“Awesome property, no let down” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   500 Brickell Key Drive, Miami, FL 33131 (Downtown)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 112 Hotels in Miami
Suresnes, France
“Awesome property, no let down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We booked here for the last night of our 8-nuight Florida vacation. We had high expectations, and a fresh comparison to be made with Four Seasons Miami, where we had stayed just one week before.

BOOKING there was easy on their web site, although the rates went up and down with yield management. We booked a Bay View Deluxe Room for $399+ in a B&B plan, with which we were reasonably happy, if not thrilled.

LOCATION : the building sits on the private Brickell Key, in a quiet area of already quiet downtown. We loved the situation, away from all hustle and bustle, yet a short and easy drive to South Beach. I do not know when it was built, but it is immaculate, having probably got a recent refurbishment, but the style of the building, and the structural treatment of some areas shows its age.
CHECK-IN was a breeze, in the opulent lobby. Acknowledged our business with Mandarin Oriental for the past 10 years, but not to the extent of upgrading us, even though I pointed that having requested the highest available floor, I did not feel 10th floor was that high ; I got back that it was the highest floor in THAT category, in the kindest way. OK, then !
ROOM 1011 was large. But we were disappointed with the view, hardly a Bay view. All we could see standing 3 meters from the floor to ceiling window was the skyline. The bay could only be seen to the left, standing close to the window. I called immediately and they offered a change on the same floor, to the same category, only further down the corridor to 1017, which offered a marginally better view. This happened in a jiffy : bell man happened to turned up as soon as I hang up the phone, and he showed us to the new room, while a new set of keys was brought up. We did not have to wait at all. 1017 still not standing up to the Bay View naming, if you ask me. Beautiful room, with a subtle Asian flair, decorated in warm tones, and fitted with the most recent technology, and a fantastic bed. Talking of the bed, the spring box is encased in a big wide wooden frame, which hurts badly ! I am not a big fan of the open bathroom, although you can bring down a shutter. The toilet is in a separate room, which is good. I did not like the too fragrant, too Caribbean orented no-name toiletry. Similar to Four Seasons : why do they go away Molton Brown and the likes ? Probably cost …
POOL AREA is not as large as the Four Seasons. The chairs are massively comfortable. The water is quite on the cold side. The beach area is an added feature, which we liked. OK, this is no SoBe, but your feet are in the sand, and you have saved the time for driving down. Service in both areas is top notch, smiling, and efficient.
BREAKFAST would be my major gripe. Not the food itself, abundant and tasty. Not the service, although they were kind of overwhelmed. But the outdoors area at Café Sambal is kind of dull, dark, partly covered, tight and noisy. It was packed with customers, lots of families with unbehaved kids, all lookind sloppy. I understand this is Miami, and a hotel on the water. But this is a Mandarin Oriental, and swim suits are beach outfits, not breakfast outfits. At least 35% of patrons were inappropriately dressed, and I believe that a minimal dress code should be enforced; this would be the major let down to the Four Seasons.
CHECK-OUT was easy, after they kindly extended a 1.00 pm check-out upon request.,

This is a great property, different in style from the Four Seasons, but equally good. It stands up to the Mandarin oriental reputation, at least outside Asia.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

My family and I stayed here 2 nights as a stay-cation. We needed a little break and didn't want to stray far from home. This hotel is quite unique for Miami, first the Asian style and then it's location. Located on Brickell Key, it's a residential island, across a bridge from the Financial Center of Miami. The rooms enjoy nice views, even those overlooking the skyscrapers of downtown. The rooms a very large, uncluttered, and have a very luxurious bathroom. The small outdoor balcony had 2 chairs. It was pleasant to sit there in the evening. The infinity pool is nice, but small. The wait staff was helpful, but not intrusive. My daughter and I had pedicures in the spa, which is one of the best in the city. We ate lunch outside at Cafe Sambal. The food was Asian fusion, delicious, and they were doing a brisk business on a Friday at 1pm. The hotel has a private, man-made beach, but we did not go, since we live on the beach, it didn't seem worth it for us. They do have cabanas, loungers, sand and full service there on the beach. I like this hotel as an alternative to the craziness of South Beach. Lot's of international clientele and they can arrange shopping trips for out of town visitors. Very popular for the international traveler. 5 star plus!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gibraltar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

We originally booked a Hotel on South Beach for our stay in Miami, but quickly realised its really not a great area if you're on a family trip with small kids. We decided to move to the quieter Bay area and found this hotel.

We had an absolutely fantastic stay! The booking and check in process was quick and efficient, the lobby was very impressive with its views out towards the Bay, the staff were all attentive and polite and the rooms are immaculate, modern and stylish. Its also worth noting that the food is really good. We had breakfast and lunch in the hotel restaurant (you get really good views of the city if you sit outside) and the food was top notch - the sushi was particularly good. I can also say hand on heart that the room service was the best I've ever had in any hotel, with a special mention going to the delicious Pad Thai.

We also found the location to be excellent; In a much quieter area than south beach but still close enough to the beaches and downtown for an evening trip.

I really would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Miami. Its absolutely worth every penny and has ensured I always look up the Mandarin Oriental chain whenever I travel abroad.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I returned once again to a tranquility of zen. Miami is a crazy city, but I always stay here due to the peacefulness, service and calming zen atmosphere. The service Claudio provides in Azul is amazing. He is an asset and I've been coming to this MO for years and am glad to see him on my returns. I once again recommend staying here over any other place in Miami.

• Stayed May 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I recently visited the Mandarin in Miami. What a wonderful stay. We were celebrating our anniversary and truly enjoyed ourselves. We arrived early (before noon) to the Miami area and I called the Mandarin to see if we could check in earlier than 3pm. Laura ( the person who I spoke to over the phone prior to getting there) first offered us a handicapped accessible room as all the other rooms were being cleaned. I told here that I preferred to have a regular room and she told us that we would have to wait but, that we could indulge in spa services or use the pool facilities during our wait. So we took a taxi over and once we reached the front desk she had a room ready for us before the usual 3:00 check-in time. We were so appreciative as we were a bit tired from waking early to travel. She personally walked us up to our room and assured us that if we wanted anything that she would be more than happy to assist us. Very nice touch in my opinion. I have never had the person that checks you in walk you to your room. Nice personal touches that patrons remember. Upon learning that we were celebrating our anniversary the hotel sent up some chilled chocolate covered strawberries to our room. Also, they program your television to read Welcome Mr. and Mrs. Blah blah blah when you first check into your room. Once again, nice personal touches that make the stay a little more special. The rooms were immaculate, tastefully decorated in simple Asian themes. View was very beautiful. Nice view of the Biscayne bay and nearby buildings. The beach was good for sunning but you can't really swim. At about three o'clock some big iguana looking lizards come out and walk around the beach area which is a little annoying but they are supposedly harmless and the staff kind of shoos them away. The pool area is very nice and you can purchase pitchers of mojitos or other fruity cocktails and snacks. The staff is very attentive and works hard to be pleasing. We also enjoyed the food. The chef (Chef Phillips) found out that we were vegan and prepared some mouth watering vegan banana pancakes and other tasty breakfast items for us. He came over and personally introduced himself to us and asked us if he could make any other special items for us in consideration of our vegan diet. We thought this was great. In my opinion, these types of things make a vacation extra special. Much of the staff made small talk and tried to personally connect with us which my husband and I appreciated because it makes you feel like they go a bit above what is customary. Overall, a great time. NIce staff, beautiful grounds, breakfast is really good, drinks were good too. We ate out at area restaurants that were not too far of a walking distance and cabbed it to another restaurant. Food at the hotel is pricey but most luxury hotels are that way. The only recommendation I would say to the Mandarin is that they should not charge patrons of room service $4.00 for a pitcher of ice water. Your patrons are already paying top dollar, no need to nickel and dime us for water. However, a good stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

First, you really cannot go wrong with the Mandarin brand. We stayed at this property all over the world and they exceeded my expectation every time. This Miami hotel is absolutely gorgeous and if you have a room with a city view like we did, that will be certainly an added plus.

No need to describe the ultra plush room, bathroom and amenities - all first class. A lot of thinking also went into designing a fully functioning working desk with power plugs, audio and HDMI plugs. Love it.

Then there is the Mandarin service. Nothing compares and this should be the gold standard for all luxury hotel.

If you stay at this hotel, make sure you take a stroll (or a jog) around the hotel island. Beautiful scenery around the water. You will not be disappointed.

As some reviewers said, this hotel is worth every penny. Our only regrets is we didn't stay longer!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

A great hotel in the heart of the city. Absolutely beautiful and worth every penny. Our suite overlooked the Miami Skyline. The staff was awesome. They really pay attention to every detail here. The bed was comfortable and bathroom was huge. If you can swing it, do it.

Room Tip: View of the skyline is a must.