet Black Sea resort.
5. Hotel lies directly under the flight path of Miami airport. Flights (I assume cargo) start at 4am!

• Stayed December 2013
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was not up to the standards we strive to provide to all our guests. We focus on maintaining and updating the guest rooms and décor while ensuring total comfort for all of our guests.

The hotel is undergoing an extensive refurbishment of its restaurants and lobby lounge area which will include a high end bar that is scheduled to open in mid-February.

We appreciate and respect your comments and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Jorge Gonzalez
Area Vice President
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is really nice, nice view to downtown, mainly in evenings. Area is nice, hotel beach vith nice view to dowtown on one side and bay view on other side. What's minus of this hotel nothing is on walking distance.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Oh - where to begin... I really wanted to like this property more but given the cost coupled with the numerous issues we experienced while here (we are checking out tomorrow), I regrettably have to say that the MO Miami has been disappointing. Quite disappointing, if compared to other MOs and other hotels in this league.

i. Reservations. Made a reservation on MO's website. Called hotel to change our dates. Never received confirmation email. Two days before leaving for Miami, finally received an email confirming our original, incorrect dates. Concerned, I called MO again and they said their website reservations and hotel reservations are not synched & that nothing could be done about this. Seriously?

ii. Room issues. We are staying in a suite priced at nearly $1,500/night. I informed reservations that we would be bringing our baby to this property and that i) we would appreciate if a few baby toys would kindly be prepared in advance of our arrival and more importantly, that ii) our room be situated far from others so that we would not disturb other guests.

Regarding the first point, no toys were prepared for our baby. Regarding the second, our suite has a door connecting to another guest's room. We can literally hear every conversation next door. And on our other side? We have a couple "in love" and their sessions are as audible as can be. Walls here are sadly very thin. Seriously?

Also, I'd like to add that our suite has a coffee machine that, if plugged in, causes all the lights in the room to flicker incessantly. We were forced to call engineering and they informed us that the power allocations to our room were not set up correctly so that we would be unable to use the coffee machine and have sufficient power to keep our lights steadily on. Seriously? Is this really a MO?

Moreover, while watching TV one evening, all the lights in our suite mysteriously turned off. Explanation? Our suite has motion detecting sensors. Apparently, everyone in our family is a real stiff.

Seriously? In a $1,500 suite at the MO?

iii) Housekeeping. Generally fine but over the course of four nights here, we've had turndown service twice. 50% - seriously?

iv) Concierge. We asked to have a rental car & babyseat reserved for us on day 1. So what happened? Next day, neither were reserved. Thankfully, there a few staff members who were able to rectify this problem. But once again, issues, issues, issues. Seriously.

On the flipside, the restaurant service was good and the doormen also were fine.

Again, I came here really wanting to love this property but as we're preparing to head back to NYC tomorrow, it is abundantly clear to me that we will regrettably not return to the MO Miami again (as such, no need to respond to this letter stating that next time will be better).

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the deficiencies experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team and take corrective measures.

We hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to turn around the negative impression from your visit. Please contact the Executive Office and we will ensure your next visit is seamless and most enjoyable.

Jorge Gonzalez
Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My experience in this hotel was great !!! I love this hotel, the price is high but worth every penny .
I stayed here long time ago for almost 2 month .
Very safe place to stay far from busy Miami life .
In Miami you need a car to go around so if you stayed here the car with cost you parking like 20US and more .

Stayed December 2013
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This hotel is excellent in so many ways. First the location on a small island in the very center of downtown Miami allows it to be "in the hub" and "detached" at the same time. Brickell Key is a very high end location and the hotel takes full advantage of that. Next the hotel is contemporary and elegant with a stunning lobby area of high ceilings and full walls of windows looking out at the Miami skyline. The rooms are large (around 400 square feet), superbly maintained, beautifully designed, and are roughly priced according to desired view preferences. But the most impressive thing about this hotel was the level of service of the staff. All people we dealt with from bellmen, front desk staff, restaurant staff, pool staff, housekeepping, were all well trained and truly professional in their various jobs. Management should be commended for crafting a staff this good. The small private "beach" area is truly an urban oasis and was delightful. The Azul restaurant was also wonderful with a very nice menu and made for a great dinner experience. I love hotels that pay attention to the small details of hotel operations as much as the principal ones and in this regard M.O. Miami impressed me time and again. Breakfast was being served in the lobby bar area as the usual restaurant was being redone. However, you would have never known that anything was different as things certainly didn't looked "temporary". The quality of the buffet was excellent and worth adding to your room rate when booking. Yes this is an expensive property but it was worth every cent in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My company held a conference here and I have been back to stay since on a business trip. All in all pretty faultless. The quality of service is what really sets this hotel apart because the decor can feel a little bit retro. The location is spectacular and feels set apart from downtown Miami. It feels like a top class resort hotel right next to Brickell avenue. Perfect for business because you can escape work in the evening.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!