“WITNESS” 4 of 5 stars

Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #8 of 129 hotels in Miami
“WITNESS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This will be a very candid review from start to finish.
I came from Atlanta to celebrate my birthday at the Mandarin Oriental. Upon check-in my room was not ready but that was not really an issue for me. I was offered a complimentary beverage while I waited but decided to visit Bayside instead for lunch and left my bag at the front desk. The front desk staff was absolutely amazing. The lobby is large and beautiful with the smell of heaven in the air.
About my room: on the 15th floor overlooking the bay and the City its beautiful in the daytime and spectacular at night. The arrangement of the room is elegant and artistic. The bed was not comfortable for me as it was extremely firm, the pillows and comforters carried a sweaty smell of old feathers, there was hair in my shower that did not belong to me and I was the only guest. Only because I am a critic I noticed it because it did blend into the marble tile. The tub is deep and comfortable for one person, height of the toilet both are accurately positioned lol I prefer aerodynamic toilets that are low and comfortable such as this one TMI. Overall I give the room a 3 even though it's really beautiful the firm bed and smelly pillows and comforter took away from it.
The spa:
You can make a car payment with the amount that you spend in the spa but oh my goodness it is worth it. Talk about service, quality, knowledge and variety. Estephania at the front desk of the spa is absolutely in the right position. Cheryl was my massage therapist and I say kudos to her. It's rare that you find a therapist that you don't have to say anything to so my body and spirit absolutely appreciated her on my birthday. The cleanliness of the spa is exceptional and I thoroughly enjoyed the sauna and the shower experience. I rate them at 5.
Cafe Sambal:
Speechless. The food, the service the love... the plating of the food, the hostess, the servers, the sushi bar, the kitchen staff... its too much to talk about so this 5 will sum it up. I'm not sure though why they have such an elaborate breakfast buffet because it does appear that a lot of it goes to waste. A 20/30 percent scale down will minimized waste and still offer a variety. its not just food in there its cuisine. kudos to Chef Robert and Chef Doug, to Stephanie, Ynell, Xoxoxo. To the pastry chef, thank you for making me cry and the person behind the wok I say yummy!
The pool and sand area:
the pool is small but quaint, so is the jacuzzi. I loved the hammocks and the sand area. Found it extremely relaxing and I spent many hours just enjoying the day there with the beautiful iguanas. the service in both areas by Enrique were appreciated.
The M bar:
Not what I expected. You can do so much better with that beautiful open space. It's more of a lounge area than anything but the service was great and watching the HEAT in the lounge / M bar was a nice treat. Truly, with a name like the M bar you really need to step it up a notch or two. Maybe I was just expecting more. Rated a 2 but 4 for service by staff.
Thank you to the staff that always opened the door for me. Thank you to bellhop, valet and all staff that work outside in the heat of Miami. This was absolutely a beautiful experience and your hospitality was greatly appreciated and truly memorable.

• Stayed June 2013

1,105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Mandarin Oriental in Miami is located on Brickell Key Island - a very exclusive area east of downtown. This property lives up to the Mandarin Oriental phenomenal reputation! The decor, atmosphere, suites and service is impecable and the view from your balcony - breathtaking!!
Azul is there signature restaurant - and is literally one the finest dinning experiences in all of Miami and South Beach. The only negative and reason for not giving the Mandarin five stars is its Spa .... in much need of renovating and enlarging.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Estero, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband & I frequently visit Miami and like to try out a different hotel every time. Mandarin Oriental has long been our list, but we've avoided it due to the often $500-$700/night rate. However, we saw a $350/night rate recently and decided to take advantage. It was worth every penny!

If you want to be in downtown Miami, you will love the location. It's just a couple blocks from all the best downtown restaurants, but you get the peace and quiet of being located across a small bridge on Brickell Key. If you want to visit South Beach, it's a short 15-minute drive.

The hotel was beautiful at every turn, but I expected that.

It was the flawless service that really exceeded my expectations. The staff goes above and beyond. A perfect example was the night my husband and I were sitting at M-Bar having drinks. We were debating ordering late night room service once we got back to our room, but were hesitant because we have a habit of doing that and then falling asleep before it arrives. Our server, Eric, suggested that he print a copy of the room service menu for us and he could pre-order it for us while we continued to enjoy our cocktails so that our room service would be waiting for us as soon as we got to our room. We loved the suggestion and the night worked out beautifully thanks to Eric. The staff anticipated and took care of our every need.

The only downside of the hotel that I could see is that the pool is rather small, but there were plenty of seats around it on the weekend we were there so that didn't even bother us.

I'm still not sure I would pay $600+/night, but anything less really is worth it for what you get in return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The service and staff where of the highest level, and made it clear it is a 5 star hotel in every gesture. The rooms are spacious, very well decorated and with a small balcony that we enjoyed very much. We used to stay at the Ritz Carlton, but Mandarin is definitely a notch up in every way. I highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Impeccable service, great decor, high quality rooms and a fabulous view of the Biscayne Bay makes this one of the best properties I have stayed in. Great location on Brickell Key, away from busyness of South Beach and Downtown, but with quick access to both. There isn't an area that I could point out and say that this property needs to significantly improve on - overall, an outstanding property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

A few friends and I stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Miami, because we wanted to stay away from the smaller South Beach hotels and crazy crowds. We were not disappointed. When we arrived at the hotel around 1pm, we were a little put off that we werent able to check in early but were told that because the Miami Heat just made the NBA finals, the hotel was completely full. Probably because the media and Spurs were all filing into the city. Also, it just so happens that the Spanish National Football (soccer) team was also staying at the hotel. So...celebrities and athletes galore.
The hotel was very accomodating and suggested we sit by the pool for some food and drinks while we waited for our room. 1st round on the Mandarin, of course. They just a sour situation into a positive and it was a great start to our trip. Drinks are easily $16-$20 each.
The hotel is very clean, modern and the service is excellent. Pool and lounge areas have great views and is not overly crowded. If you just go for the spa alone, it's worth it. They treat you like a million bucks. It's a great place to stay to get away from the typical South Beach scene.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at Mandarin Oriental Miami for second time and love the hotel. We usually try to pick a hotel which is calm and quiet enough for perfect relaxation. The location is ideal, it's close to Miami Beach but still located in more quiet neighbourhood. The pool isn't the biggest possible but nice anyway. We didn't experience any crowd so we were abe to get sunbeds at any time of the day. The pool bar is very nice and welcoming and serves really good dishes. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and most importantly quiet. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Bay view rooms are spacious and have a nice view.