“Nice but overpriced” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 130 hotels in Miami
Baltimore, Maryland
“Nice but overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Recently spent two nights at the hotel. Nice greeting, nice front desk help. Went high end with a room upgrade to a brickell suite. The room was large,nice, and clean. The bed was comfortable. The wood floors were slippery to socks and bare feet to the point of being hazardous. Room service was way overpriced. The food at the Azul restaurant was good but not deserving of the price. The bell staff was a mess and poorly managed - particularly the way they handle taxis and transport. One bellman was just rude. Apparently my concern was common and he'd heard enough from folks. Great hotels solve common issues. The view was pedestrian at best - the highway, bay, and skyline are ok but nothing beats a real water view without civilization. The pool was nice and pool service was strong. The "beach" was hauled in sand on small patch of land bordering a sea wall to the bay. No entry possible into the bay from the beach. All in all a 4 star hotel at a 5+ star price for this market.

Room Tip: Don't book here if you're after a great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. I regret to learn that your visit did not meet your expectations as we strive to ensure all our guests have a genuinely delightful experience. Our city resort is located on the island of Brickell Key with easy access to Miami’s downtown commercial districts, South Beach, Bayside, Coconut Grove and Key Biscayne. The hotel is also minutes away from Mary Brickell Village which offers and eclectic mix of upscale dining, shopping and entertainment options.

Although we are not a beachside resort, we pride ourselves on being a private island oasis away from the high energy of the beach area with Five-Star Spa and Azul restaurant. The tranquility and surroundings of our pool and man made beach, although not ample in space or made for swimming, provide a quiet escape for guests.

I sincerely apologize for the deficiency in service you experienced with our bell staff. I have gone back to address the staff on this issue and have taken immediate corrective action.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know of your stay. We appreciate your comments and hope you will reconsider with a return visit.

1,102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent 2 nights in late March 2013 in this beautiful hotel and then moved on to a hotel in Miami Beach. In hindsight, we would have been better off doing the reverse, as the Mandarin Oriental set the bar for the other hotel. The design of the rooms and lobby is typically asian, pure and understated but sleek. The location on Brickell Key may not be for everyone, great for business as it is close to the Brickell Avenue business district but not close to any entertainment or nightlife spots. The good thing about that is that the hotel doesn't have to deal with the typical "spring-breakers/party animals" and maintains an aura of serenity and elegance. The public areas are very well kept, there is a very nice walking / jogging path around the island that leads by the pool area. The "beach" is somewhat of an euphemism as there is sand and palm trees but no access to the water - the MO is not a beach hotel. The hotel's real differentiator is the attitude and service level of its staff - by no means a given in the Greater Miami area. All in all, go for it if you want a sophisticated place to stay in Miami with a nice tropical touch to it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night recently and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Yes, the hotel affords a more urban experience when compared to the likes of South Beach or Key Biscayne, but the clientele tends to be a mix of finance professionals and adults, making this a great getaway for couple in the midst of a bustling city. The pool and beach were tranquil. We found service to be quite attentive, and experienced no problems ordering lunch and drinks poolside. I was disappointed to learn that the beach area closed at 4pm for a private event, but such is life.

The room we had was nicely appointed, fresh, and very large, despite our basic room reservation. We overlooked the driveway but were on a high floor, and no noise disturbed us.

The fitness center was clean, with new equipment. One of the better hotel fitness facilities I've enjoyed. It's a bit cramped, however.

The breakfast buffet was bountiful and service in the restaurant was excellent.

The one nit I have is the tendency for some staff to be overly solicitous, to the point that conversation becomes stilted. Perhaps this behavior is part of the culture of the hotel given its Asian management.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a fine hotel with friendly efficient and helpful staff. Our balcony room had an uplifting view of high-rise Miami and the Bay around. There was only one drawback - the almost exclusively Oriental nature of the menu. Extremely palatable though Oriental food is, it`s good to revert to Western now and then. But the menu available in the Cafe and for Room Service offers little choice in this respect. The smart restaurant which perhaps might have provided an alternative was not open during our stay.
More easily improved was the indifferent "welcome" on our arrival. Nobody moved to open the taxi door and we had to ask for help with the baggage. Possibly this was a Sunday problem, since on other days the arrival door service was welcomingly quick friendly and efficient, as was the very pleasant and helpful service at Reception.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize for the lapse in service you experienced upon your arrival. I can offer no excuse for this disappointing welcome only my assurance that I will address with our team to ensure we continue to focus on providing excellent service that is gracious, personalized and attentive.

I regret to learn that the dining menu was not to your liking. Our talented culinary team continues to refresh the menus in our restaurants and In-Room Dining to ensure that it not only focuses on many Oriental favorites but also has a variety of other popular choices. We do thank you for your comments as we are interested to know that our guests have an enjoyable dining experience.

Thank you for your valued feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

As a frequent traveler to Miami/South Beach area, I am in LOVE with this hotel. What it lacks in location, it makes up for 10 fold in service, food and atmosphere. The "beach"area is pure heaven. You may not have the waves, but you certainly have peace, and a gorgeous view. The food is heavenly, the rooms are gorgeous, and you feel like you're in a spa the entire time. Pure bliss.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I along with another couple spent 4 nights at the hotel recently. Front desk staff were pleasant and professional, and our rooms were well appointed, as I would expect. However, when we went to have a bite to eat at the restaurant at the swimming pool, we sat at our table for quite a while before we were even acknowledged. Staff were milling around, and there appeared to be a manager present. I tried to catch his attention . . . finally he saw us and sent a waitstaff to tell us we would have to leave since they were going to be setting up for a private party. The next morning, when we called room service for coffee and breakfast, we were told there would be a one hour and fifteen minute wait! We carefully looked for a room service menu in our room that evening, and there was none (only received them 2 of the 4 nights we were there). Although our towels were changed in the evening, beds were not turned down, breakfast menus were not left, nor were drapes drawn. We enjoyed a delicious meal at Azul, and had great treatments at the spa. We liked the quiet location, and the staff were friendly and accommodating, but the attention to detail was missing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I will address the lapses in service you encountered with our staff. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the deficiencies experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback. Although, we regret that we did not meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My friend and I had a room booked at the Mandarin Oriental. I arrived at midnight after a 25 flight from the other side of the world. The hotel was booked with my friends credit card who was arriving a day later.
The hotel had been sent my name and check-in details by my friend in advance.
I provided my passport but when I couldn't produce my friends credit card, they turned me away.
The check-in staff Sebastian was one of the rudest and obnoxious people I have ever met in a luxury hotel.
I nearly ended up sleeping on the street. By the grace of God another guest at the hotel saw what was going on. This Good Samaritan paid for a room using his credit card until the next day when my friend arrived.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely apologize for the upsetting experience you had upon arrival to the hotel. This is definitely not to our standards. We have investigated the matter and taken corrective measures to ensure it does not reoccur.

We hope you will give us another opportunity with a return visit in the future. Please contact the Executive Office and we will ensure your next visit is seamless and enjoyable.

Jorge Gonzalez

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!