“In name only” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 130 Hotels in Miami
Bland, MO
“In name only”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Having stayed several times in Hong Kong at Manadin, and was so happy, decided to try the USA Miami version. Bad choice. Here I am…. So far regretting every moment. I should have took the clue, of when I arrived and was getting my bags from trunk of limo, door man asked if I was checking in, and told him I was, but did not need any help. So he left and closed the entry door in my face. I guess no tip coming, no service. Checked in, got an “upgrade” to same room but with a different view. Then is got fun/ Entered room, and 1st thing I see is a stand alone sort of dresser, that apparently has the mini bar in it… with the top held on with 5 large, wide, long pieces of masking tape covering the doors to cabinet. I travel about 100 nights a year, mostly internationally, and have for some 30 years. This was a first. Called operator to be connected to a manager… 20 rings later… no answer. They have a “guest assistance” button that goes to the operator only it seems. Went back downstairs, and got another room, was sorry, but no offer of any compensation. As a side note… Desk drawer had very nice looking large folder in it.. says “message from management”. Nothing in it. Seems sort of fitting… implying no one home.. After no answer to 20 rings on the phone. Just fyi.
Had lunch. A salad.. asked for blue cheese dressing... they do not carry it I am told... unbelievable.

I have stayed at the property in Hong Kong several times. No comparison. Not even close.

Room Tip: go somewhere else... most any where else....
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MOResponse, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Miami, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I am sorry to learn that your stay was not up to the standards of service we strive to provide to all our guests. I will share your comments with our colleagues and reinforce training, efficiency and attention to detail as we wish for all our guests to have a memorable and enjoyable stay at the hotel.

We focus on maintaining and updating the guest room furnishings and decor while ensuring total comfort for all of our guests.

We appreicate and respect your comments and hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back again.

Jorge Gonzalez
Area Vice President

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel in August 2011. We have stayed in a lot of hotels all over the world including hotels such as Trump towers in Chicago in 2012. We were on a trip of a lifetime - Vegas, Miami and New York. We wish we had stayed longer in Miami because this hotel was outstanding. their service was second to none and the staff couldnt do enough for you. Although its in the financial district and not on Miami beach, it was the right choice. brickell key was a short walk away which had enough restaurants and bars to suite anybody. There was even a 'live' music bar where people could get up and sing (no, not Karaoke) the people that got up sang with the band, it was great entertainment as they could all sing pretty good. Anyway, I would go back there tomorrow and definitely stay in the Mandarin Oriental - If you want a brief glimpse of it, it was featured on Bad Boys 2 - the movie. Have fun and take your trainers (sneakers) as there is a great run around the island that the financial district is located on.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms are great.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Earth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Overall our 4 night stay at the Mandarin Miami was OK but there was nothing really special about this hotel or the service or the attitude we experienced. Maybe we are already too spoiled but having experienced other MO-Hotels like in Las Vegas or in Boston our impression was that this Miami outlet of the MOHG is certainly well behind others in the group. To start with and as already mentioned by others the location on Brickell-Key is a little bit of the beaten track. You will absolutely need a car and expect to drive a lot. Upon our arrival the front desk staff member was not overly welcoming. As first time guests we where not escorted to our room but had to find the way by ourselves. Having booked a "Deluxe Bay View Room" I expected at least some balcony. After arrival I noticed that our room had just a small outlet but no chairs or whatsoever. No big deal for one night but for a 4 night stay I was not satisfied. So I requested a room change but staff was only willing to move me after I agreed to pay an additional 20 US Dollars per night since this was some kind of an "upgrade". Also no big deal, but it left some bad taste giving the fact that we already paid 500 Dollars per night. The second irritation occurred at the concierges-desk where I inquired about restaurants. I felt like I was disturbing the staff member since he handed me over just a plain brochure without any explanations or further inquiry. I left somewhat irritated and confused.

We had breakfast in the hotel twice and honestly it felt to me like a “rip-off”. Paying almost 100 Dollars for 2 did not buy you a particular good breakfast or a nice atmosphere. Waiters where inattentive and lots of crows were picking on the life-overs of other tables.

Rooms a OK but also nothing special. Personally I find the open bathroom somewhat awkard. The pool area is nothing special. Only the litte strip of "beach" on the tip of the island is nice. Nevertheless expect constant acoustic pollution by music from the abundant loudspeakers.

Overall the Mandarin is OK, but nothing really special. I would most certainly look for another hotel if in the Miami area unless they offer me some good deal on the room rates.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of Mandarin Oriental, Miami on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

I sincerely apologize that the overall quality of your stay was disappointing. I will address the lapses in service you encountered with some of our staff. I regret that we did not provide the level of service expected and apologize for the deficiencies experienced. I assure you I will address your comments with the team.

Our city resort is located on the island of Brickell Key with easy access to Miami’s downtown commercial districts, South Beach, Bayside, Coconut Grove and Key Biscayne. The hotel is also walking distance away from the new Mary Brickell Village which offers an eclectic mix of upscale dining, shopping and entertainment options.

Although we are not located in the heart of South Beach, we pride ourselves on being a private island oasis away from the high energy of the beach area with Five-Star Spa and excellent restaurants. The tranquility and surroundings of our pool and man made beach, provide a quiet escape for guests trying to get away from other crowded areas of the city.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know of your stay. We appreciate your comments and I hope you will reconsider with a return visit.

Jorge Gonzalez
Area Vice President
São Paulo, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Couldn´t find anything to dislike about my stay: wonderful room with all amenities and a fantastic view of Brickell Bay, great location, attentive staff. Sure, it´s pricey, but there´s no free lunch nowadays, or is there...?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Cardiff, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here for 1 night for my husband's 30th before taking our 3 year old to Orlando for a week. As soon as we arrived, we loved it! We love the MO hotel group and this one definitely did not disappoint. The valet were very polite and attentive. The reception staff at check in also provided the 5* service we would expect, even providing us with some ice tea after our 12 hour flight. Check in was swift and easy. Upon entering our room, we had a lovely view of the Miami coast and the room was warmly lit for the evening. The hotel had laid out a very tasty chocolate cake for my husband's birthday, which our 3 year old enjoyed! The bed was so comfortable and we had an amazing night's sleep.

In the morning, we made use of the tea/coffee facility in reception while relaxing in our room before going to breakfast. The food at breakfast was buffet style and catered for all. Following breakfast we walked around the small island that the hotel is on before going to the pool area and beach area. This part of the hotel was so peaceful and relaxing, I didn't want to leave. It felt like paradise. The staff provided towels and cold drinks, as well as fruit.

Overall, I couldn't fault this hotel and the service provided by the staff. I would suggest anyone who wants a relaxing break, book themselves into the Mandarin Oriental!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Everything about this hotel was amazing, staff, pool, decor, restaurants, etc. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The only downfall is that it's not located on the beach instead they have a man made beach.

• Stayed December 2012
Hampshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Took our family of 5 here from the UK for a 3 night break. Yes, the hotel is probably worthy of 5 stars - the service is excellent, the rooms are very good, the food is recommended, the view from the hotel over the mall bay is magnificent. Howeve, it's just lacking a certain something......CHARACTER! Visually, the hotel is very bland, it's in quite an isolated spot (great for business, however there's very little to do in the direct vicinity of the hotel for a family), and dare I say the excellent service was all delivered without much warmth and sincerity compared to other MO hotels I've stayed in. Downsides? Small things really: the breakfast is overpriced, as is the $15/day Internet fee. Also, we asked the concierge to recommended a good hamburger restaurant for 3 hungry UK kids - and after a $25 taxi ride he had pointed us to a real cheap, takeaway, 'eat on trays' restaurant. Would a Mandarin guest really want that?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Miami? Share your experiences!