“Bad Ending” 3 of 5 stars

Complimentary 3rd Night
Ranked #8 of 130 hotels in Miami
“Bad Ending”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Am a big fan of MOs and often stay when I can. The hotel is very nice and our suite was good. Was surprised that some of the furniture was beat up, the carpet and fabric on the couch was stained. Usually never see that at a Mandarin.

We departed the hotel after putting our bags in storage only to discover later in the day before our departure from Ft. Lauderdale that we were missing a backpack. Major panic as my son was leaving for London the next day and his laptop and other papers were in the backpack. We called twice to the hotel and gave them the locations on where to look for the backpack. Both times two separate people called back to tell us they could not find it. Out of sheer desperation I called back a third time to speak with the manager. He located it in less than five minutes. Did they even look the first two times? Thought the whole episode was very odd.

To be fair they did drive it to the airport for us and we had ten minutes to spare but got the item. Can't tell you how much stress this was on all of us. While we also have some responsibility here for not matching the bags with our claim check, you would think after spending thousands of dollars in three nights for a suite they would have found the bag sooner, or taken our request more seriously. Odd they found it immediately once we contacted the manager.

Not the way we wanted to end the stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying at Mandarin Oriental, Miami and for taking the time to write about your stay on Trip Advisor.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and stress you experienced during your recent stay due to the missing bag left behind. I will address this issue again with our bell staff team.

I hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon and thank you for your valued feedback.

1,102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Staff are well trained (efficient and friendly - a bit 'too much' - maybe a cultural thing - but I cannot criticize - they remember your name; guide you to the bar, elevator, spa, restaurant or wherever you need to go, rather than point & direct).

Food was very, very good (we ate twice in Cafe) - it was well executed, tasty and fairly priced.

Would consider another MO again - but what is with the WIFI gauging? I don't mind paying to have ice delivered to my room, pay for movies on the tv, pay for valet parking - but I am increasing used to getting WIFI for free (irrespective of charge of the hotel) - I consider it as essential as a pillow or a bed sheet.

PS Room wasn't available on check-in at 2pm; this was slow and miscommunicated (but I wasn't in a rush, so no problem, and was before the 3.00pm check in time).
Room appointments a little dated.

Maybe someone could enlighten me - am I unreasonable about WIFI charges in hotels?

Room Tip: the higher the better!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am delighted to learn that over all you had an enjoyable stay at Mandarin Oriental, Miami

With regards to the Internet, some hotels do offer free Internet access, but the service offered is limited (low bandwidth, lack of security, poor signal) which we understand but would be unacceptable in a luxury hotel. The Internet is more than communications to our guests – whether they are using it to bank online, check investments, book travel, check information or their emails, we assure you that we will continue to invest in this technology to offer our guests the quality of service with the performance and security that you would expect of Mandarin. It is an important service offering that we consider of value to those that use it.

We appreciate and respect your opinion and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

& General Manager
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Exactly what one would expect from a Mandarin - and the Miami hotel does not disappoint. From the moment we checked in until check out, we were expertly taken care of. The staff was friendly, attentive and eager to make our stay perfect. Beautifully appointed, the hotel is ideally located downtown with striking views of the Miami skyline. We had a lovely balcony room overlooking the bay. Our room was tastefully appointed with down comforters and pillows, a sprawling bathroom and an entertainment system that will make most techies quite happy.

And if you're wanting to partake of the spa services, you won't be disappointed. An 80 minute deep tissue massage was fantastic. The massage rooms were beautiful and with a wide array of services provided (facials, pedicures, manicures, massages). Truly relaxing and the perfect way to wrap up a vacation.

Definitely a fantastic hotel in a beautiful city.

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking Brickell Bay.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Bland, MO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having stayed several times in Hong Kong at Manadin, and was so happy, decided to try the USA Miami version. Bad choice. Here I am…. So far regretting every moment. I should have took the clue, of when I arrived and was getting my bags from trunk of limo, door man asked if I was checking in, and told him I was, but did not need any help. So he left and closed the entry door in my face. I guess no tip coming, no service. Checked in, got an “upgrade” to same room but with a different view. Then is got fun/ Entered room, and 1st thing I see is a stand alone sort of dresser, that apparently has the mini bar in it… with the top held on with 5 large, wide, long pieces of masking tape covering the doors to cabinet. I travel about 100 nights a year, mostly internationally, and have for some 30 years. This was a first. Called operator to be connected to a manager… 20 rings later… no answer. They have a “guest assistance” button that goes to the operator only it seems. Went back downstairs, and got another room, was sorry, but no offer of any compensation. As a side note… Desk drawer had very nice looking large folder in it.. says “message from management”. Nothing in it. Seems sort of fitting… implying no one home.. After no answer to 20 rings on the phone. Just fyi.
Had lunch. A salad.. asked for blue cheese dressing... they do not carry it I am told... unbelievable.

I have stayed at the property in Hong Kong several times. No comparison. Not even close.

Room Tip: go somewhere else... most any where else....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was not up to the standards of service we strive to provide to all our guests. I will share your comments with our colleagues and reinforce training, efficiency and attention to detail as we wish for all our guests to have a memorable and enjoyable stay at the hotel.

We focus on maintaining and updating the guest room furnishings and decor while ensuring total comfort for all of our guests.

We appreicate and respect your comments and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in August 2011. We have stayed in a lot of hotels all over the world including hotels such as Trump towers in Chicago in 2012. We were on a trip of a lifetime - Vegas, Miami and New York. We wish we had stayed longer in Miami because this hotel was outstanding. their service was second to none and the staff couldnt do enough for you. Although its in the financial district and not on Miami beach, it was the right choice. brickell key was a short walk away which had enough restaurants and bars to suite anybody. There was even a 'live' music bar where people could get up and sing (no, not Karaoke) the people that got up sang with the band, it was great entertainment as they could all sing pretty good. Anyway, I would go back there tomorrow and definitely stay in the Mandarin Oriental - If you want a brief glimpse of it, it was featured on Bad Boys 2 - the movie. Have fun and take your trainers (sneakers) as there is a great run around the island that the financial district is located on.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Earth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Overall our 4 night stay at the Mandarin Miami was OK but there was nothing really special about this hotel or the service or the attitude we experienced. Maybe we are already too spoiled but having experienced other MO-Hotels like in Las Vegas or in Boston our impression was that this Miami outlet of the MOHG is certainly well behind others in the group. To start with and as already mentioned by others the location on Brickell-Key is a little bit of the beaten track. You will absolutely need a car and expect to drive a lot. Upon our arrival the front desk staff member was not overly welcoming. As first time guests we where not escorted to our room but had to find the way by ourselves. Having booked a "Deluxe Bay View Room" I expected at least some balcony. After arrival I noticed that our room had just a small outlet but no chairs or whatsoever. No big deal for one night but for a 4 night stay I was not satisfied. So I requested a room change but staff was only willing to move me after I agreed to pay an additional 20 US Dollars per night since this was some kind of an "upgrade". Also no big deal, but it left some bad taste giving the fact that we already paid 500 Dollars per night. The second irritation occurred at the concierges-desk where I inquired about restaurants. I felt like I was disturbing the staff member since he handed me over just a plain brochure without any explanations or further inquiry. I left somewhat irritated and confused.

We had breakfast in the hotel twice and honestly it felt to me like a “rip-off”. Paying almost 100 Dollars for 2 did not buy you a particular good breakfast or a nice atmosphere. Waiters where inattentive and lots of crows were picking on the life-overs of other tables.

Rooms a OK but also nothing special. Personally I find the open bathroom somewhat awkard. The pool area is nothing special. Only the litte strip of "beach" on the tip of the island is nice. Nevertheless expect constant acoustic pollution by music from the abundant loudspeakers.

Overall the Mandarin is OK, but nothing really special. I would most certainly look for another hotel if in the Miami area unless they offer me some good deal on the room rates.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I will address the lapses in service you encountered with some of our staff. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the deficiencies experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team.

Our city resort is located on the island of Brickell Key with easy access to Miami’s downtown commercial districts, South Beach, Bayside, Coconut Grove and Key Biscayne. The hotel is also walking distance away from the new Mary Brickell Village which offers an eclectic mix of upscale dining, shopping and entertainment options.

Although we are not located in the heart of South Beach, we pride ourselves on being a private island oasis away from the high energy of the beach area with Five-Star Spa and excellent restaurants. The tranquility and surroundings of our pool and man made beach, provide a quiet escape for guests trying to get away from other crowded areas of the city.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know of your stay. We appreciate your comments and I hope you will reconsider with a return visit.

São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Couldn´t find anything to dislike about my stay: wonderful room with all amenities and a fantastic view of Brickell Bay, great location, attentive staff. Sure, it´s pricey, but there´s no free lunch nowadays, or is there...?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!