“Upscale Business Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 129 hotels in Miami
Chicago, Illinois
“Upscale Business Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

I would describe this hotel as an upscale business hotel; perhaps not the hotel you want to stay in during vacation.

Hotel/Rooms: Hotel has a nice big lobby but looks a bit dated as do the rooms. The restaurants in the hotel are going through renovation. Breakfast was served in the lobby/café area and although Azul was open, it had a limited menu.

Rooms are fine. They have an open plan with the bathroom (i.e. there is no wall separating bathroom from the room). For privacy in the bathroom, there are blinds you can pull down. Personally, I am not a fan of this layout.

Service: The service, while it is good, is not as attentive as you might expect from a 5-star hotel and is definitely nowhere close to the levels I have experienced at the Mandarin Oriental properties in Asia. We had some service issues during the first 24 hours of our stay and my husband spoke to the front desk manager about them. After the conversation, I think the staff made an extra effort with us and the rest of our stay was quite pleasant. The best service we experienced was at breakfast.

We booked a stay at this hotel using Amex FHR which entitled us to a number of benefits. I went through our final bill and found that most of the benefits were not applied to our invoice and we were overcharged by ~$500. This occurred despite having confirmed the benefits with the same attendant at check-in and also providing her a copy of our email reservation which she kept in the file. She handled the errors professionally but it just took some time to go through everything with her to make sure we were charged appropriately.

Pool/Beach: Pool is very small. During a busy labor day weekend, we opted for beach area instead. The beach is artificial/man-made and there is no direct water access. This was a bit of disappointment for us but we should have done our research in advance. Service in the beach area is generally quite slow and it is tough to get the attention of the attendants. If you are going to Miami to hang out at the beach, this is not the hotel for you.

Location: Not a criticism of the hotel, but it is located downtown away from the popular tourist spots like South Beach. I am glad we rented a car as it took us 20-30 minutes to get to restaurants, beach and shopping. For those looking to avoid the crowds and enjoy peace and quiet, this hotel is in a good location.

Gym/Spa: Gym is well-equipped. I got a massage at the spa. It was fine – not the best or worst I’ve experienced.

Internet: $12 per day

1,124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

What an amazing hotel. My wife and I spent 8 nights here at the beginning of September and loved every minute of our stay. The staff are very attentive, particularly Wayne Marshall who went out of his way to make this vacation one of our best ever. Wayne introduced himself at the beginning of our stay when he popped in to make sure that we were satisfied with the cleanliness of our room. He has a passion for his work and an eye for detail that makes him an exceptional employee. Nothing was too much trouble for Wayne, who even presented us with a framed photograph of the wonderful views of the bay on our last day.

The secluded section of private beach, and the swimming pool are usually quiet and are ideal for anyone who wants a nice relaxing break away from the hustle and bustle of south beach.

My only complaints are the lack of free wifi, and the poor selection of hot food at the temporary lobby breakfast area

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the bay with balcony furniture
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Absolutely outstanding. If you want to feel like a celebrity the atmosphere and service are impeccable. The facility is beautiful and scenery can't be beat. Make use of the concierge for planning dinner! My only complaints are no free wifi... It was about 15 dollars for 24 hours!

• Stayed August 2013
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Mandarin is a magic word in hotels, having been to Hong Kong, New York and Miami. This particular hotel has had the very best management ( I think the GM has been there forever). I believe that would be Mr. Gonzalez.

Beginning with reservations, where they remember you and and communicate, and help with the room you want. This was Ms. Pamela.

It is the people, the staff, that make a great hotel, especially when the physical facilities are the best that money and taste can buy. The hotel is gorgeous, the architecture superb, and they have a garden and separate pool area on the Bay.

The reception is flawless. They are refurbishing the hotel cafe' and the main restaurant, Azul, remains open and is excellent.

The location is convenient, easy route to the airport, and close to South Beach, and in the middle of Brickell, the most interesting all around boulevard in Miami.

Room Tip: For only a few dollars more, ask for the Bay view.
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Recently stayed at the Mandarin Oriental for three nights in August. The property wasn't too full given the summer months and we got a high floor room with a great view of downtown via AmEx's FHR program. I liked the layout of the room - very open concept with a large cutout in the wall that opened the tub to the bedroom (this cutout also has a retractable shade for non-couples). Shanghai Tang amenities were great quality but unfortunately we had to request a refills of certain things during our stay. The hairdryer was quite good according to my fiance which is normally an issue for her. The shower had some issues draining when we arrived but after mentioning it to the desk, the issue was very quickly resolved. The bed was very comfortable with nice pillows and above average (for the star level) bedding. Ample power outlets but light switches were in odd places.

The property itself is located on Brickell Key which seems to be a love/hate issue for people. I personally loved it. As a tourist, I specifically booked outside of South Beach for the tranquility and that expectation was certainly fulfilled. The pool is a little small given the fact that the artificial beach doesn't have water access but the service is very attentive around the pool with active water service.

While I didn't use it, my fiance's mani/pedi she got at the spa was very high quality with prices to match (not that we were surprised). The attached fitness center was spacious with ample equipment and bottled water. The little running map provided in the room was nice for guests otherwise unfamiliar with the area and was appreciated. The door staff even had water for me upon my return.

Unfortunately the normal on property restaurants were closed for renovations, so breakfast is adjacent to the lobby and piano player. Through the FHR program, we received ample breakfast credits between the two of us. Each day the food was very high quality and the service great. However, upon checkout, we thought that the charges were balanced correctly, but we ended up being charged despite this as I discovered on my statement after checking out. After emailing with the team at the MO, the charges were eventually reversed. The matter was dealt with in a very professional manner and the staff were understanding and not accusatory in any way.

Overall, I can't say enough about the staff. Everyone was responsive, polished, and professional. The valet drivers are quick and they left water for us in the car. There were a few minor issues that were resolved and I really wish I could rate a 4.5 instead of a 4. I'm a Hyatt Platinum and Starwood Gold and this was actually my first stay at any MO. My overall experience has certainly led me to think highly of the brand for future areas without good Hyatt/SPG coverage. Definitely will return when I'm in Miami.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The staff was attentive and pleasant. The room was silent at night- wonderful for sleeping. Drinks outside came with a great view. The spa was well appointed and the massage was excellent. I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: When I booked through AMEX they upgraded me three levels to a fantastic room. If you can, see if yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Kokomo, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My 1st experience at a lux hotel & It was worth the price!!This was an overnight stay for my 2 granddaughters & my aunt while we were waiting for our cruise vacation. We chose to splurge on a Girls Night Out In Miami & I'm glad we decided on this lux hotel!! The only thing I didn't like was internet services were not free.

Room Tip: The breakfast buffet was delicious but very pricey.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!