“Excellent all around” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 120 Hotels in Miami
Southlake, Texas
“Excellent all around”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the MO Miami for 3 nights earlier this month. By way of a disclaimer, it was our first get-away together since our first child was born 5 years ago. So we were quite ready for a fun escape. Having honeymooned at the MO in Bangkok about 10 years ago, I decided to return to the brand for what I hoped would be a great experience. I was not disappointed.

The service at this hotel is beyond flawless. Nothing is too much trouble to any of the courteous and welcoming staff. Everyone we interacted with over our 4 day stay remembered us on each subsequent encounter, greeted us warmly and went our of their way to make sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our time at the hotel.

The property was quiet while we were in residence. There weren't any large conventions underway. When we checked in, we were given an upgrade from the category of room we had booked - a perk of the American Express card program we had used to make our booking. When we got to the room, we were disappointed by the small balcony. There was no room to sit out. A quick chat with the front desk and all was resolved graciously and without fuss. We were given a room with enough balcony space for 2 chairs and a table. The rooms are beautifully furnished and the beds supremely comfortable. During our stay, the room was immaculately tended to, twice a day.

We spent much of the first afternoon lazing on a large, round lounger for two on the beach. It's a beach only in so much as it's covered in sand, has beach chairs and umbrellas. You can't go swimming off this 'beach', but that didn't bother us. The beach staff were attentive, brining us cocktails and water as needed. No, the drinks aren't cheap, but heck, you're paying for the all-round experience, and it's worth it. The pool is surprisingly small - it's hard to tell from the website photos. Still, there are plenty of loungers and no shortage of staff to tend to your needs.

All of the dining options are great - from the pool-side snack service to the sushi bar inside one of the other venues. We tried them all and enjoyed each one.

Our only real disappointment was the spa. The treatments themselves were great, but the facility lacks many of the amenities you would associate with a truly top-tier spa. There are no soaking tubs, the relaxation area is small, unimaginative and somewhat clinical. There's no outdoor area associated with the spa, where you could possibly have a light lunch in between treatments. They must be a bit short on space. Were it not for our relative disappointment with the spa, I'd rate this property 5 out of 5. I wouldn't let that stop us returning to this hotel, I would just book a different spa.

Overall, a great property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fishface74

San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We chose this hotel in order to avoid the craziness of South Beach over Memorial Day weekend and it was the perfect choice. From the moment that we arrived until we checked out the service was impeccable. Every request was greeted with a smiling face and a willingness to assist. The hotel was quiet (although in the path of the airport, so you can hear the airplanes flying overhead) and very clean. We stayed in a Dynasty suite, which has a large balcony and 1 ½ baths. The hotel is located on Brickell Key which is a small island just off of downtown Miami. The Key is mostly residential with one small market and one restaurant (other than the hotel restaurants). There aren't a lot of shops/restaurants within walking distance so a car or taxi is recommended. There is a path around the Key which is nice for walking/running. Thanks MO for a great weekend!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Checked in for a few nights, but checked out after 1! Cupboard (wardrobe) in room had a funny old food smell. Instead of moving us, they tried to clean it and put an air fresher in. Most disappointing for a Mandarin chain! Location average and room nowhere near as good as other properties. Overall, very disappointing!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your comments are important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the experience you had at the hotel was not up to the standards we strive to provide to all our guests. I will address the deficiency in service that you encountered by our staff and will look into where the lapse occurred to take corrective measures to ensure this does not happen again.

I hope you will give us another opportunity and I am at your service for any future assistance.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was supposed to be a fabulous experience. Well, in my opinion it failed the test.
The public rooms were well appointed and the guest rooms were really lovely, but the service was less than stellar and the employees were not particularly pleasant. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I will address the lapses in service you encountered with our staff. I regret that we did not provide the level of service we strive to extend to all our guests and I apologize for the inconvenience experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team and make immediate improvements.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope you will reconsider and visit us again in the not too distant future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is my favorite hotel/spa in the world, hands-down, and an easy trip from New York when looking for a short getaway. The thing that distinguishes this place for me from everywhere else is that the whole place smells like a spa and the customer service is unparalleled.

I've stayed at other hotels in Miami and a night or two in one them might be nice for the South Beach vibe and partying, but if you are looking to get away to relax and for a little quiet and privacy, the Mandarin Oriental Miami with its own private man-made island, amazing food at all of their restaurants, and the luxurious spa is all you really need and a great way to cap off one's trip. The thing that makes this hotel extra special unlike the other Mandarin Orientals (like the one here in New York) is that the whole hotel smells like a spa from the lobby to the hallways to the rooms. It is utterly relaxing.

The service here is unparalleled from entry (I was greeted with a complimentary service) to exit (was personally walked out to my cab to the airport by the front desk). Everyone is exceedingly polite in that Asian-style way and as others have reiterated, they make you feel so special that by the time you leave you are convinced that you are indeed special. ;P

The spa here is also my personal favorite spa. The waiting lounge area has snacks and has live soothing running water going, they play a gong before the massage (to clear the air), they customize your massage for you, and you have to try the amazing thunderstorm shower that pelts water at you from all angles while making thunderstorm noises after your treatment. I remember coming back up to my room and passing out on my bed and thinking I felt so good I could just go now and be at peace. I actually made sure to buy their spa products before I left so I could take a bit of the experience back home with me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Christine N
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was there yesterday. Went in to buy a shirt at the Shanghai Tang store in the lobby and decided to have a drink by the bar luckily running into a friend. The pool bar is a very average looking place with a great view. The service, there, however makes the place welcoming and encouraging to stay. The same cannot be said for the lobby and staff spa. In an effort to match the sleekness of the marble and the serenity of the decor, true to ALL MANDARIN ORIENTAL, attitudes are wrongly presented as snotty and unwelcoming. Neither the words nor the faces with which information as basic as "where is the washroom" are given with PLEASURE but as a difficult exercise of pretension.
As a frequent traveller and a very frequent guest of Mandarin Oriental hotels in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Manila and Jakarta, what keeps me returning again and again is the understated elegance with which everything happens. A smile precedes a welcome, a thank you follows. Lobbies , pools and spas are LOCAL DESTINATIONS in which both residents and visitors mingle in the joy of being served with anticipation. True to Hong Kong is the fact that a pastry shop and a bakery are part of the restaurant, a success with the Island's residents for a long time. How much more down to earth ?
The luxury is in the details, the availability , the choices, and the serenity, but also in the respect for privacy and dedication to serve with anticipation.
The Mandarin Oriental Miami looks phenomenal and the location is pristine.
It can benefit much from something as simple as a guest video filmed at the bar of The Landmark as your order and receive a drink. The check in at The Excelsior, Lunch at The Clipper Room, also know as Hong Kong's "sitting room" Know why?, because it is so inviting, so current, so clean, so normal that it makes it FEEL WELCOMING AND YOURS.
After trying to make a reservation at the Spa and trying to buy oils at their shop, I gave up trying because it was unnecessary to inconvenience myself for being a customer, then I tried asking for directions to which no staff member tried to point to the right places with pleasure.
The feeling of INCONVENIENCING was a lot more prevalent than the feeling OF BEING WELCOMED. Good looking the Mandarin Oriental Miami yes, but is it necessary?. As I left and awaited the valet to fetch the car, a gorgeous female guest accidentally dropped her shopping bag. I helped her to pick it up. Elegant, impeccable, bejewelled, and stunning like an old Hollywood actress, with the most inspiring smile on her face she said THANK YOU. That was the only THANK YOU I heard during my 4 hour stay at the hotel. It came from a stunning GUEST because the STAFF was too consumed in pretension and too focused in being inconvenienced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SalazarB
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Booked through Expedia. Room was unclean. There was dried semen on the bed and bedside lamp, bird feces on the terrace chair, and dark stains on carpet. Complained and were moved to a guest room while they got a new room ready. To our dismay, new room was same category (not better). Talked to manager who called me a liar. See pictures as proof of stains. Asked for full refund. They said ok but then kept one night as a few. Really??

• Stayed May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
8 Thank nycinvestmentbanker
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. I personally apologize for the disappointing experience you had during your recent stay. This is definitely not up to the standards of service we strive to achieve every day.

I would like to turn around the unfortunate turn of events you experienced and ask that you contact the Executive Office to ensure your next stay at the hotel is an enjoyable and memorable one.

Mandarin Oriental, Miami
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Four Seasons Hotel Miami
EPIC Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
Hotel Beaux Arts Miami
#4 of 120 in Miami
4.5 of 5 stars 223 reviews

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!