“Sophisticated retreat from South Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #7 of 131 hotels in Miami
Houston, Texas
“Sophisticated retreat from South Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

I am fan of the Mandarin Oriental brand with the Mandarin Oriental Hong Kong perhaps my favorite hotel. The brand excels in luxurious modern design and service. The Miami Mandarin is another very attractive property with all of their subtle Asian influences. It was always going to appeal to me by having a Shanghai Tang boutique on site which I think is now perhaps the only one in the US. We stayed with our child in a 6th floor Deluxe Veranda Room. Again it was a very attractive room with the nice design touch of the bath looking into the sleeping area via a large opening (looks better than the way I describe it...). Beautiful sweeping view of the Bay and Miami city (versus South Beach). Ours was a brief visit to break up a drive down to the Keys so we really only had time to enjoy our room and breakfast the following morning in the their lobby restaurant. If you will spend some time either as a family or romantically I think a view such as we had is well worth the money. Based on my previous Miami experiences within the middle of the nightlife districts, I can see distinct advantages to be being able to restreat the short distance to the island on which the hotel is located with its zen-like soothing atmosphere (a good contrast to the action). Room service and breakfast were both very good as would be expected.

Our visit did however coincide with a run of bad luck for the hotel for a couple of different services... The fire alarm on our floor activated early in the evening due to a technical error, the inroom movie services encountered some issues and a dish was forgotten from a room service order. Quite the number of department managers called us to apologize and it was pretty obvious that they were horrified at the combination of events. Their response to these issues was very satisfactory with various adjustments and I do believe it was an unusual combination of events. Without these factors I am pretty sure I would have given five stars or if the system allowed at perhaps four and a half even with events.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

1,032 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Albany, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Not much to add to the expectation of excellence (which was met in all areas), except that you should know in advance that this hotel is truly in the city of Miami. That means it is in an urban setting. It sits on the bay, so it is somewhat removed from the urban hustle. Yes, it has a nice pool, but there are no beaches, and the views are of either the bay in one direction, or the city scape in the other.
The rooms are perfect in every detail. The food was just great. The service was professional from the front desk to the poolside wait staff.
I've stayed in the Mandarin Oriental hotels in various cities in the USA and abroad. You just can't go wrong with this extraordinary chain.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Great location to have mimosas and mojitos...with great appetizers and entrees..
Great service in the sun! (today was a little cloudy) :)
Keep up the great work! Nice way to finish the Thanksgiving digestion.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
emeraldisle,nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I have to say our experience was fantastic...from start to finish. The staff very well trained in how to truly take care of the customer. Always addressed by name by staff. We were there for a long weekend. We enjoyed the breakfast in the lobby area, the wonderful barista, lunch poolside and dinner at the bar in Azul. Service excellent.
As for the complaint as to expense we ate at a Bistro on Brickell and the prices were comparable. We enjoyed sitting waterside. Saw rays, manatees, green parrots and iguanas.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Panama city, Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Just on the water so a really nice view. I guess for me the service was the part that made the difference. Meeting rooms were open, spacious. Good facilities in the room, modern and the airco worked well.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cupertino, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

my recent experience which i am sad to say will be the last time i ever stay at this hotel.....

check in problems to over charging and unauthorized charges..

all started during booking...i had a flight time arrival change..which i promptly sent to hotel advising them....got a confirmation back ok..

but then i recent a 2 day before hello email from hotel saying original time for checking and meeting at airport....

i enquire as well as asked about early check in costs and was appalled when they said they could guarantee me early check in if i pay an additional nights fee.....which by the way was 500 per night..how dare they!!!!! i have stay at over a thousand hotels over the years and not once has a hotel ever charged me more than 60 dollars for early check in...espcecially a 3 hour early time...wow

then our room was not cleaned or completely ready when we got there...we went to room and 2 hours after a service lady checking bar supply's did a count of items inside and indicated she was late doing it for what ever reason..guess what.we get charged 50 dollars for stuff we did not take......again how dare they..

then when i get home i check my bank visa statement and they charged my account and not my credit card...plus padded bill with bar charges and a ridiculous fee for service authorization i have never heard of then then tell me to deal with my bank on some stupid return process...

Mandarin i will never stay in your hotels ever again and this is definatelly the last time in miami for sure.....your have ruined my expectations and i have no further dealings with you..

shame on you!!!!!!

to those considering staying at the mandarin in miami...copy everything..double check and get peoples names and only speak to this win charge........

very insulting to say the least..

dan

Room Tip: chose a room tha thaw been cleaned and always check the bar to see if anything is missing when you a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the deficiencies experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team and take corrective measures.

We hope you will reconsider and give us another opportunity to turn around the negative impression left from your visit. Please contact the Executive Office and we will ensure your next visit is seamless and enjoyable.

Jorge Gonzalez
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here however for me I found the location really more suited to a business trip than leisure. Service was excellent apart from a queue to check in which after a long flight one can do without. I found the spa quite disappointing- expensive for what it it. I guess having stayed in other Mandarin Hotels around the world it lacked the wow factor for me.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I will address the lapses in service you encountered with the front office and Spa staff. I regret that we did not provide the level of service we strive to extend to all our guests and I apologize for the inconvenience experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team and make immediate improvements.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope you will reconsider and visit us again in the not too distant future.

Jorge Gonzalez

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!