“A haven of peace in busy Miami” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #8 of 129 hotels in Miami
Seattle, Washington
“A haven of peace in busy Miami”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed for one night recently and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Yes, the hotel affords a more urban experience when compared to the likes of South Beach or Key Biscayne, but the clientele tends to be a mix of finance professionals and adults, making this a great getaway for couple in the midst of a bustling city. The pool and beach were tranquil. We found service to be quite attentive, and experienced no problems ordering lunch and drinks poolside. I was disappointed to learn that the beach area closed at 4pm for a private event, but such is life.

The room we had was nicely appointed, fresh, and very large, despite our basic room reservation. We overlooked the driveway but were on a high floor, and no noise disturbed us.

The fitness center was clean, with new equipment. One of the better hotel fitness facilities I've enjoyed. It's a bit cramped, however.

The breakfast buffet was bountiful and service in the restaurant was excellent.

The one nit I have is the tendency for some staff to be overly solicitous, to the point that conversation becomes stilted. Perhaps this behavior is part of the culture of the hotel given its Asian management.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

1,130 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a fine hotel with friendly efficient and helpful staff. Our balcony room had an uplifting view of high-rise Miami and the Bay around. There was only one drawback - the almost exclusively Oriental nature of the menu. Extremely palatable though Oriental food is, it`s good to revert to Western now and then. But the menu available in the Cafe and for Room Service offers little choice in this respect. The smart restaurant which perhaps might have provided an alternative was not open during our stay.
More easily improved was the indifferent "welcome" on our arrival. Nobody moved to open the taxi door and we had to ask for help with the baggage. Possibly this was a Sunday problem, since on other days the arrival door service was welcomingly quick friendly and efficient, as was the very pleasant and helpful service at Reception.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize for the lapse in service you experienced upon your arrival. I can offer no excuse for this disappointing welcome only my assurance that I will address with our team to ensure we continue to focus on providing excellent service that is gracious, personalized and attentive.

I regret to learn that the dining menu was not to your liking. Our talented culinary team continues to refresh the menus in our restaurants and In-Room Dining to ensure that it not only focuses on many Oriental favorites but also has a variety of other popular choices. We do thank you for your comments as we are interested to know that our guests have an enjoyable dining experience.

Thank you for your valued feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

As a frequent traveler to Miami/South Beach area, I am in LOVE with this hotel. What it lacks in location, it makes up for 10 fold in service, food and atmosphere. The "beach"area is pure heaven. You may not have the waves, but you certainly have peace, and a gorgeous view. The food is heavenly, the rooms are gorgeous, and you feel like you're in a spa the entire time. Pure bliss.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My husband and I along with another couple spent 4 nights at the hotel recently. Front desk staff were pleasant and professional, and our rooms were well appointed, as I would expect. However, when we went to have a bite to eat at the restaurant at the swimming pool, we sat at our table for quite a while before we were even acknowledged. Staff were milling around, and there appeared to be a manager present. I tried to catch his attention . . . finally he saw us and sent a waitstaff to tell us we would have to leave since they were going to be setting up for a private party. The next morning, when we called room service for coffee and breakfast, we were told there would be a one hour and fifteen minute wait! We carefully looked for a room service menu in our room that evening, and there was none (only received them 2 of the 4 nights we were there). Although our towels were changed in the evening, beds were not turned down, breakfast menus were not left, nor were drapes drawn. We enjoyed a delicious meal at Azul, and had great treatments at the spa. We liked the quiet location, and the staff were friendly and accommodating, but the attention to detail was missing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I will address the lapses in service you encountered with our staff. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the deficiencies experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback. Although, we regret that we did not meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My friend and I had a room booked at the Mandarin Oriental. I arrived at midnight after a 25 flight from the other side of the world. The hotel was booked with my friends credit card who was arriving a day later.
The hotel had been sent my name and check-in details by my friend in advance.
I provided my passport but when I couldn't produce my friends credit card, they turned me away.
The check-in staff Sebastian was one of the rudest and obnoxious people I have ever met in a luxury hotel.
I nearly ended up sleeping on the street. By the grace of God another guest at the hotel saw what was going on. This Good Samaritan paid for a room using his credit card until the next day when my friend arrived.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

We sincerely apologize for the upsetting experience you had upon arrival to the hotel. This is definitely not to our standards. We have investigated the matter and taken corrective measures to ensure it does not reoccur.

We hope you will give us another opportunity with a return visit in the future. Please contact the Executive Office and we will ensure your next visit is seamless and enjoyable.

Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We booked the Oriental Mandarin for our last night coming from The Bahamas before taking our flight back home the next day as a special treat for us. The location is just beautiful, on a semiprivate island with a little beach and pool overlooking the bay. We had a room with 2 doble beds, beautiful in decor, the bathroom had like a window opening to the room. We got an upgraded room with a breathtaking view over Miami Skyline and the ocean. The bathroom had plenty of thick large towels, there was complimentary chocolate in the room. We took the breakfast outside on the terrasse, the staff is very well trained, professional and very attentive, breakfast is kind of expensive but expected for a hotel of this category, the food was of very good quality, beautiful presented and very generous portions. I LOVED the healthy muesli/fruit choice, it was more than plenty.
The only minus is the high valet parking fee,34$ per night, what could be included in the 520 $ per night/room (plus taxes). Also the WiFi is charged extra with 15 $ per day.
The hotel allowed us a late check out, what was really appreciated by us. I would definitely come back again to enjoy this beautiful hotel again!

Room Tip: enjoy the breakfast on the terasse and if possible ask for a room in the higher floors for an even m...