“So so” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 129 hotels in Miami
London, United Kingdom
“So so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Checked in for a few nights, but checked out after 1! Cupboard (wardrobe) in room had a funny old food smell. Instead of moving us, they tried to clean it and put an air fresher in. Most disappointing for a Mandarin chain! Location average and room nowhere near as good as other properties. Overall, very disappointing!

• Stayed May 2013
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your comments are important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the experience you had at the hotel was not up to the standards we strive to provide to all our guests. I will address the deficiency in service that you encountered by our staff and will look into where the lapse occurred to take corrective measures to ensure this does not happen again.

I hope you will give us another opportunity and I am at your service for any future assistance.

1,122 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was supposed to be a fabulous experience. Well, in my opinion it failed the test.
The public rooms were well appointed and the guest rooms were really lovely, but the service was less than stellar and the employees were not particularly pleasant. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I will address the lapses in service you encountered with our staff. I regret that we did not provide the level of service we strive to extend to all our guests and I apologize for the inconvenience experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team and make immediate improvements.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope you will reconsider and visit us again in the not too distant future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is my favorite hotel/spa in the world, hands-down, and an easy trip from New York when looking for a short getaway. The thing that distinguishes this place for me from everywhere else is that the whole place smells like a spa and the customer service is unparalleled.

I've stayed at other hotels in Miami and a night or two in one them might be nice for the South Beach vibe and partying, but if you are looking to get away to relax and for a little quiet and privacy, the Mandarin Oriental Miami with its own private man-made island, amazing food at all of their restaurants, and the luxurious spa is all you really need and a great way to cap off one's trip. The thing that makes this hotel extra special unlike the other Mandarin Orientals (like the one here in New York) is that the whole hotel smells like a spa from the lobby to the hallways to the rooms. It is utterly relaxing.

The service here is unparalleled from entry (I was greeted with a complimentary service) to exit (was personally walked out to my cab to the airport by the front desk). Everyone is exceedingly polite in that Asian-style way and as others have reiterated, they make you feel so special that by the time you leave you are convinced that you are indeed special. ;P

The spa here is also my personal favorite spa. The waiting lounge area has snacks and has live soothing running water going, they play a gong before the massage (to clear the air), they customize your massage for you, and you have to try the amazing thunderstorm shower that pelts water at you from all angles while making thunderstorm noises after your treatment. I remember coming back up to my room and passing out on my bed and thinking I felt so good I could just go now and be at peace. I actually made sure to buy their spa products before I left so I could take a bit of the experience back home with me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was there yesterday. Went in to buy a shirt at the Shanghai Tang store in the lobby and decided to have a drink by the bar luckily running into a friend. The pool bar is a very average looking place with a great view. The service, there, however makes the place welcoming and encouraging to stay. The same cannot be said for the lobby and staff spa. In an effort to match the sleekness of the marble and the serenity of the decor, true to ALL MANDARIN ORIENTAL, attitudes are wrongly presented as snotty and unwelcoming. Neither the words nor the faces with which information as basic as "where is the washroom" are given with PLEASURE but as a difficult exercise of pretension.
As a frequent traveller and a very frequent guest of Mandarin Oriental hotels in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Manila and Jakarta, what keeps me returning again and again is the understated elegance with which everything happens. A smile precedes a welcome, a thank you follows. Lobbies , pools and spas are LOCAL DESTINATIONS in which both residents and visitors mingle in the joy of being served with anticipation. True to Hong Kong is the fact that a pastry shop and a bakery are part of the restaurant, a success with the Island's residents for a long time. How much more down to earth ?
The luxury is in the details, the availability , the choices, and the serenity, but also in the respect for privacy and dedication to serve with anticipation.
The Mandarin Oriental Miami looks phenomenal and the location is pristine.
It can benefit much from something as simple as a guest video filmed at the bar of The Landmark as your order and receive a drink. The check in at The Excelsior, Lunch at The Clipper Room, also know as Hong Kong's "sitting room" Know why?, because it is so inviting, so current, so clean, so normal that it makes it FEEL WELCOMING AND YOURS.
After trying to make a reservation at the Spa and trying to buy oils at their shop, I gave up trying because it was unnecessary to inconvenience myself for being a customer, then I tried asking for directions to which no staff member tried to point to the right places with pleasure.
The feeling of INCONVENIENCING was a lot more prevalent than the feeling OF BEING WELCOMED. Good looking the Mandarin Oriental Miami yes, but is it necessary?. As I left and awaited the valet to fetch the car, a gorgeous female guest accidentally dropped her shopping bag. I helped her to pick it up. Elegant, impeccable, bejewelled, and stunning like an old Hollywood actress, with the most inspiring smile on her face she said THANK YOU. That was the only THANK YOU I heard during my 4 hour stay at the hotel. It came from a stunning GUEST because the STAFF was too consumed in pretension and too focused in being inconvenienced.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Booked through Expedia. Room was unclean. There was dried semen on the bed and bedside lamp, bird feces on the terrace chair, and dark stains on carpet. Complained and were moved to a guest room while they got a new room ready. To our dismay, new room was same category (not better). Talked to manager who called me a liar. See pictures as proof of stains. Asked for full refund. They said ok but then kept one night as a few. Really??

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. I personally apologize for the disappointing experience you had during your recent stay. This is definitely not up to the standards of service we strive to achieve every day.

I would like to turn around the unfortunate turn of events you experienced and ask that you contact the Executive Office to ensure your next stay at the hotel is an enjoyable and memorable one.

Suresnes, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We booked here for the last night of our 8-nuight Florida vacation. We had high expectations, and a fresh comparison to be made with Four Seasons Miami, where we had stayed just one week before.

BOOKING there was easy on their web site, although the rates went up and down with yield management. We booked a Bay View Deluxe Room for $399+ in a B&B plan, with which we were reasonably happy, if not thrilled.

LOCATION : the building sits on the private Brickell Key, in a quiet area of already quiet downtown. We loved the situation, away from all hustle and bustle, yet a short and easy drive to South Beach. I do not know when it was built, but it is immaculate, having probably got a recent refurbishment, but the style of the building, and the structural treatment of some areas shows its age.
CHECK-IN was a breeze, in the opulent lobby. Acknowledged our business with Mandarin Oriental for the past 10 years, but not to the extent of upgrading us, even though I pointed that having requested the highest available floor, I did not feel 10th floor was that high ; I got back that it was the highest floor in THAT category, in the kindest way. OK, then !
ROOM 1011 was large. But we were disappointed with the view, hardly a Bay view. All we could see standing 3 meters from the floor to ceiling window was the skyline. The bay could only be seen to the left, standing close to the window. I called immediately and they offered a change on the same floor, to the same category, only further down the corridor to 1017, which offered a marginally better view. This happened in a jiffy : bell man happened to turned up as soon as I hang up the phone, and he showed us to the new room, while a new set of keys was brought up. We did not have to wait at all. 1017 still not standing up to the Bay View naming, if you ask me. Beautiful room, with a subtle Asian flair, decorated in warm tones, and fitted with the most recent technology, and a fantastic bed. Talking of the bed, the spring box is encased in a big wide wooden frame, which hurts badly ! I am not a big fan of the open bathroom, although you can bring down a shutter. The toilet is in a separate room, which is good. I did not like the too fragrant, too Caribbean orented no-name toiletry. Similar to Four Seasons : why do they go away Molton Brown and the likes ? Probably cost …
POOL AREA is not as large as the Four Seasons. The chairs are massively comfortable. The water is quite on the cold side. The beach area is an added feature, which we liked. OK, this is no SoBe, but your feet are in the sand, and you have saved the time for driving down. Service in both areas is top notch, smiling, and efficient.
BREAKFAST would be my major gripe. Not the food itself, abundant and tasty. Not the service, although they were kind of overwhelmed. But the outdoors area at Café Sambal is kind of dull, dark, partly covered, tight and noisy. It was packed with customers, lots of families with unbehaved kids, all lookind sloppy. I understand this is Miami, and a hotel on the water. But this is a Mandarin Oriental, and swim suits are beach outfits, not breakfast outfits. At least 35% of patrons were inappropriately dressed, and I believe that a minimal dress code should be enforced; this would be the major let down to the Four Seasons.
CHECK-OUT was easy, after they kindly extended a 1.00 pm check-out upon request.,

This is a great property, different in style from the Four Seasons, but equally good. It stands up to the Mandarin oriental reputation, at least outside Asia.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My family and I stayed here 2 nights as a stay-cation. We needed a little break and didn't want to stray far from home. This hotel is quite unique for Miami, first the Asian style and then it's location. Located on Brickell Key, it's a residential island, across a bridge from the Financial Center of Miami. The rooms enjoy nice views, even those overlooking the skyscrapers of downtown. The rooms a very large, uncluttered, and have a very luxurious bathroom. The small outdoor balcony had 2 chairs. It was pleasant to sit there in the evening. The infinity pool is nice, but small. The wait staff was helpful, but not intrusive. My daughter and I had pedicures in the spa, which is one of the best in the city. We ate lunch outside at Cafe Sambal. The food was Asian fusion, delicious, and they were doing a brisk business on a Friday at 1pm. The hotel has a private, man-made beach, but we did not go, since we live on the beach, it didn't seem worth it for us. They do have cabanas, loungers, sand and full service there on the beach. I like this hotel as an alternative to the craziness of South Beach. Lot's of international clientele and they can arrange shopping trips for out of town visitors. Very popular for the international traveler. 5 star plus!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!