“Great hotel in a great location” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Wifi
Ranked #9 of 130 Hotels in Miami
Cary, North Carolina
“Great hotel in a great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This hotel is in a great location on Brickell Key, just across a short bridge from downtown Miami. The staff were all courteous and helpful. The room and the bath area were large and well designed, and it was wonderful to have a balcony with a door you could open for fresh air and even sit on to enjoy the view. The the view is beautiful (not another wall of windows across the street or rooftops or such, as is too often the situation in high-rise hotels). Also the cafe in the hotel is wonderful. We had great sushi, great she-crab soup, and a great chocolate hazelnut dessert. All on a pleasant outdoor deck overlooking the bay. We are big coffee drinkers, so we requested an in-room coffee maker. They brought it along with some terrific ground coffee, much better than the usual pre-packaged coffee. This is not a brand new hotel, but it is beautiful inside, very well kept, orchids everywhere, elegant atmosphere, just a very pleasant place. There is also a small beach which we didn't have time to try, but it looked very inviting. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Wilmington, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Sad to say that I was super excited to stay the night at the Mandarin Oriental the night before our cruise but it was such a disappointment. The staff at the front desk were not helpful at all or flexible....the room was ok..nice view of the city....the pool area was pleasant but the food and beverages were totally overpriced!!! And the best part was we lost power in the hotel!
I booked thru AMEX fine hotels and I think they need to get this one off their list!!
Sorry to say that I wont be visiting this hotel again!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I will address the lapses in service you encountered with the front office staff. I regret that we did not provide the level of service we strive to extend to all our guests and I apologize for the inconvenience experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team and make immediate improvements.

The power outage experienced during your stay was unfortunately out of our control as it affected the entire area and was an issue that impacted the island which was repaired by the local power company as quickly as possible. I regret the interruption in service this created.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Although, we regret that we did not fully meet your expectations on this visit, we value and respect your opinion and hope you will reconsider and visit us again in the not too distant future.

Fairfield CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I stayed at this property almost 2 years ago and I was underwhelmed. The review is my profile. I was invited back by the manager and this time they got it right. My husband and I were flying in from Barbados after a long travel day. We had a ton of luggage from a photo shoot and the concierge arranged for a driver with an Escalade to pick us up from MIA. It was seamless. We arrived, handed over the luggage to the bell man to send off to another address via Fed Ex the next morning, which was also incredibly easy and trouble free. We checked in, found our executive suite to be pretty and very comfortable, and ordered a fantastic dinner of sushi. It was quite heavenly to take a nice shower with great hot water pressure, slip into a fresh robe and get into a very comfortable bed after a long day of boat rides and 2 flights. The next day I decided to spend an extra day relaxing, and went to the spa and had an amazing thai type compress massage. I enjoyed the beach and food. Some friends met me for dinner at the hotel ( Azul ) which was lively and fish excellent. We'll be staying here again when we're next in Miami.

edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

A 7 day break with my wife and not knowing the city stuck to a first class hotel brand.
The room we booked looked just a tad tired. Little details like a cheap plastic toilet pan lid surprised me and a couple of other minor points such as a wonky mini bar door.
I understand these are trivial but they are so simple to rectify. A 2 minute repair job. Our external terrace was, frankly, dirty, especially the dividing screen between each room.
Another issue is the lack of a bar of note. The M bar is within the hotel lobby and is poor. Not a bar per se but drinks brought to you from the restaurant into the Hotel lobby.
On a positive note, the staff were excellent and the girls by the pool side couldn't have been more helpful, (Raquel, for example).
All in all a reasonable experience but MO, you need to give the rooms a metaphorical lick of paint.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was not up to the standards we strive to provide to all our guests. We focus on maintaining and updating the guest room furnishings and décor while ensuring total comfort for all of our guests. I will review your comments with our staff and make the necessary corrections as indicated.

We appreciate and respect your comments which will be shared with our colleagues and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Kind regards,

Area Vice President
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I arrived at the hotel at 2am still jet lagged from a trip to Asia. I had just been at the original Mandarin in Hong Kong just five days before and immediately felt the same high level of unique service that I received while in Hong Kong. The Mandarin Group has achieved a distinct identity at the high end of the hotel food chain that sets it apart from its competitors. My room was great with an awesome view. The whole place felt very calm and serene. Lunch at the restaurant sitting outside was very nice especially in February and the Asian inspired menu was quite good.
The gym area was nice with a good selection of machines and equip

Oakland, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel recently. He attended a conference, I tagged along for the pool, beach and spa. This property is fantastic for business, only fair for recreation.

The positives: Five-star (impeccable) service throughout the hotel, at the pool, beach and spa; excellent food at the pool-side restaurant (though pricey, but that's expected); our room was very nicely appointed and had a very comfortable mattress, a wonderful supply of pillows and soft sheets; the gym was very well equipped, including non-traditional items such as yoga mats and large exercise balls. There is a lovely path along the water, all the way around the island, to walk and enjoy the kids playing in a nearby park, see the locals walking their dogs and the nannies walking their children. The location is perfect for a conference, and to walk to several excellent restaurants across the causeway. We did not try any restaurants at the property other than the pool-side one, as my husband really wanted to stretch his legs and see something new in the evening.
The negatives: The location for recreation , the "pool" and the "beach." The view from our room and from the "beach" across the water (the hotel is on a man-made island, Brickell Key, in the middle of Biscayne Bay) consists of downtown Miami office buildings and of the busy causeway below. The photos of the pool and the beach on the website were incredibly misleading! The pool was big enough for a dip to cool off, but better left to the birds (literally) as a birdbath (after 5PM, the birds were all on the side of the pool, drinking and washing themselves). I would have gotten dizzy if I had tried to swim laps. The beach has no water access, as the island is built up about 15 feet above sea level, and as there is a fair amount of shipping traffic in the busy bay (there is a port nearby as well). The sand that they imported to a corner of the hotel property is quite lovely, as are the beach chairs and umbrellas, and of course the service continued to be stellar (someone brought me water with ice, and kept refreshing it for me). I just had a hard time again, with the location, the views (skyscrapers) and the fact that the photos were so misleading. Also, the pedicure I received at the spa was decidedly not as good as the ones I get from my local nail spa, and at about five times the price. I hope that my experience was an exception to the rule, but since they had already included the tip on my bill when I went to pay, I didn't have the courage to have them take it off. There was a fair amount of airplane traffic over the hotel at night. We always travel with earplugs, so we were fine.
I researched, with the very helpful concierge, how I could actually get to a real pool and/or beach. The Viceroy Hotel (across the causeway) charges $45 for a pool/spa day pass. Instead, I took her other suggestion: I went to a lovely Kimpton property in Miami Beach (South Beach), with which they have an agreement (I assume) that had both a private beach and a 75-foot pool to do my laps. After a $20 cab ride and about 25 minutes (the traffic was quite bad due to some major street renovations downtown), I arrived and enjoyed my beach/pool day. For about $20 I rented a front-row beach chair, the beach "concierge" brought me breakfast, and I basked in the sun with the sound of the real waves in my ears. My return cab ride was again about 20 minutes and $20. I guess I spent more than I would have at the Viceroy, but at least I got my "real beach" fix.
Finally If you need a cab at a particular time, make sure you "reserve it" because it can be a long wait (at 8:50AM on a Tuesday, it took me 25 minutes to get a cab).
If my husband goes back next year, we may try to stay at another hotel, if it's not too inconvenient for him, but I'd be happy coming back to the Mandarin, now that I know what to expect. We have stayed in other Mandarin Oriental properties, and have always loved them!

Room Tip: The view is better on the South side of the hotel, if you prefer looking at a port and some green i...
Dear Guest,

Although we are not located in the heart of South Beach, we pride ourselves on being on a private island oasis of serenity away from the high energy of the beach area with a Five-Star Spa and excellent restaurants. The tranquility and surroundings of our pool and man-made beach, although not made for swimming, provide a quiet escape for guests trying to get away from other crowded areas of the city.

During entertainment filled weekends taxis can take a little longer than expected but we alert guests in advance through in-room communication channels letting them know to give ample time to get to their desired destination.

Thank you again for your feedback which is very much appreciated and taken into consideration.

I hope you and your husband will come back to stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami.

Kind regards,
Area Vice President
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nice rooms, great views, very attentive service and convenient to everything. We had a great "couples massage" and although there is less space to relax and luxuriate that other spas, there was a steam room and sauna. We also enjoyed the huge Sunday brunch that went on forever.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!