“Overall a great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Helden, The Netherlands
“Overall a great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Mandarin hotel chain is something different. Service level is very high. This is in general also the case in this hotel. However, a few departments seem not to work very well. The arrival and check in was great. Also the bell staff is doing a great job and so does the concierge. Also our compliments to the room maids! We had some problems with the pool staff, but not with all the pool staff. Some were great, some of the staff members weren't so service minded. In the hotel bar it was the same. 2 great guys, but the rest was slow and not interested. The same we experienced at the breakfast. If you choose a la carte, you need to wait quit some time (30 mins) for your order (and the restaurant was really not full). So I think there is some work to do here. Especially when you visited the MO in Las Vegas or another MO, this Mandarin is lacking a bit of service compared to them. In general our stay was fantastic. The hotel has a nice pool area, a great private beach (you can't swim here) and offers a great view on the city. The rooms are well maintained, are spacious and have great bathrooms. It is really a very comfortable hotel. We will definitely come back and hope then to experience that they do something with the lack of service in some departments. Because when you pay a lot of money, you expect that everyting is perfectly alright.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a pretty nice view. Complete bay view, or city view with a partial bay view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Salvador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This trip was very important as it was planned a long time in advance for our 25th anniversary.
We normally stay in South Beach when travelling to Miami, but this time I wanted a good hotel with a very good restaurant.
Regular guest in several Mandarin Oriental hotels all over the world, I was seduced by the fact that Azul restaurant was one of the best options in Miami for a very special occasion. I had a look at their menu on the hotel’s website and was seduced by the options, perfectly adapted for an amazing gastronomic experience.
So I booked the MO Miami for 3 nights around our anniversary date and of course booked a table for our commemoration dinner.
The very charming and professional person I was in contact with during all the process of the booking was completely informed of how important that dinner would be, reason of my choice to stay at this hotel.
A few weeks before our arrival, she informed that some reform of the other hotel’s restaurant, Café Sambal, would happen during our stay, but without interfering with Azul operation for our special dinner.
When we checked-in, obviously everybody was aware of our reservation at Azul for the following night, and of the purpose of our trip.
When we went to Azul to enjoy our dinner experience, we were first surprised by the fact that the appearance of the place had changed from the photos on the website, being much more casual and simple. We order a very good and expensive Champagne to start our anniversary dinner and asked for the menu.
What a terrible deception to look at the one page only menu, reduced to the minimum of very simple options, nothing at all gastronomic! A kind of Bistrot…
The restaurant manager confirmed at this moment that, because of the reform of their other restaurant, Azul operation has been changed for something simple, but we never have been informed of that, at any moment, before our arrival or after. This is absolutely not acceptable and terribly disappointing from an hotel of this reputation.
Of course we cancelled our dinner at Azul immediately and went to Truluck’s, very close from the MO, where, very luckily, we finally had our amazing expected dinner.
Unfortunately it should have taken place at Azul.

This being explained, we must say that the hotel is very nice, our room very large and comfortable on the last floor, with a bottle of champagne waiting for us and rose petals spread over the bed and the bathtub, very romantic. The staff is nice but not as much as MO staff in other properties like in Asia (nobody showed us our room). The pool is pleasant, but what a deception to see that the pool bar close at 6pm: you can’t have any drink or cocktail by the pool in the evening, when it’s the best moment…
Valet parking and Wi-Fi are charged very expensively…
In order to turn around the negative experience we had at Azul, my contact for the reservation decided to offer us a complimentary one hour treatment in The Couples Suite at The Spa. Of course it was very nice from her, but it came a bit too late. The SPA experience was very agreeable.

If I had evaluated our stay just after Azul’s horrible experience, for sure I would had put the worst note.
But is it fair to judge a 3 nights stay, with beautiful room, special attention for our anniversary, nice installation, professional staff worried about transforming our disappointment, only because of one, but big, mistake?
Being part of the hospitality business too, we know that incidents may happen, communication problems are possible, but what is making the difference is to feel that the staff is worried about you and will finally make everything to make your stay the most enjoyable.
That’s why we decided to put a very good evaluation, but not an excellent, to the MO Miami.

Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you happen to be in Miami this summer - and if you want to experience the very best Hotel in the Magic City, spend a weekend at this location ---- at half the price they charge during the season! The Mandarin Oriental in Miami (the City's only 5-Star Hotel - hard to imagine in a city the size of Miami) does not disappoint in any way!

Situated on the shore of Biscayne Bay, this incredible Hotel offers a Guest the best of everything! No detail is overlooked and every possible effort is made to make the Guest's experience exceed their expectations.

Let's start with the Lobby : a fantasy of fragrance and a treat to behold. It is sleek, sophisticated and very, very chic!! The impeccably uniformed Bellman and Front Desk Staff are courteous, multilingual and are there only to enhance the Guest's experience. They set the tone for the entire Hotel - and they do it brilliantly. Speedy and efficient Valet service is available (at a pricy $36.00 per night) or you can choose to self-park in the Hotel's adequate and nearby parking lot.

The rooms are to die for! Each is extremely spacious, beautifully and newly decorated, spotlessly clean and have dramatic views of the Bay. We were in Room #1017 and had a "Bay View" which was out-of-this-world. Each room is equipped with the normal items, desks, chairs, a couch, etc. but the flat screen TV was huge - with perfect local and cable connections. The room is wired for easy plug-in availability for various electronic charging needs and the shower pressure was terrific - especially for a city hotel. The lighting, hues and stone work make this just the perfect location to rest and to restore.

If you have the time, the Mandarin Oriental has a world-class Spa (voted the Best Spa in south Florida). It is, truly, an experience you should have while at this Hotel.

We chose to dine elsewhere in the Miami area but the Hotel also boasts highly-rated restaurants right on the first floor.

We spent some time relaxing by the knock-out looking infinity pool which seems to just drop off the edge into the Bay. The chaise lounges, umbrellas and fluffy towels make it impossible to want to leave this location. The Staff at the pool are very attentive and some lite bites can be ordered pool-side (along with any beverages or drinks you may wish to sip). The place is just amazing.

The bottom line is that if you want to experience the very best of what Miami has to offer in terms of Hotels, the Mandarin Oriental should be your choice! Hands down, it is the very best!! Enjoy!

Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Just a quick overnight stay.....on my way back home to Costa Rica......check in was fast, professional, yet very friendly......received a complimentary upgrade to a Dynasty Suite......it was beautiful......comfortable......and much appreciated......room service was quick and the staff were very helpful and wanted to make sure everything was OK......the server in the AM even offered to adjust the TV for me......before I left I booked two rooms for my return in October.....this time for a three night shopping trip......already looking forward to that trip!

Tulemar Dave

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We sent for days at the Mandarín about a mouth ago. Location is dynamite. Staff very friendly but over twelve years of operation the hotels needs a major remodeling. The room and furniture looks worked and needs maintenance.

Room Tip: Top floor with the view of the building and the water.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was not up to the standards we strive to provide to all our guests. We focus on maintaining and updating the guest room furnishings and décor while ensuring total comfort for all of our guests.

The hotel is also undergoing an extensive refurbishment of its restaurants and lobby lounge area which will include a luxury bar that is scheduled to open at the end of the year.

We appreciate your feedback and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Kind regards,

Jorge Gonzalez
Area Vice President
Birmingham uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Overall this hotel is acceptable as a 5 star. The rooms are very good with all amenities that you would expect with great views. We did not like the bar or lack of bar that was just a seating area within the main entrance area. We also felt that the staff were a little precious especially trying to get a table in the downstairs restaurant and the bar. A little like they were doing you a favour ! Would I go back ? No I would try elsewhere. There is no warmth to this hotel leave it to the business travellers only.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to learn that your stay was not up to the standards of service we strive to provide to all our guests. I will share your comments with our colleagues and reinforce training, efficiency and attention to detail as we wish for all our guests to have a memorable and enjoyable stay at the hotel.

The hotel is undergoing an extensive refurbishment of its restaurants and lobby lounge area which will include a high end bar that is scheduled to open in mid-November of this year.

We appreciate and respect your comments and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Jorge Gonzalez
Area Vice President
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had a weekend break at the Mandarin Oriental Miami - and I really loved. First of all, the location is just perfect - (far) away from the hustle and bustle of South Beach (which I visited and did not like at all ). The island in which the hotel is located offers great jogging/walking opportunities; hotel has great views over the bay area as well over the skycrapers of downtown. I liked the layout of the rooms. I loved laying by the pool area so much that I never even visited the 'beach' they have in the hotel. Service in the pool is good, although a bit slow at times. Food was great in the hotel - especially breakfast was to die for.

In general, the service was top-notch - to give you an example I was warmly greeted by my name when I was escorted to my breakfast table.

There were some hickups too. Perhaps the biggest downside in the hotel is MO bar - of which I've visited several of other Mandarin Oriental hotels in different continents. It lacked the typical 'MO vibe' and actually was a rather dull lounge area in the lobby. The check-in was also a rather odd - I had booked a car with a driver (Mercedes 500) to pick me up from the airport and then take me to Design District (DD). I was hoping to have a quick check in before continuing to DD. Check in was quick but I was a bit astonished when the clerk - after happily welcomed me - told that my room was downgraded - WHAT! Well I accedpted it as I was in a hurry and as he told me that they have a very nice alternative room in a top floor. I think the reason for downgrading (they also reduced the daily price) was that on Sat. evening the hotel (beach and pool area) hosted a wedding ceremony and it might have been quite lound in the room that I had originally booked (room with a large balcony). In fact I'm sure that I enjoyed more the high-floor room as it had fantastic views.

I would definitely return.

BTW: If you like plane watching this is a hotel for you!

Room Tip: High floor rooms definitely.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!