“beautiful, a wonderful hotel experience” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #8 of 130 hotels in Miami
Bogota, Colombia
“beautiful, a wonderful hotel experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We booked the Oriental Mandarin for our last night coming from The Bahamas before taking our flight back home the next day as a special treat for us. The location is just beautiful, on a semiprivate island with a little beach and pool overlooking the bay. We had a room with 2 doble beds, beautiful in decor, the bathroom had like a window opening to the room. We got an upgraded room with a breathtaking view over Miami Skyline and the ocean. The bathroom had plenty of thick large towels, there was complimentary chocolate in the room. We took the breakfast outside on the terrasse, the staff is very well trained, professional and very attentive, breakfast is kind of expensive but expected for a hotel of this category, the food was of very good quality, beautiful presented and very generous portions. I LOVED the healthy muesli/fruit choice, it was more than plenty.
The only minus is the high valet parking fee,34$ per night, what could be included in the 520 $ per night/room (plus taxes). Also the WiFi is charged extra with 15 $ per day.
The hotel allowed us a late check out, what was really appreciated by us. I would definitely come back again to enjoy this beautiful hotel again!

Room Tip: enjoy the breakfast on the terasse and if possible ask for a room in the higher floors for an even m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

1,094 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay for business at the Mandarin Oriental. I knew I was in store for something good when Jennifer Aniston was in the lobby! In any event, the room I had was exceptional. Everything was very comfortable and the service at the hotel was great. Stacks up well relative to other Mandarin Oriental properties or relative to a Four Seasons type hotel. Recommended for those looking for a quiet place to stay on business in Miami.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I will start with the pluses... the staff is outstanding. They seemed to know my name everywhere and were all very nice, polite, unaffected and completely service oriented. The hotel is beautiful and there is a nice running path around the little island where I saw dolphins, stingrays and other beautiful creatures in the water like parrotfish. There are manatees there too but I didn't see any during my stay. They also have a Norman Love chocolate case there too which is an absolute MUST!!! I didn't eat at Azul but did eat downstairs. The views are amazing... just like the views from the rooms. Nice food. I can see why celebrities would like it because it is all very private.

On the minus side as I mentioned earlier it is not on the beach. There is a man made beach with a hammock or two and cabanas but you cannot access the water from it... so the pool is the more likely spot for most here. Also, and maybe this is an asian design thing, but the bathroom was open to the bedroom. It looks cool until you realize that the toilet is also open. If you want privacy you can pull a venetian blind down... but it's not the kind of privacy most of us are accustomed to and I would be a little uncomfortable with it if traveling with a girlfriend. Not all of the rooms have that feature but it's good to know about if you are on your honeymoon or something. :)

Room Tip: Ask if the bathroom is exposed - in particular the toilet- if you are not alone.
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Try another hotel, unless you would like phone attitude from the staff. The room was nice, and it should be for nearly $700. I can only assume that the pretentious staff, wishes they too were out of town too. Such terrible attitude from the staff, in particular, the manager.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am saddened to learn that you stay was not up to the standards of service we strive to provide to all our guests. I will share your comments with the team and reinforce training that focuses on providing excellent service that is gracious, personalized and attentive. We do not tolerate negative behavior from our colleagues and will address this seriously.

Thank you again for sharing your valued feedback and again my apologies for the disappointing experience. I hope you will give us another opportunity with a return visit to Mandarin Oriental, Miami.

Jorge Gonzalez
Rome
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Pros
I like the location far away from the bustle and hustle of south beach, but very close to downtown Miami and within walking distance to brickel, in a semi private small island with very scenic view
Nice room, very we'll appointed.
Great service and frendly staff.
Good buffet breakfast ($ 30)

Minus
No free wifi. They charge $ 15 per day $ 35 for 3 days.
No free adaptor ( it is part of the minibar at the cost of $15)
They block the credit card for room rate + incidental at the Check in without advice (this might be a problem for italian guests due to a different credit card policy)

Beside this minus issues the hotel is outstanding.

Can't wait to be back

Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Spectacular views from pretty much any room. The lobby is beautiful but the heavy, perfumed incense they burn (almost continuously) had me dashing away to find fresh air. The rooms are pretty but didn't knock my socks off. The bath is separated from the bedroom space by a wall with a large cutout. For privacy while bathing or showering, one has to bring down a shade. It's not an elegant concept, in my opinion. The potty has a private room, so at least that's something. One person in our party stayed in a suite and it was expensive but gorgeous. We had the brunch buffet and it was okay but not as special as I expected.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you can afford it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I reserved this hotel for my 21 year old daughter with a credit card 6 weeks prior to her visit. I was assured that no money would be deducted from my account at the reservation. I read online that a one night stay would be deducted. The personel at the hotel, said no, that never happens. Well, the deduction did occur. My disappointment with the personel's understanding of their own policies continued on. I received warm welcome emails, and payment emails and confirmation emails. When I called on the day of travel to pay in advance for her 3 night stay. I was told that this should have occurred 48 hours in advance to pay via a credit card, and now I should purchase an e-gift card off of their site. No where does it state this! Not on the emails, not on the website. When I did purchase the e gift card for payment, and asked how to transform that payment into something to present at the hotel, they suggested calling another company, because they do not directly handle this. In addition, they would not accept my credit card for the unstated, (but "travelers know this") $200.00 per night fee for incidentals. Having traveled in many countries and most states, I have never experienced such a disconnect between e-mails, websites and company personel. They do not understand what they are doing! It may be a language problem, or it may be a lack of employee training. No one needs this kind of confusion during what is supposed to be a "warm welcome." It felt more like a shake down with bad attitude.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MOResponse, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

We have very strict guidelines for payments over the phone due to the increasing fraud that is apparent . For the protection of all guests, the proper paperwork should be filled out in advance so that the hotel can qualify the information with the appropriate bank institutions. In the event that credit cannot be extended over the phone, an alternative method of payment would be through the Mandarin Oriental Gift Card program which can be found on our main website.

We apologize if there was any miscommunication regarding the payment of the room for your daughter. Please contact the Executive Office if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Greg Nunez
Hotel Manager

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!